What's new

Dual Tempests with Samson or QSC (1 Viewer)

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My dual Tempest sonosub has been done for a week or so and Adire is still having problems getting the HS500's. I'm willing to give Dan another week, but I want to hear my sub already.

I'm considering a QSC1450 or the Samson 1000. Heard the fan can be loud on the QSC, but I can isolate it in another room, if necessary. Samson also looks pretty appealing.

Question: with (2) DVC subs I would need to wire each sub separately for 4ohms per the white papers @ Adire, correct?

TIA...Mike

James Slade

Second Unit
Easiest way is wire the two coils on each tempest in parallel then run each tempest from one channel of the amp. I haven't heard either of the amps.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I series wired the VCs and paralled the woofs for an 8 ohm load to a mono-bridged Carver amp. Stereo 4 ohm loads work about the same, as far as the amp is concerned.

Pete

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I would run them 4-ohm stereo. Bridging amps sometimes make them unstable and run hotter. It usually bumps up the THD rating as well (not a good thing). I have also heard that bridging an amp can shorten the life of the amp but that one may just be a myth.

BTW, I was told by several people that the QSC is a much better amp than the Samson. The Crowns are as well. The Crown CE and QSC RMX are each their low level budget amps. The more people I talked to, the more the crown was recommended. I picked up the Crown CE1000 for $399, binding post outputs included. The CE1000 and RMX 1450 will be excellent choices for subs. The fan noise is louder than the samson however.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Thanks for the input/feedback guys. Just got off the phone with Dan @ Adire and my HS500 is shipping today. I was going to buy the used Samson 1000 in the "For Sale" section, but will stick with my original plan.
Not many using this amp yet (HS500)so I'll be sure to provide some feedback when it's hooked up. Thanks again...Mike
P.S. Looks like I'll be wiring series/parallel for an 8ohm load. 250wpc should drive the Tempests pretty good in a 480l enclosure :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks