What's new

DTS-ES track on T2 UE better than the DD-EX on the T2 EE. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was doing some comparisons last night between the two editions and I'll start with the video. I did not see a huge improvment in picture quality on the EE. The EE was a little more detailed and sharp. But not a big difference. Now when it came to the audio I found the DTS-ES track on the UE better than the DD-EX track on the EE. The DTS-ES track was more defined and the bass on the DTS-ES dvd had a lot more impact than the DD-EX version. Two scenes that I use are the one at the begining where Arnold steals the motorcycle and the guy comes out of the bar and unloads the shotgun. And close to the end of the film where Arnold has the mini gun. Those scenes rocked my house in DTS-ES, they were felt and heard. So to make this simple, I am keeping my UE and sold the EE to my friend for $12. Just my 2 cents.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I've got to disagree about the visual quality. On a large display I found the EE video quality was much, much better than the UE video... The UE had an absurd amount of EE and was just plain ugly looking in many spots compared to the EE... I have to agree though that I like the DTS track on UE better.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Interesting, especially since I've read someone else's report (even citing the same scenes) stating the new DD-EX track was superior regarding the bass.

I often wonder regarding bass response if it has to do with what subs people are running and the frequency response.

Just like FOTR EE vs the theatrical cut...Some said the bass was better on the theatrical compared to the DTS on the EE. Others said the theatrical's bass was overcooked.
I know I found the DTS track of the Extended Edition to have excellent and VERY loud bass that shook my whole apartment. I can't imagine anyone wanting more. Maybe my sub's freq. response is better than some, and they missed the bass on the DTS track and needed exaggerated bass at a higher frequency on DD to satisfy them.

I still find the Extreme Edition tempting due to the fact that my hatred for Edge Enhanced transfers grows and grows...Whenever I watch T2 (which will likely be soon before T3 hits theaters) I know the EE will drive me crazy. It bothered me enough BEFORE I upgraded to a 38" HDTV. I just keep telling myself to wait until HD-DVD since I don't watch it that much. Here's hoping we get superior audio in addition to video.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I guess I am blind, I have seen examples of edge enhancement but really can't tell during the movie itself. Is it that noticeable?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
It's very noticeable on larger displays or if you put your head up against a small display. If you are sitting a good distance away and are watching it on a smaller display it will be difficult to see. It is there though.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'll start with the video. I did not see a huge improvment in picture quality on the EE.
I stopped reading after that.

This isn't a "Superbit" style re-release but a full blown, frame by frame remaster.

The UE was headache inducing with its Edge Enhancement.

The EE fixes that and many other things (including colors).

The night scenes (shot almost blue) are 100% improved in the Extreme Edition.

Best $14 I spent on an upgrade.

Doug

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I find that the DD Ex track to have a much deeper bass!
But did they change some of the sounds?
I noticed this in the scene where the T1000 is chasing them towards the elevator in the asylum. The gunfires sounded different when they hit the elevator and arnie's back..
There are more examples.
Anyboby notice this?

The video is a huge improvment even on my 24" inch screen!
It looks sharper, but softer ( the transition ). And the color isn't way oversaturated like the UE and no EE in the Dyson house like before!

Also on the doc. you seeshots from the Abyss in semi anamorphic widescreen.
Damn it would be sweet to have the Abyss in Anamorphic widescreen with dts! Even though the dvd is very good!:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There is a H U G E improvement in picture quality with the EE. If you aren't seeing it, maybe it's your display/equip., or eyes. I have a 61" ISF'd display and the difference is very dramatic.

As far as audio, I too find the DD-EX better than the DTS track.

This is one of the best upgrades I have ever made.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I have to agree that the visual quality in EE is a HUGE improvement.

But, I think the DTS soundtrack is much cleaner. Sure, there's a bass enhancement in the EE, but louder bass does not a better soundtrack make.

Brett C

Second Unit
The DD track is the identical track to what was on the Ultimate Ed DVD, go to widescreenreview.com for info on that. And I agree, the DTS track was the better sounding option...

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I also thought that the picture did look better on the EE but not mindblowing better like some say. The main draw for me for the EE is the new commentary and the great text commentary track. That means alot more to me than the new picture quality.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'll chime in and say that I found the transfer on the EE to be significantly better than the transfer on the UE. I always thought the UE was acceptable(it wasn't a train wreck like Scarface or anything), but it definitely left some room for improvement and the EE addressed that and made it look almost like HD-DVD. As for the audio, I do think the DTS-ES mix is a hair better than the DD-EX, but it's not as big a difference as the transfers. I can live with the EX mix, but I'll still probably throw in the DTS version every once in a while just to hear the great sound it features in some of the big action scenes.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Well i guess that means we will have to get another version with the EE picture and the UE DTS track. The superdooperwewilltakeyourmoneyforafourthtimeeditio n.:angry:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So many mixed opinions here. I am wondering why I can't see the big difference in picture quality like some of you have seen. I have a 16x9 64 inch hdtv so I would assume that I would see the BIG difference. Maybe it is because I have never had it ISF calibrated or even used a set up dvd. I have it set to how I like it. I have it set for a darker and softer picture, like what you get at the theater. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am not saying that there is no difference because I can clearly see that the EE is the better video transfer but the UE was not a bad transfer either.
I always thought the UE was acceptable(it wasn't a train wreck like Scarface or anything
The UE of T2 doesn't even come close to the Scarface transfer. Scarface is one of the worst transfers I have ever seen and the T2 UE transfer I thought looked pretty good.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
And I clearly here a difference in the DTS-ES track on the UE. I played numerous scenes at the same volume setting and found that I liked the DTS-ES version more. I thought that dialogue was cleaner and the LFE were deeper and more defined.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it is because I have never had it ISF calibrated or even used a set up dvd.
Don't take offense to this, but you have no basis to judge any dvd transfer based on what you just stated. There is no excuse for not getting Avia to at least calibrate your settings, and I VERY STRONGLY recommend an ISF calibration; it makes a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks