What's new

Dream Big! Your ultimate classic tv Blu-Ray(or dvd) wish. (1 Viewer)

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
The Obsolete Man said:
You forgot the 1997 ABC special released to promote Justus... for completeness' sake, if nothing else.
Plus, the 80s videos (Heart and Soul, among others), MTV appearances and commercials, Nick at Nite Monkee Mondays commercials and bumpers...
The OP did say "dream big".
I wasn't even thinking of those elements. My biggest disappointment with the original sets was the lack of choice on the music and I wasn't even thinking of the specials from the 80s.
I also would add Danger Man and The Avengers to the list, with all Avengers episodes from Season 1. There's got to be an alternate world where this stuff wasn't wiped!:D
As for Batman, you could add the promos taped for the mid-80s syndication package, and the appearance on "The Late Show".

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Statskeeper said:
I also would add Danger Man and The Avengers to the list, with all Avengers episodes from Season 1. There's got to be an alternate world where this stuff wasn't wiped!:D

That would especially apply to the Doctor Who shows from 1963-69!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Already having more in my collection then I will easily find time to watch, I have three selections (one I know well, one I know well enough, and one a complete blind-buy):
China Beach: having thoroughly enjoyed this show when originally aired I would like to see it get a fitting release. However, I imagine music rights being a big stumbling block. But if Ally McBeal can do it, so maybe can China Beach, someday.
Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp: A show I picked up on a blind-buy. I really enjoyed the first season and later picked up the mixed set with the transitional and final episodes. I liked the transistion from town to town. Unfortunately, the mixed set doesn't do justice to what it took to cleanup each town along the way. I'm hoping Inception (who now has the rights) will put out a complete set in the future similar to what they are doing with the Real McCoys.
Dr. Kildare: I've only seen one episode but was impressed. Even more then early Chamberlan, I'm a fan of Raymond Massey's from his various film roles. So this would be a complete blind-buy but one I'd be willing to gamble on with a complete set because I feel pretty confident I would enjoy it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
smithb said:
Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp: A show I picked up on a blind-buy. I really enjoyed the first season and later picked up the mixed set with the transitional and final episodes. I liked the transistion from town to town. Unfortunately, the mixed set doesn't do justice to what it took to cleanup each town along the way. I'm hoping Inception (who now has the rights) will put out a complete set in the future similar to what they are doing with the Real McCoys.
They are going to.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Another I forgot about:
The Third Man: I came across a few episodes and these were also very enjoyable. Any set of these whether a few seasons or complete would be great.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I would love to see them re-do the "classic" (i.e. 20th century-era) Simpsons in HD. Keep the DVD extras and add some more, whatever they left out of the box set. Isolated scores for each episode would be amazing.

I second the call for The Mary Tyler Moore Show on Blu-Ray. And done right (oh, how I wish Image could get a hold of it). That means no music-related cuts, and the whole series released at once. I'm not waiting another seven years to finish it.

Real Name
Matthew Burdette
How about The Ultimate BIZARRE/Super Dave Osborne Show collection With EVERY episode of BIZARRE and The Super Dave Osborne Show and EVERY BIZARRE SKETCH, even those cut from the DVD and every musical guest on the Super Dave Osborne Show in their original UNCENSORED SHOWTIME VERSIONS.
Bonus features include:
- Alternate CTV Versions of select Bizarre episodes
- Uncensored and Censored audio tracks for the Super Dave Osborne Show
- Showtime and CTV Promos
- The Complete series of the DIC Super Dave cartoon
Another wish:
Ducktales 25th anniversary (This is 2012, the year of Ducktale's 25th) Complete Series set with bonus "Ducktales: The Movie: The Treasure of the Lost Lamp" feature included. :cool:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ben Casey, Dr. Kildare, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, East Side/West Side, and The Defenders are my remaining Holy Grails.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BR Releases of Danger Man and Batman would entice me to finally convert to Blu-ray.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike*HTF /t/322067/dream-big-your-ultimate-classic-tv-blu-ray-or-dvd-wish#post_3948165
BR Releases of Danger Man and Batman would entice me to finally convert to Blu-ray.

I feel the same. If a mega Ozzie & Harriet set was released - only in BR and not SDVD - then I'd be enticed enough to convert. But I don't believe I'll convert simply to upgrade a release I already own on standard def DVD.

Gary "just the way I look at it" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Mike*HTF said:
That's 2 great choices.
I'm in the same group. I haven't entered the BR scene. It would probably take an exclusive previously unreleased BR TV/DVD release of an old show, one that's high on my list, without a duplicate std DVD release. to get me to buy the 1st BR player. As of now, I have no need for a BR player in my house.
I might make an exception for one of my #1/2 shows, like Combat!, remastered, original elements (no time-speed), etc, and only available on BR, to get me to jump into the BR mkt.

Noir Voyeur

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Simon
Guy Foulard said:
The Defenders (original from 1961) complete series on blu-ray. Ditto for East Side/West Side, Naked City, Mr. Novak etc. With any plausible extras...
Having grown up watching mid-to-late-1960s shows like Perry Mason, The Fugitive, The FBI, Ironside, Adam 12, Star Trek and the plethora of comedies, I have to say that the shows that most interest me now are the shows I narrowly missed catching, first time around.
So it's great that I have been able to get The Twilight Zone on Blu-ray. If that didn't already exist, it would be my Holy Grail of TV Shows.
The 4 shows mentioned by Jason would be high on my list along with Peter Gunn (coming soon, and I'm hoping against hope that it's a quality release) and 77 Sunset Strip but at the very top would be the full four seasons of Naked City (given that only 60 of its 138 episodes have been released, including none whatsoever from Season 1, and those that were released are all out-of-print) along with Route 66 (which has been released in its entirety but has not been given the treatment it deserves).
And of course the 3 seasons of Batman, with absolutely nothing missing!

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I would very much like to see - Lost in Space; Land of the Giants and The Time Tunnel released on bluray. I would also like to see The Defenders released either on bluray or DVD. The same for Naked City. I would also like to see complete releases of My World and Welcome To It, The Third Man, He and She, The Smith Family,Nanny and the Professor, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Search (Probe/Search Control). and Lassie. To my knowledge no surviving episode of Doomwatch only exists in monochrome. The entire second season exists but the prints came from America or Canada.
I would also like to see Batman released on bluray. Babylon 5 would also make a good bluray release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Complete Beverly Hillbillies, with season 1 remastered to the standard of CBS's releases of seasons 2 and 3.
Other desired shows: complete McCloud, Batman, WKRP uncut with original music, In Search of (syndicated and no too expensive), Complete Bilko.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
JoeDoakes said:
Complete Beverly Hillbillies, with season 1 remastered to the standard of CBS's releases of seasons 2 and 3.
Other desired shows: complete McCloud, Batman, WKRP uncut with original music, In Search of (syndicated and no too expensive), Complete Bilko.
I have been waiting out to see if The Beverly Hillbillies would come out in a complete series. If it does I will buy it.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Batman and Green Hornet would be first choices- probably Blu Ray. The rest I would like on DVD: The Beverly Hillbillies, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Nanny and the Professor,

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Two shows, both feasible:

The Outer Limits (original series) -- primarily because the audio on the DVD releases is so very, very bad

Lost in Space -- Are the original elements really in that bad a shape? The reruns on MeTV right now look pretty lousy -- but then, so did the DVDs. Give this series the same treatment as the other Irwin Allen shows, but put it on Blu-ray.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
PianoPlayer said:
Two shows, both feasible:

The Outer Limits (original series) -- primarily because the audio on the DVD releases is so very, very bad

Lost in Space -- Are the original elements really in that bad a shape? The reruns on MeTV right now look pretty lousy -- but then, so did the DVDs. Give this series the same treatment as the other Irwin Allen shows, but put it on Blu-ray.
I don't think they mined the original elements for the current LIS dvds. Whatever they used wasn't as good as the video masters Columbia House used in the 90s. I'm sure there's better stuff in the Fox vaults. (I hope so anyway).
To answer the original post, I would like to see pristine, digitally restored blu-ray re-releases of:
I Love Lucy
Beverly Hillbillies + Green Acres + Petticoat Junction
Bewitched blu-ray complete series set with lots of extras this time around. And a good number of the eps that are on dvd need to be cleaned or upgraded anyway.
The Wonderful World of Disney season sets! Wouldn't that be something!
Batman (and if/when they finally release it, I'll actually laugh if it's available on dvd only. They've waited way too long for that. They need to do it as a complete series blu-ray boxed set at first...then downgrade to season sets or dvd season sets. I want the best possible boxed set first--not have to wait around another 5 years for them to give me what I really want!!!)
Wild Wild West
The Big Valley
Lost in Space (with new extras and commentary from cast on selected episodes).
Twin Peaks (new blu boxed set with the "Fire Walk With Me" movie--director's cut at last, if you please!)
90210 & Melrose Place (with restored music)
Pretty much all the Aaron Spelling shows put out on blu-ray; I collect all of them, even the very short-lived and obscure shows. As of this writing, I don't think any of his shows have ever been on blu. The majority of his productions were filmed, although some of the late 80s/early 90s seasons were filmed and edited on tape, so they'd have to reconstruct some of them from scratch, ala ST:TNG. But I sometimes think how beautiful his better productions like Fantasy Island, Hart to Hart or Dynasty would look on blu. Better than anything we've ever seen, obviously. Those dvds are good, but going forward, I think it's going to be endlessly fascinating to re-watch old shows on blu because you'll be able to see details you never saw before.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I don't own a player or any Blu discs but I would get one as well as rebuy BEWITCHED if they restored all the proper openings and cleaned up the lousy prints (mostly which were on Season 5--my favorite) that were on the DVDs.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Kasey said:
I don't own a player or any Blu discs but I would get one as well as rebuy BEWITCHED if they restored all the proper openings and cleaned up the lousy prints (mostly which were on Season 5--my favorite) that were on the DVDs.
Bewitched would be worth getting a bluray player for, wouldn't it? Generally, I give the Bewitched dvd effort about 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Mostly because I didn't like the colorized episodes at all, and when I bought 'em I didn't even realize there was a BW-only version floating around. Believe me--Walmart only had the colorized versions! There were a handful of bad edits throughout the 250+ episodes, but only a few. I think maybe...10 percent of the prints could have been better. Maybe 20 episodes weren't in the best of shape. The rest were acceptable for standard dvd. And the lack of extras drove me nuts! I hope that within the next five years they get wise and revisit that show on blu...I think they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks