What's new

Dual Tempest vs single Tumult (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I happen to have two 220 liter box's that are ported with a single 6" port to about 18 hz. Right now I have a tempest in each and am pretty happy with their performace but like most people I would love some more gut wrenching bass:b With that in mind if I sold one of the box's and replaced the driver in the other with a tumult how would it compare to the dual tempests? i.e. does a single tumult beat dual tempests?

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
How much power are you willing to pay for. I ran some sims and the Tempest in a huge enclosure fared pretty well against a Tumult up to the point when the Tempest would cry uncle on power levels. You can place the Tumult in a much smaller box. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Tumult would have a peak at really low frequencies in such a large box.

When I designed my Tumult I modeled many boxes in many sizes. Because of the Vas of the Tumult, about 160-190 liters was about as large as I could go. If you have Excel, download Unibox V4.02. Model some boxes.

A Tumult in a 220L enclosure tuned to 18 hertz has an F3 of 16.2 hertz. It should put out 115db at 19.6 hertz and have a dip to 113.6 db at 32.8 hertz before peaking again at about 70 hertz because of voicecoil inductance. This is with 700 watts input. This tuning would require a 66 cm long 15.24 cm diameter port with flares.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
you could always go with a dual av15. it is not that much more than a tempest but with 1000wats aplyed to 2 of them i get about 120db @16hx and it is prety flat gentle slope.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Hey Andrew,
How is the amp treating you? I would stick with the dual tempests for now. a Tumult is about 1.5 tempests maybe a little more in terms of output. Tough call. I am only guessing but I think the Tumult may have much cleaner bass at the same spl as a tempest.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
From a simple Vd standpoint, a Tumult moves approx. twice as much air a Tempest. If I recall correctly from the original Tumult "genesis" thread, however, the XBL2 motor will allow a Tumult to equal the output of almost three Tempests if a 10% THD limit is imposed (it's more linear as it approaches Xmax).
Your case involves more than this, of course, since your dual Tempests have twice the porting that a single Tumult would if retrofitted in one of your enclosures. Still, might be worth a try if the port has the large Aeroport flares and you stay below 800 watts or so. If not, then port noise and compression may be an issue before you get to levels you've come to expect from the Tempests (and certainly before nearing the limit of the driver itself. This will be the case with every attempt to port the Tumult, I think. This driver really wants PR boxes or to be sealed preferably with some eq/LT applied).
The Tumult would not be as rolled-off as the Tempests, either, and in fact would have a bit of a hump at tuning. You might lengthen the port a bit to get a little lower.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

I had that problem too. When I used a different outlet and kept the rca's away from the power cord it was fine. The only time I got hum was when I shut the reciever off. When trying to see the effects of the areoports I just cut the power in half inthe sims. The port flares are supposed add 3db output by reducing port noise and therefore increasing usable output by 3db. The Tumult being 3 tempests is really interesting, I was not aware:emoji_thumbsup: If that is the case then one tumult could replace both tempests and cut the foor space in half.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I was gonna go ported for my Tumult but figured fitting enough port in would be tough.. I ended up doing a dual 18" PR which added about $500 CDN to the price of the sub.. It sounds amazing and the PR's are too cool but im wondering if a 6" flared port with my 800w would have saficed and I could have saved some cash.. :b

Craig

Seth_L

Screenwriter
It sounds amazing and the PR's are too cool but im wondering if a 6" flared port with my 800w would have saficed and I could have saved some cash..
Well there's only one way to find out. Build it and see.

I'm going PR'd myself, but if SVS can build underported subs and other people build under PR'd subs maybe the rules we work by are too strict. :frowning:

Seth

BrianKR

Second Unit
but if SVS can build underported subs and other people build under PR'd subs maybe the rules we work by are too strict
I take it you are referring to the B4+ "supersub"?
I am being totally honest with you when I say port noise doesn't exist until hit insane SPL.:emoji_thumbsup:

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I take it you are referring to the B4+ "supersub"?
I am being totally honest with you when I say port noise doesn't exist until hit insane SPL.
That was one of the ones I was talking about. I think they're all underported, but I'm not 100% certain about that. I know the B4+ is for sure. Strictly speaking I think pretty much any commercially available sub is underported really (If you want no audible port noise at any volume).

Seth

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Craig and Seth L

I will be testing a 160 liter ported enclosure for port noise. I will be using a 6" flared port 26" long. These things are huge. I corresponded with ThomasW about possble port noise problems. He has the ported HE 15. He has no noise problems. He didn't think that I would have any problems. Hope to make some MDF dust fly tomorrow (if it doesn't snow here).

We'll see.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
130dBs is plenty good enough for me!!!
The software simulation says that in my room I should get 130+dB at 16Hz in my room. With the tumult box I'm building. I'm not certain that I'm believe the calculations, but anyhow...

Seth

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
The F3 on my Tumult is 17 hertz even though it is tuned to about 20.25 hertz. Should play about 114 db anechoically at 17 hertz. Should get much more in room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks