DTS vs Dolby: Maybe this would settle things.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Wadian, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Jeremy Wadian

What if there was a contest between DTS and Dolby Digital? Here's how it could work: Take one upcoming Dvd release, like Star Wars III. Then let Dolby do their best and let DTS do there best. Which would sound better?
    Note: don't tell me that Star Wars III will not be in DTS, I know.

Basically if they both used the exact same source and they both tried there best, which would sound better?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Whichever one you personally thought sounded better. The difference has always lied in the ear of the beholder. There have been graphs drawn up to try and scientifically prove one side or the other's point, but the debate still rages. It's practcally an ideological issue now.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

And here we go again...

5. Jeremy Wadian

So, although we can all agree that video quality does improve (vhs vs 1080i). Audio is a personal matter. hmmm

6. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Debating which sounds better DTS or DD is as much fun as... [​IMG]

What is painfully clear is that the difference between the two technologies is hardly significant, but the differences between the qualities of mixes of both technologies can be very significant.

I for one wish studios would only include one multi-channel audio mix per disc (DTS or DD, makes no difference to me) such as to allow for the greatest amount of space for higher bit rates and minimize video compression artifacts - which are significantly more noticeable than audio compression artifacts.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

As was mentioned in another DD/DTS thread, the fact that nether Dolby or DTS have taken steps to prove that they're better than the other (which would have HUGE marketing consequences) speaks volumes on which one is better and how much each company considers their codec to be superior.

Now, can someone PLEASE help me to put these nematoda back into their cylindrical, aluminum container that Jeremy opened before this thread degrates into yet another pointless, immature (there, I said it!), fanboyish DD/DTS thread?

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Actually, Jeremy, you might was the read this post. It was written by someone who works very closely with both technologies, and I trust his judgement. His post is probably the closest we'll ever get to anything remotely resembling an unbiased, scientific study of the two codecs.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter