What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I bought the Dukes of Hazzard Complete Collection that was released in Canada. It has the same exact discs as the previous season releases, but none of the double sided discs will play. Anyone else have this problem? The discs come stacked on top of each other, but I don't see any scratches bad enough to prevent playback. My double sided discs from the original releases still play fine.

Jeremy, I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that I've had problems with at least 1 or 2 flipper discs that won't play all the way through.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Out of sheer curiosity and completely against my better judgement, I decided to check out the crappiness of this newer repackaged flipper version of season 2. There were three copies of this particular repackaged set, on the shelves at a nearby Walmart.

As soon as I got home, I checked the discs on the computer and saw that they were largely DOA. None of the discs could be read through its entire iso filesystem. When I ran a data recovery tool on these discs, I noticed the entire second layer on these flipper discs had problems being read.

So I went back to the WM and exchanged the first copy for another one. Exact same problems with the second copy, and I did another exchange. Same deal with the third copy. The customer service clerk eventually just offered a refund when I exhausted all the outlet's inventory of three copies of this repackaged Dukes season 2 flipper set.

Further evidence these discs were all DOA, was that I checked them using four different computer dvd drives manufactured by different companies (LiteOn, LG, Samsung, and Panasonic/Matshita).

For reference, all these bad discs from these repackaged Dukes season 2 flipper sets, had an IFPI facility code of KKNX.

If you ever buy any double-sided flipper discs with IFPI facility code KKNX, you should check the discs immediately and most likely you will end up returning them for a refund. :)

In contrast, previous Dukes flippers sets with the older bulky packaging typically had an IFPI facility code of KM* or 2U*. The IFPI facility code 2U* ones were manufactured at Cinram's Olyphant, Pennsylvania plant until 2010. Sometime in 2010, Warner change their disc manufacturing to Thomson/Technicolor's plant in Mexico.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For the longest time, double-sided flipper discs manufactured at Thomson/Technicolor's plant in Guadalajara, Mexico typically had IFPI facility codes of KM*, such as many of those notorious Universal double-sided flipper disc tv season sets from 2004-2006, and some of the Dukes and Dallas flipper sets manufactured after 2010.

In spite of being really annoying, at least most of these old flippers with IFPI facility code KM* could actually be read on the computer in their entirety.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This might not mean anything).

Just noticed the canada amazon doesn't even stock the 2015 re-released version of the Dukes season 2 set. It is only third party dealers offering it.

Perhaps Warner got back too many returns of defective product, and might be reconsidering their decision to reissue season 2 as double-sided flipper discs?

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
I tried the discs on two different DVD drives and two different DVD ripper programs. The problems usually would begin at the end of the 2nd episode or the start of the 3rd on each side.Since it seems to be a manufacturing problem, I guess I won't bother re-buying this set. Seasons 3 and 6 won't play all the way through either. I wonder how well the single sided season 1 sold when it came out in 2013. Must not have been enough to do season 2. Surely it didn't cost much to do though, since the content was exactly the same. Even the menus that told you there were episodes on the other side were not changed.

Maybe once Warner feel the flag controversy is forgotten, they will issue another set that is single sided with the new HD masters. Maybe for the 40th anniversary.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I wonder how well the single sided season 1 sold when it came out in 2013. Must not have been enough to do season 2. Surely it didn't cost much to do though, since the content was exactly the same. Even the menus that told you there were episodes on the other side were not changed.

I don't believe this first argument ^ holds water. :)

On the shelves at various nearby Walmarts and other local retailers, I have seen all the repackaged versions of the seven season sets of Dukes. (They all had a 2015 date on the back cover, except for season 1). It was obvious the season 4 and 5 sets had eight or more discs, judging by the thicker sized case and significantly heavier weight than an individual season 2, 3, or 6 set on the same shelf. The season 7 set also felt heavier too than the season 2 set.

So in principle, seasons 2, 3 and 6 could have all been re-released as eight (or more) single-sided discs sets, just like they did for seasons 4 and 5.

Maybe once Warner feel the flag controversy is forgotten, they will issue another set that is single sided with the new HD masters. Maybe for the 40th anniversary.

The flag issue wasn't as big of a controversy outside of america. Don't really hear much about it in places like canada, uk, europe, etc ...

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I tried the discs on two different DVD drives and two different DVD ripper programs. The problems usually would begin at the end of the 2nd episode or the start of the 3rd on each side.Since it seems to be a manufacturing problem, I guess I won't bother re-buying this set. Seasons 3 and 6 won't play all the way through either.

This ^ would be consistent with my computer analysis of the 2015 rereleased repackaged season 2 sets of flipper discs from the three copies I went through recently. Usually the latter part of the second episode and/or the third episode on a particular flipper face, would be consistent with the second layer having reading problems.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
@jeremy223

Just wondering.

If you examine the first transparent inner ring away from the center of the disc of your seasons 2, 3, and 6 flipper discs (from the complete series set), is there IFPI KKNX written on the transparent ring in almost microscopic letters?

The IFPI codes are very easy to miss if you're not looking for them. Might need a magnifying glass to see and read them.

Here's a semi-official document from IFPI, which discusses how the IFPI codes are implemented. It has some pictures of what to look for.

http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/sid-code-implementation-guide.pdf

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
In contrast, Universal has much more common sense than Warner Bros. Notice they didn't pull Smokey and the Bandit from rotation (which was credited for inspiring The Dukes of Hazzard, and also had a Confederate Flag car). They also didn't pull the three episodes of Knight Rider (The Duke Boys' biggest rival for three seasons) that prominently featured the Confederate Flag from rotation ("Short Notice", "Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death" and "Knight Racer")

Why does Universal get it, but Warner does not? What is Warner so afraid of?

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
I don't believe this first argument ^ holds water. :)

On the shelves at various nearby Walmarts and other local retailers, I have seen all the repackaged versions of the seven season sets of Dukes. (They all had a 2015 date on the back cover, except for season 1). It was obvious the season 4 and 5 sets had eight or more discs, judging by the thicker sized case and significantly heavier weight than an individual season 2, 3, or 6 set on the same shelf. The season 7 set also felt heavier too than the season 2 set.

So in principle, seasons 2, 3 and 6 could have all been re-released as eight (or more) single-sided discs sets, just like they did for seasons 4 and 5

The flag issue wasn't as big of a controversy outside of america. Don't really hear much about it in places like canada, uk, europe, etc ...

Seasons 4,5 and 7 were single sided the first time around, so nothing changed there. The reason I think the season 1 re-release didn't sell well was because we didn't get 2,3 and 6 released and it looks like there were plenty of season 1 stock left over so they just threw them in the complete sets instead of doing new 2015 pressings like the other seasons.

This particular complete series release was at least initially a Canada only release.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
@jeremy223

Just wondering.

If you examine the first transparent inner ring away from the center of the disc of your seasons 2, 3, and 6 flipper discs (from the complete series set), is there IFPI KKNX written on the transparent ring in almost microscopic letters?

The IFPI codes are very easy to miss if you're not looking for them. Might need a magnifying glass to see and read them.

Here's a semi-official document from IFPI, which discusses how the IFPI codes are implemented. It has some pictures of what to look for.

http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/sid-code-implementation-guide.pdf
It is hard to see but it looks like mine says KKAV on seasons 2 and 3.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It is hard to see but it looks like mine says KKAV on seasons 2 and 3.

Thanks for looking.

I get the impression that double-sided flipper disks with IFPI KK** are a completely new breed of crapiness.

At least with older double-side flipper discs with IFPI KM** (such as Universal, and some post-2010 Warner stuff), they were usually playable on a computer.

It seems like these IFPI KK** double-sided flippers are either DOA or they go bad very quickly after a short period of time after manufacturing.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Some speculation).

As to why exactly the canada Warner decided to re-release seasons 2 to 7 in 2015, still seems like a mystery. Typically a "re-release" would involve manufacturing the entire season sets again, which later turned out to be the case. But initially that might not have been the case.

My guess is some of the Dukes season sets were running out of inventory by 2015 in canada, but NOT all the seasons.

When I first ordered the 2015 re-released seasons 2, 3 and 6 sets during the summer of 2015, the copies of seasons 3 and 6 I received were not newly manufactured ones. It turned out they were just old inventory with a new UPC bar code sticker placed over the old upc bar code printed on the original package. (The season 2 set I received was a newly manufactured set, with a 2015 date on the back cover). I mentioned this in a post on this thread at the time:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...azzard-on-blu-ray.328905/page-11#post-4275577

All I could figure out was that these old inventory season 3 and 6 sets I received, was that they had an IFPI code of KM**. This means these old sets were manufactured at a Thomson/Technicolor dvd manufacturing plant in Mexico, between mid-2010 and and 2015. (Before mid-2010, Warner manufactured dvds would have usually have an IFPI code of 2U** which is Cinram's Olyphant, Pennsylvania dvd manufacturing plant). Warner changed from Cinram to Technicolor sometime in early-mid 2010.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...s-roll-on-cinrams-warner-deal/article4318417/
https://technology.ihs.com/400809/warner-drop-cinram-in-favour-of-technicolor

(More generally).

Over the years I got the impression Warner in general doesn't seem to like writing off large lots of old inventory. My guess is the canada Warner probably still had some large lots of the older seasons 3 and 6 Dukes sets (and possibly other seasons), which they were not willing to write off and liquidate.

Possibly one reason why seasons 2, 3 and 6 were re-released in 2015 as sets of repackaged four double-sided flippers disc, was so that the canada Warner could just "recycle" the old remaining inventory in the same supply chain with the newly manufactured sets. It sure beats sending all the old inventory straight to the garbage dump landfill.

At least the "underlings" who made this decision at the canada Warner to reissue Dukes seasons 2, 3 and 6 as newly manufactured double-sided flipper discs in 2015, might have also done this as a corporate CYA ("cover your ass") measure.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
This ^ would be consistent with my computer analysis of the 2015 rereleased repackaged season 2 sets of flipper discs from the three copies I went through recently. Usually the latter part of the second episode and/or the third episode on a particular flipper face, would be consistent with the second layer having reading problems.
I just picked up Wonder Woman complete series from WalMart. Everything seemed to be going okay until the 3rd episode when it started acting up and freezing. It wasn't bad enough to return the whole thing, but aggravating nonetheless.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Just got the Dukes of Hazzard set (2017 made in mexico) ,

Comes in a nice orange picture box that hols 7 individual releases .
Ordered for 69.99 from amazon.com LLC and it seems it may be the Canadian version ? It also has 33 single sided dvds . There all dual layer maxed out at almost 8gb each , 4 episode per disc . My computer reads it as 7000080264_1 , No title on the PC . Play perfect and even better on my bluray udh player , Some came with the episode guide booklet some did not . Season 4 is a bulky 6 disc set . Now it's only 33 discs , Amazon has it listed at 40 , Not sure what that is about ?

What are these double sided flipper discs everyone is talking about and all the defects discs ? The 2017 seems high quality and real nice box , I wish it was a bluray set . They do not look as good as what CMT aired .

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The original versions of seasons 1, 2, 3 and 6 released back in the mid-2000s, were released as double-sided flipper discs.

These old double-sided flipper versions are out of print now.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Just got the Dukes of Hazzard set (2017 made in mexico) ,

Comes in a nice orange picture box that hols 7 individual releases .
Ordered for 69.99 from amazon.com LLC and it seems it may be the Canadian version ? It also has 33 single sided dvds . There all dual layer maxed out at almost 8gb each , 4 episode per disc . My computer reads it as 7000080264_1 , No title on the PC . Play perfect and even better on my bluray udh player , Some came with the episode guide booklet some did not . Season 4 is a bulky 6 disc set . Now it's only 33 discs , Amazon has it listed at 40 , Not sure what that is about ?

What are these double sided flipper discs everyone is talking about and all the defects discs ? The 2017 seems high quality and real nice box , I wish it was a bluray set . They do not look as good as what CMT aired .

The 2017 set is all single sided discs and played fine for me. The cons with this set are the audio commentaries from previous releases weren't included and the booklets don't tell what episodes are on each disc. The Canadian release was a bigger box with a Confederate flag on top. None of the double sided discs in that set would play all the way through.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
The 2017 set is all single sided discs and played fine for me. The cons with this set are the audio commentaries from previous releases weren't included and the booklets don't tell what episodes are on each disc. The Canadian release was a bigger box with a Confederate flag on top. None of the double sided discs in that set would play all the way through.
On the 2017 set I just got , 1,2,3,4,6 have booklets with each episode name and description , season 5 and 7 did not include a booklet . I've ordered a second set as a back up and hopefully it has booklets for those 2 seasons .

Also just got it in time before it went out of stock and jumped to $93 from $69 .

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the 2017 set I just got , 1,2,3,4,6 have booklets with each episode name and description , season 5 and 7 did not include a booklet . I've ordered a second set as a back up and hopefully it has booklets for those 2 seasons .

Also just got it in time before it went out of stock and jumped to $93 from $69 .

Yeah, we're back to people in panic buying mode again.

Man, WB makes out like a bandit every time one of these panic buying frenzies happen.

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy

The booklets list each episode with a summary, but unlike the booklets in the earlier sets, they don't tell which episodes are on each disc. The disc labels don't have the episodes listed either. The only way to know what episodes are on a disc, is to put the disc in the player and look at the onscreen menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks