What's new

DTS 96/24 Question (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Is DTS 96/24 an option I should look for on the reciever or the DVD player or at all?

David Judah

Screenwriter
What price range are you looking at? Alot of new receivers above $1000 have it anyways, but with a very limited supply of titles, I wouldn't consider it a must have feature.

I heard one song off a demo disc(Queen)and it was impressive. Hopefully, we'll see some support for the format.

DJ

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
A DVD player needs only to be dts compatible. It does not need to know anything about dts 96/24 or dts-ES to support these formats.

The software is scarce, and the benefit of the format is debatable, but it is a nice feature to have. You may find yourself with 'dts 96/24 envy' in a couple years when the format is more widely supported. The only film that I know of in the format is the region 2 (IK) Tomb Raider. You can download a list of all dts titles (music CD's, movies on DVD, and DVD-Audio with dts tracks) from the dts website. The lists will indicate which have dts-ES discrete or matrix, and which have dts 96/24.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The receiver or processor must have the ability to decode DTS 96/24 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, but the player itself only has to have a "DTS Digital Out" logo to pass all DTS bitstreams.

Dan

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
i find it hard to believe that dts 24/96 for a movie soundtrack is necessary at all...i can see it being good for maybe music, being equivalent to dvd-audio, but for movies it seems to me to be unnecessary overkill and wouldnt be noticeable at all vs. 48khz dts. just my HO.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info.

So I was looking at the Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro but it does not mention support for DTS 96/24. Can any Rotel owner confirm that?

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
joe, get the rotel. IMO dts 96/24 is a gimmick and is unneccesary for movie soundtracks.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree that DTS 96/24 is not really an issue today. I would not base any purchase decision on that feature alone.

But I disagree that DTS 96/24 is a "gimmick". It does sound better than regular DTS. And you don't need to buy an SACD or DVD-Audio player to play it. I do agree that it may never really catch on though...

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
chuck, i find it hard to believe it would make any noticeable difference on a movie soundtrack. it may make a difference on music, such as the infamous queen dts96/24 cd everyone here keeps mentioning. however, if you use dvd-audio as i do you get the same resolution (96/24) so dts 96/24 is unneccesary for me. not worth it to lose 400 bucks to get rid of my 3802 for the 3803.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Don: I see your point. Movies are artificial sound events. But I think it's worth pointing out that most of us can often hear differences (ie. improvements) between DD and DTS soundtracks on many movies. All that I have heard on DTS 96/24 to this point is the Queen DTS 96/24 disc and the Queen Greatest Video Hits Vol. 1 (disc 1 is DTS 96/24.) Still, to my very skeptical ears, the improvement that DTS 96/24 brings is beyond subtle.

I do agree with you that if one has already invested in SACD or DVD-Audio, then there would be little reason to spend any extra to buy into another new format that has virtually no software. But after seeing how quickly plain-jane DTS took off after so many delays, I wouldn't count DTS 96/24 out yet. (Corporate DTS seems to have a major marketing ability.) Even after DVD-Audio and SACD has had such a big head start...

If this sounds like a DTS 96/24 commercial, I don't intend it to be that way. At this point, I can't recommend that anyone buy/upgrade their equipment just to get it. Not enough software.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS 96/24 may become more relevant if JVC completes their DTS support for D-Theater players, and may become part of one or both of the competing blue laser disc movie formats.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks