What's new

DTV/ Tivo and HDDTV / Tivo (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Welch

Agent
I currently have the first tivo and am awaiting the HD DTV Tivo my question is for those people that have hd DTV. since the only currently provide 10 stations do you also subscribe to normal DTV? the new sat. needed for HD DTV, does that provide standard DTV or do you need 2 Sat.s? i am confused on how this works thanks
Kevin

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure what you are asking so I'll give a summary of what you need. DirecTV's core programming comes from the 101 satellite slot. There is actually more than one satellite here so you can't just say the 101 satellite. Core programming is all of the Total Choice programming, the premium movie channels, PPV, most locals and HD football. The programming from 101 can be received with an 18" dish. At the 110 slot D* is transmitting some HD and Chinese language programming. At the 119 slot D* has Spanish programming, locals and more HD. To get the HD programming most people use a multi-sat dish that points towards all three locations so they can get SD programming also.

-Robert

Kevin_Welch

Agent
i'm sorry I did mean D* and am intrested in HD D* does this multi sat. apply to both standard D* and HD D* or do i need Both
K~

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Multi-sat dishes just receive the signals from all three sat locations. A standard D* receiver will decode the signal based on the programming package you subscribe to. For example, I'm a Total Choice Premiere+locals+HD subscriber. My DirecTivo can decode channels on the 101 and 119 satellite that are in my programming package. It can't decode any HD programming because it wasn't designed to. It completely ignores it. My Hughes E-86 decodes the same channels as my DirecTivo and it will also tune in the HD channels from satellite and my Radio Shack antenna.

Here are the channel listings by sat location:

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks