What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Newcomers to Dragonslayer may question the overall attraction and affection for this film. I get that. But the dragon, all the special effects work to realize the full fire-breathing creature, are worth the price of admission alone. This 4K is only the second time I’ve seen Dragonslayer having not caught it at all in the 80s (I first saw it within the last 10 years). Not having that critical introduction around the time of its release does take away some of the adoration I might otherwise have had. The kind of adoration I have for films like Conan the Barbarian, Krull, heck, even Beastmaster. But Dragonslayer has an enduring charm that should come across to newcomers and will certainly grow in additional viewings as it has for me.

Dragonslayer (1981)

Released: 26 Jun 1981
Rated: PG
Runtime: 109 min

Director: Matthew Robbins
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess the movie didn't float your boat. :D Anyhow, it's a movie I'd enjoyed ever since it's theatrical run. My 4K disc is arriving in the next couple of days.

Oops, thank you for your fine review.

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
A hidden gem. I saw it theatrically and was impressed. Refreshingly adult and realistic for a fantasy film. And it's aged magnificently. I've owned every incarnation on video, and this is by far the best. Color and black levels are finally balanced, with a subtle digital cleanup. A treat for fans of practical effects enhancing solid storytelling. Loaded with atmospheric vistas and visuals.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It’s a terrific movie with humor dotted throughout the film.

The droll humor of Ralph Richardson is most welcome. The silly, borderline-slapstick "humor" with the Peter McNicol character had the potential to ruin the carefully-crafted atmosphere ("What's the matter, Hobbs, load too heavy?" etc.) Fortunately, the apparent efforts to Disney-fy the film enough to make it more palatable for family audiences are finally outweighed by the brilliance of the other characters, the moody cinematography and music score, and, of course, the magnificent dragon, which to this day remains second-to-none.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is a terrific release, just wish that other cult favorite from earlier this year (YSH) got the same attention, at least transfer-wise.

I noticed one slight mistake in the commentary, where Robbins mentions the film being mixed at Skywalker Sound, when the end credits indicate it was actually mixed at Zoetrope (which would make more sense since it was Walter Murch who oversaw the final mix).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a terrific release, just wish that other cult favorite from earlier this year (YSH) got the same attention, at least transfer-wise.

I noticed one slight mistake in the commentary, where Robbins mentions the film being mixed at Skywalker Sound, when the end credits indicate it was actually mixed at Zoetrope (which would make more sense since it was Walter Murch who oversaw the final mix).
What is YSH?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm too old in dealing with acronyms, especially after frying some brain cells hooking up a new receiver today.
Try installing a new video card in a desktop, only to have the manufacturer supplied driver not work, and then after hours on the phone you just give up and install the latest driver from the chipset manufacturer instead, and everything works.

stevenHa

Second Unit
I don't remember how the film looked back in the early 80s, but is the end battle scenes with the dragon too dark ?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I don't remember how the film looked back in the early 80s, but is the end battle scenes with the dragon too dark ?

It's still a dark scene, but it's much better than previous video editions. You can see the dragon well defined and tell what's happening in this one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which receiver did you buy? I may be looking to upgrade.
A Yamaha RX-A8A

1680037189951.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks