What's new

DTSHD MASTER on BDP-S500 (1 Viewer)

JMoore

Auditioning
Real Name
James Moore
I have a Denon AVR4308ci Receiver and just picked up the new Sony BDP-S500. The Denon decodes Dolby True HD but does not decode DTS Master.
The new sony is suppose to transfer DTS Master threw bitstream but only comes up as DTS surround on my receiver. Does anyone ells have this blue ray player? I have it connected with a HDMI s 1.3 cable.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It won't pass DTS Master via bitstream. My understanding is they are going to eventually release a firmware update to allow this but not now.

judgej

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
Hi,

I have the Sony BPS300. It is great. What is fantastic though, I have the ONKYO SR605 which is even better. It will decode Dolby True HD and DTS-MASTER AUDIO via HDMI. You could have saved your money on the BPS 500 and got a better receiver.

Good luck!

troy evans

Screenwriter
I have the same receiver and Bluray myself and I agree. They eventually will be releasing a firmware to upgrade the BDP-S300 for at least TrueHD and I think DTS HD/Master, although, I'm not sure 100% on the DTS Master part. This BD player and receiver do ROCK together.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

Yep...pee on a man's parade...oughta make him feel better for sure to know his receiver is crap..after all...it's only a Denon 4800 series. I am sure we could all have saved ourselves money, or better yet, gone to the bank and re-mortgaged our homes to buy a 10K receiver and the Sony 300 BD player which is so demonstrably a lesser player than the 500; it begs the question why you even posted. For that matter, why didnt you get the 805, which is in fact waaaay better than the 605?

I am waiting for the Sony 500; it's capabilities are significant and I returned a Sharp BD player and posted on this player as per the reasons. The 500 is a very capable 3rd gen player and will perform well; at least as far as I have seen with the BD disks I have tested on it in a couple of stores.

I am told by Sony that firmware upgrades will allow it to pass pretty much everything through bitstream..not sure of course but with a price of $499 CAD, its a great deal. Obviously, a number of people share my view since this player is back ordered in Canada till january 08....worth the wait.

JMoore

Auditioning
Real Name
James Moore
I could not be happier with my Denon receiver. My quibble was with the Sony BD Player. It sends Dolby true hd and DTS Hd through bitstream but not DTS HD Master. Just seems odd, most Blue ray discs with a DTS soundtrack are DTS Master. Thats all.... I would pick the Denon 4308ci receiver over any Onkyo receiver any day.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been checking out receivers for weeks and weeks now. And I have to agree with JMoore here. There is no way the Onkyo receiver is better than the Denon. The Denon is a very good receiver and outclasses the Onkyo anyday. The Onkyo does have some nice features for the money but that does not make it better. I will be buying a Denon AVR-3808ci or if I have the extra money a Denon AVR-4308ci. I checked out the 905 Onkyo and would rather have the 3808ci over the 905.

As far as upgrading my Blu-ray player the bitstream issue with DTS-HD is the main reason I have not upgraded yet. After I buy my Denon receiver I will be getting the Denon DVD-2500BT that will bitstream both DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. And to my knowledge is a profile 1.1 player so that is all I need, a top notch Blu-ray player with all the upgraded features and capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks