Dual Tempests & 4ohm's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'm building a sonotube with dual tempests. Dan said parts will ship in a few weeks. Will be powered by Adire's HS500 amp. Can I wire them to run at a 4ohm load? I've been searching for diagrams but no luck so far...TIA....Mike

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I think your stuck choosing between 8 and 2 ohms if you want to power all 4 VC's. You can wire one VC from each driver in parallel and then put a resister or a short across the unpowered VC's. This will be 4 ohms.

3. Mike Strassburg

Thanks Brian. I did see that somewhere, but assume that it's not the best way to go as no one seems to do that. I'm hoping that in the large enclosure I'm building that 250wpc will be enough...

4. Mike Strassburg

I was going through Patrick Sun's excellent build up of his dual Shiva sonosub and it appears that he wired them for 4ohm's. If that's what he did, could the Tempests be wired the same way??? It's obvious that I'm not an EE.......

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

"You could always get a stereo amp and have the best of both,

unless you were really set on a plate. A QSC RMX850 is only $299 for

300wpc into 4 ohms."

Jack,

I think that's exactly what Pat has done. I believe he paralleled the voice coils of each driver to create a 4 ohm load and then used a 2 channel amp; 1 channel for each driver.

Brian

7. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Brian, that's how I wired my Shivas as well, powered by a Parasound 1500A amp. does a heckuva job. Should be interesting to start my 4 Tempest project though, [​IMG]. The question is when, to many projects, not enough time.
    Lex