What's new

DTS Decoding Question (1 Viewer)

ChadLivengood

Auditioning
Hey everyone, I was hoping for some assistance. I am currently having an issue with DTS decoding.

What I have:

Panasonic A-100 DVD Player, purchased in '97 or '98 that has worked great. Basic Player w/o any type of decoding.

New Sony STR-DE675 Receiver with Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS Decoding. Connected to DVD via Optical Cable.

I have the receiver set to A.F.D. and the movies play great with the 5.1 sound but I get no DTS sound if I choose DTS from the DVD menu. I used Gladiator as the test case which is in DTS-ES format?

Questions:

Am I limited to just Dolby 5.1 b/c of the DVD Player?
Is DTS-ES a format that I need a receiver that decodes this specifically?

Any advice you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am not familiar with the model of DVD player but if it is from 1997 (first generation) chances are that it will not have dts capability. In order for you to enjoy dts, you will have to get yourself a new dvd player. That is the bad news. The good news is you can get one really cheap these days that can do dts and progressive scan for any TV upgrades you may do in the near future.

Dts-es is another ballgame. Your receiver is not dts-es capable, meaning it does not have the rear centre channel feature. Many of today's receivers come with dts-es 6.1 and dd-ex6.1 but again, in order for you to play that format, it will require a receiver upgrade. Not to worry though, 5.1 will sound great and any material that is 6.1 will play as 5.1 on your current setup.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Panasonic A-100 cannot pass a DTS signal. You'll need a new player. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade a player I was happy with just to get DTS, but opinions vary widely on this subject.

M.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My first player some five years ago was a Yamaha DVD-1000, which was basically a re-badged Panasonic DVD-A300. The 100 and 300 were great players for their time, but players have advanced in leaps and bounds since they were introduced. A current $200 player from Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba or many others will not only give you DTS capability, but more importantly a dramatic increase in picture quality.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks