DTS-ES track on T2 UE better than the DD-EX on the T2 EE.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was doing some comparisons last night between the two editions and I'll start with the video. I did not see a huge improvment in picture quality on the EE. The EE was a little more detailed and sharp. But not a big difference. Now when it came to the audio I found the DTS-ES track on the UE better than the DD-EX track on the EE. The DTS-ES track was more defined and the bass on the DTS-ES dvd had a lot more impact than the DD-EX version. Two scenes that I use are the one at the begining where Arnold steals the motorcycle and the guy comes out of the bar and unloads the shotgun. And close to the end of the film where Arnold has the mini gun. Those scenes rocked my house in DTS-ES, they were felt and heard. So to make this simple, I am keeping my UE and sold the EE to my friend for $12. Just my 2 cents.

2. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I've got to disagree about the visual quality. On a large display I found the EE video quality was much, much better than the UE video... The UE had an absurd amount of EE and was just plain ugly looking in many spots compared to the EE... I have to agree though that I like the DTS track on UE better.

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Interesting, especially since I've read someone else's report (even citing the same scenes) stating the new DD-EX track was superior regarding the bass.

I often wonder regarding bass response if it has to do with what subs people are running and the frequency response.

Just like FOTR EE vs the theatrical cut...Some said the bass was better on the theatrical compared to the DTS on the EE. Others said the theatrical's bass was overcooked.
    I know I found the DTS track of the Extended Edition to have excellent and VERY loud bass that shook my whole apartment. I can't imagine anyone wanting more. Maybe my sub's freq. response is better than some, and they missed the bass on the DTS track and needed exaggerated bass at a higher frequency on DD to satisfy them.

I still find the Extreme Edition tempting due to the fact that my hatred for Edge Enhanced transfers grows and grows...Whenever I watch T2 (which will likely be soon before T3 hits theaters) I know the EE will drive me crazy. It bothered me enough BEFORE I upgraded to a 38" HDTV. I just keep telling myself to wait until HD-DVD since I don't watch it that much. Here's hoping we get superior audio in addition to video.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I guess I am blind, I have seen examples of edge enhancement but really can't tell during the movie itself. Is it that noticeable?

5. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

It's very noticeable on larger displays or if you put your head up against a small display. If you are sitting a good distance away and are watching it on a smaller display it will be difficult to see. It is there though.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

7. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

I find that the DD Ex track to have a much deeper bass!
    But did they change some of the sounds?
    I noticed this in the scene where the T1000 is chasing them towards the elevator in the asylum. The gunfires sounded different when they hit the elevator and arnie's back..
    There are more examples.
    Anyboby notice this?

The video is a huge improvment even on my 24" inch screen!
    It looks sharper, but softer ( the transition ). And the color isn't way oversaturated like the UE and no EE in the Dyson house like before!

Also on the doc. you seeshots from the Abyss in semi anamorphic widescreen.
    Damn it would be sweet to have the Abyss in Anamorphic widescreen with dts! Even though the dvd is very good![​IMG]

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

There is a H U G E improvement in picture quality with the EE. If you aren't seeing it, maybe it's your display/equip., or eyes. I have a 61" ISF'd display and the difference is very dramatic.

As far as audio, I too find the DD-EX better than the DTS track.

This is one of the best upgrades I have ever made.

9. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Great quote Jeff [​IMG]

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I have to agree that the visual quality in EE is a HUGE improvement.

But, I think the DTS soundtrack is much cleaner. Sure, there's a bass enhancement in the EE, but louder bass does not a better soundtrack make.

11. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

The DD track is the identical track to what was on the Ultimate Ed DVD, go to widescreenreview.com for info on that. And I agree, the DTS track was the better sounding option...

12. jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols Stunt Coordinator

I also thought that the picture did look better on the EE but not mindblowing better like some say. The main draw for me for the EE is the new commentary and the great text commentary track. That means alot more to me than the new picture quality.

13. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I'll chime in and say that I found the transfer on the EE to be significantly better than the transfer on the UE. I always thought the UE was acceptable(it wasn't a train wreck like Scarface or anything), but it definitely left some room for improvement and the EE addressed that and made it look almost like HD-DVD. As for the audio, I do think the DTS-ES mix is a hair better than the DD-EX, but it's not as big a difference as the transfers. I can live with the EX mix, but I'll still probably throw in the DTS version every once in a while just to hear the great sound it features in some of the big action scenes.

14. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Well i guess that means we will have to get another version with the EE picture and the UE DTS track. The superdooperwewilltakeyourmoneyforafourthtimeeditio n.[​IMG]

15. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

No,wait til T3 comes out on DVD and they have the super maxed out three pack!!!

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Robert, that's doubtful as all three movies have different publishers on DVD.

17. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

The DD-EX track on the UE was better than the DTS ES...

18. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

So many mixed opinions here. I am wondering why I can't see the big difference in picture quality like some of you have seen. I have a 16x9 64 inch hdtv so I would assume that I would see the BIG difference. Maybe it is because I have never had it ISF calibrated or even used a set up dvd. I have it set to how I like it. I have it set for a darker and softer picture, like what you get at the theater. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am not saying that there is no difference because I can clearly see that the EE is the better video transfer but the UE was not a bad transfer either.

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

And I clearly here a difference in the DTS-ES track on the UE. I played numerous scenes at the same volume setting and found that I liked the DTS-ES version more. I thought that dialogue was cleaner and the LFE were deeper and more defined.

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer