What's new

Dual Tempest vs single Tumult (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Brian,

According to my calculations in my room 1 Tumult will do it (with 1600W in a 225L box with 4 15" Adire PR's massed up to 1.5kg). Like I said I don't believe it, but that's what the software says. Anechoic -3dB (-4dB really, but 60hz is at -1dB, so I'm calling it -3dB) point is at 15.7Hz or so.

Seth

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I use the aeroports with my BP1503. only at 113db does it say I will encounter any port noise. Now I have to say from personal experience that I have never encounted port noise. I am not sure if an instaneaous peak at say 115db wood generate enough of a sustained flow of air to make the port chuff. now maybe a 3-5sec tone at tuning would. like a sinewave. At that level there is more in the room that would vibrate. plus add in the fact that anything at 115db will drown out just about every noise(wife included;) ). Its hard to draw a line between what science dictate and real world testing as to what is acceptable distortion limits port or otherwise.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
you could always go with a dual av15. it is not that much more than a tempest but with 1000wats aplyed to 2 of them i get about 120db @16hx and it is prety flat gentle slope.
Are the AV-15s still going for $165? If so, then they're not much more than a Tempest, which you can get for $150 shipped. Otherwise, the difference is in what I would term the "significant" range.

BTW, what the h*** are you guys doing to your hearing listening to bass at 130db? Are your ears bleeding yet? :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you've ever held those 6" Aeroport flares in your hand, you know that it's difficult to imagine the volume it would take to have them compress or cause noise, regardless of what the computer says. They're like storm drains.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I hit over 140db in my car, but that level in a house is a totally different thing.....even 130 is crazy in house.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Just a note, but 140db is the threshold of pain. Exposure to music in the 128 to 130 db range for just 3.5 minutes per day can permanently damage your hearing.

I would respectfully suggest that the quest for these kind of spls are, ultimately, counterproductive and will eventually destroy your ability to enjoy music at all.

(Okay, end of parental rap! ;) )

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan,

Keep in mind that our hearing is much less sensitive in the last octave or two, so 130-140dB of bass won't seem nearly as loud (or be as harmful) as it would in the upper octaves where our hearing is much more sensitive. Although, SPL levels of this magnitude can definitely do structural damage. :)

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Cursed MDF dust... All over my garage... I was going to wait to start machining my MDF until I could do it outside. Then we had all of this snow. Couldn't wait... Now my garage is a total mess. Laminated some MDF today and machined some braces. Won't be too much longer now before I can put the ported Tumult to the test.

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan, You are correct that db levels that high will damage your hearing. I do not listen at those levels on a regualar basis, but my car is capable of them. That is with two Orion XTR 12" subs and 800 watts. I recently bought two EDesign K series 15" subs.....I just have'nt gotten around to making a box yet. I am shooting for mostly sq, but the ability to still get loud for competions.
I am hoping that it will be at least 147db.

I recently had a 15" prototype sub in my trunk, ( somewhat similar to the Brahma) and was hitting levels close to 150db with one sub in a 3 cubic ft box. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks