What's new

DTS Setup (1 Viewer)

Tim Bishop

Auditioning
I just purchased a Sony STRDA1ES Receiver thinking that if I hook it up to my Phillips DVD player I would be able to get DTS. But no.

I get 5.1

Any assistance ? Do I need to buy a new DVD player to get DTS ?

LewB

Screenwriter
You say you are getting 5.1, you mean 5.1 Dolby digital ? DTS is also 5.1 for the most part.
Check the specs on the DVD player, make sure it 'passes' the DTS bit stream. I'm assuming that your receiver automatically detects that it's getting a DTS input and starts to decode it.
Also check the DVD, it does say it has DTS programming, yes? Make certain that you select DTS output from the DVD menu, it's not the default. Hope this helps, let us know what happens

Tim Bishop

Auditioning
So it's sounds like I need a DVD player with a decoder. Like the Sony DVPNS755V, it has a DTS decoder built in. OR will the Sony 715P work because it has a DTS digital output.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The "dts" insignia on a DVD player means it will "pass" dts on to the receiver, which will decode and play back the audio.

In some cases the DVD player will decode dts, and you would use 6 audio cables (interconnects) to pass the signal on to the amp. This is rare and almost never the case with new stuff.

If using the Sony 715, you will likely have to select DTS in the Player's Menu, AND select DTS on the DVD itself. You may also have to select DTS on the receiver...

If you want it, you gotta go get it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So it's sounds like I need a DVD player with a decoder.
No. You just need a player that passes the DTS signal. What model Phillips player do you have? Does it have a DTS insignia anywhere on the machine? What does the instruction manual say about DTS?

If your player can pass the DTS signal, you must also enable that option in the player's setup menu (that's the player's menu, not the disc's). Most players have the DTS option turned off by default.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sounds like a first generation player, before the specifications for including DTS on DVD had been settled. I guess you'll need a new player. If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade a player just for DTS, but it's your call.

M.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you look in your player's digital audio output setup and find that there is a configuration for DTS, then you should have no problem getting it to work. If there is no DTS option, well...new player it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks