What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection - '31 - '48 (May 16) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's the trailer for their first widescreen feature:

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955) looks great in widescreen! The rear projection during the parachute sequence does look rather obvious. I recognized the shot of the wagon scaling the gap between the two cliffs as having later been used in an "Old Happiness" malt liquor commercial!

Besides a full scale reissue of the A&C Universal Collection on Blu-ray, it occurs to me that Universal could expand on their A&C Meet The Monsters DVD set, to include ALL of Bud & Lou's "Meet" films on a Blu-ray set, which would afford the opportunity for their other aforementioned widescreen feature to be released in its original aspect ratio! Either scenario may be a long shot, but never say never!

CHEERS! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Besides a full scale reissue of the A&C Universal Collection on Blu-ray, it occurs to me that Universal could expand on their A&C Meet The Monsters DVD set, to include ALL of Bud & Lou's "Meet" films on a Blu-ray set, which would afford the opportunity for their other aforementioned widescreen feature to be released in its original aspect ratio! Either scenario may be a long shot, but never say never!
I could be wrong but I think they'll do it. There would only be two new releases (A&C Meet The Killer & Meet Dr. Jekyll And Mr Hyde) and the other three movies would be existing discs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I could be wrong but I think they'll do it. There would only be two new releases (A&C Meet The Killer & Meet Dr. Jekyll And Mr Hyde) and the other three movies would be existing discs.
That would be "Meet The Killer" and "Meet The Keystone Kops" as the new releases, but I hope you're right! :)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
It looks like more money was spent on the Keystone Kops trailer than the movie itself. I remember seeing the Abbott and Costello films in the early 60s on television and how impressive the chase scenes were in their 40s films. When I finally saw Keystone Kops, I was a bit disappointed at how flat most of the chase scenes were in this film. I suspect the earlier films actually undercranked the camera, but Kops did the speed up in post, hence the jerkiness in motion like a eliminated frames. Also, their aerial antics are plagued by bad process work, whereas a similar sequence in Keep 'Em Flying is just about flawless. I still think the very best car chase has to be Field's NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK.

I was talking to a friend who works in Universal restoration about any news on upcoming HD blu rays. I knew about the Dracula and Mummy sets when they did the Wolf Man and Frankenstein sets. They had called in their original nitrate negatives for these releases (also the Invisible Man films) to get the definitive materials for restoration and preservation. I asked him about many of these films previously appearing on various Hi DEF channels and he said they have a large library of hi def transfers for cable, dish etc, usage, but most were done analog and would look pretty bad side to side with a 4K restored master. He pointed to WEREWOLF OF LONDON and SHE WOLF OF LONDON. He said those weren't really cleaned up and I commented on the poor, noisy soundtracks on those two and he just winced. I guess these films are still popular at repertoire screenings, so I assume the main reason was to have quality DCP projection materials. So, they are slowly getting into their library with state of the art transfers. My friend has hopes for many other Universal & Paramount titles. For $25, I don't mind the double dipping at all. And the Mummy set has 5 new restorations, along with THE MUMMY from that horror set a few years back.

I kind of kiddingly told him they should have included ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE in the sets since the Frankenstein monster and Dracula make fast appearances in a wax museum. He said then they should have included HELLZAPOPPIN' due to the monster's guest appearance. Oh well....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah an A & C meet the monsters sets would just mean buying repeats again just for 3 new films and then having to buy them again when the complete A & C set or volumes comes out on Blu. So I would consider a Meet the monsters set a big disappointment as it would just mean another delay in getting the complete sets out especially since HD masters already exist for all the films. Plus Meet the Invisible Man will almost certainly be included in the Invisible Man Blu Ray set.
But I agree with John the A & C films of the 40's are far superior to the ones of the 50's on so many levels. But as a huge fan I want them all.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah an A & C meet the monsters sets would just mean buying repeats again just for 3 new films and then having to buy them again when the complete A & C set or volumes comes out on Blu. So I would consider a Meet the monsters set a big disappointment as it would just mean another delay in getting the complete sets out especially since HD masters already exist for all the films. Plus Meet the Invisible Man will almost certainly be included in the Invisible Man Blu Ray set.
But I agree with John the A & C films of the 40's are far superior to the ones of the 50's on so many levels. But as a huge fan I want them all.
Given the choice, I'd much prefer that Universal reissue their complete Abbott & Costello set on Blu-ray, and include the original aspect ratio widescreen versions of "Meet The Keystone Kops" and "Meet The Mummy!" However, that doesn't seem to be the way the wind is blowing, unfortunately. As a compromise, I would rather see a proper OAR release of the former be included in a revised ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET Blu-ray collection, than not be reissued at all! While I would LOVE for ALL of the A&C Universals to get a proper Blu-ray release, all of the other titles (The annoyingly mixed original and replaced opening/closing credit mess for their 1940 cinematic debut, ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, notwithstanding!) look fine on DVD, in my opinion.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was talking to a friend who works in Universal restoration about any news on upcoming HD blu rays. I knew about the Dracula and Mummy sets when they did the Wolf Man and Frankenstein sets. They had called in their original nitrate negatives for these releases (also the Invisible Man films) to get the definitive materials for restoration and preservation. I asked him about many of these films previously appearing on various Hi DEF channels and he said they have a large library of hi def transfers for cable, dish etc, usage, but most were done analog and would look pretty bad side to side with a 4K restored master. He pointed to WEREWOLF OF LONDON and SHE WOLF OF LONDON. He said those weren't really cleaned up and I commented on the poor, noisy soundtracks on those two and he just winced. I guess these films are still popular at repertoire screenings, so I assume the main reason was to have quality DCP projection materials. So, they are slowly getting into their library with state of the art transfers. My friend has hopes for many other Universal & Paramount titles. For $25, I don't mind the double dipping at all. And the Mummy set has 5 new restorations, along with THE MUMMY from that horror set a few years back.
Especially in light of The Invisible Man films also being sourced from their original nitrate negatives, I wonder why WEREWOLF OF LONDON (1935) and SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (1946) got the short shrift when all of the OTHER new to Region A Blu-ray Legacy titles received the full 4k restoration treatment? Was this due to missing original nitrate negatives for both films, or did both films simply fall victim to bad timing, in regards to when Universal decided on sourcing from original film elements, as opposed to using the old existing 1080p HD transfers?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Especially in light of The Invisible Man films also being sourced from their original nitrate negatives, I wonder why WEREWOLF OF LONDON (1935) and SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (1946) got the short shrift when all of the OTHER new to Region A Blu-ray Legacy titles received the full 4k restoration treatment? Was this due to missing original nitrate negatives for both films, or did both films simply fall victim to bad timing, in regards to when Universal decided on sourcing from original film elements, as opposed to using the old existing 1080p HD transfers?

I think it was simply they didn't have enough WOLF MAN series films, and wanted to put a couple of "extra" titles to help sell the set and took the cheapest route in including these films in the set from old HD masters. They could have looked as well as the other 4k's from the respective periods. I really could care less about SHE-WOLF, but WEREWOLF OF LONDON, although technically not in the series, is one of their 30s gems.

As far as the Abbott and Costello films, I doubt Universal would ever do every film they own for this comedy team in 4k restorations, or even 2k. There are probably 20 of their films I think really deserve the deluxe treatment. They could get 3 films per blu ray discs and could do 2 volumes of BEST OF... Of course, if they do decide to do all of them, I would pre-order at once.
I think IN THE NAVY is the worse looking of the bunch in that suitcase set. I agree about ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, Tony.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think it was simply they didn't have enough WOLF MAN series films, and wanted to put a couple of "extra" titles to help sell the set and took the cheapest route in including these films in the set from old HD masters. They could have looked as well as the other 4k's from the respective periods. I really could care less about SHE-WOLF, but WEREWOLF OF LONDON, although technically not in the series, is one of their 30s gems.

As far as the Abbott and Costello films, I doubt Universal would ever do every film they own for this comedy team in 4k restorations, or even 2k. There are probably 20 of their films I think really deserve the deluxe treatment. They could get 3 films per blu ray discs and could do 2 volumes of BEST OF... Of course, if they do decide to do all of them, I would pre-order at once.
I think IN THE NAVY is the worse looking of the bunch in that suitcase set. I agree about ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, Tony.
Your speculation regarding the extra titles for The Wolf Man set does seem fairly plausible, except that their inclusion is nothing new, dating all the way back to the 2004 Legacy DVD version.

The fact remains that for whatever reason, WEREWOLF OF LONDON and SHE-WOLF OF LONDON didn't get the full 4K restoration treatment that the other Universal Monster titles received. Unfortunately, the more liked of the two suffers the additional indignity of an annoying volume drop issue.

Insofar as the Abbott & Costello Universal film library, I see little reason for them remaining unissued to Blu-ray, as HD versions already exist. Of course, if Universal is in the process of giving these similar 4K scans of the original negatives, all will be forgiven, by me at least! ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here are the UK Dracula Legacy front and back covers:

912rEax3hnL._SL1500_.jpg

91yutQqEmFL._SL1500_.jpg

Note the "And More!" within the Bonus Features listings!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, I suddenly find myself in the mood for a rip roaring rant fest!

I'm just going to cut to the chase. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936), the ONE Film that I wanted to do screenshots for, WON'T play on my Leawo Player! Repeated attempts completely bypass the disc menu and plays ONLY the SON OF DRACULA (1943) film! I don't even get the pleasure of playing the former on my PC at all, as my other Cyberlink PowerDVD software won't play the disc, PERIOD!

The worst part is, the disc plays fine on our Samsung Blu-ray Player, and doesn't even have so much as a blemish to account for it being such a PITA to play on my PC software. My PC's Windows Explorer reads the disc just fine, otherwise! The two main titles on the other DRACULA (1931) disc play just fine on my Leawo Player, so it shouldn't be an issue with my External Blu-ray Player, itself!

Part of me wants to do a disc exchange, but given the above, is there any point? Is it simply a matter of annoying incompatibility with my PC software that for some unknown reason, affects only that particular disc? I so much wanted to do screen captures for that film, and it kills me that I can't!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
OK, I suddenly find myself in the mood for a rip roaring rant fest!

I'm just going to cut to the chase. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936), the ONE Film that I wanted to do screenshots for, WON'T play on my Leawo Player! Repeated attempts completely bypass the disc menu and plays ONLY the SON OF DRACULA (1943) film! I don't even get the pleasure of playing the former on my PC at all, as my other Cyberlink PowerDVD software won't play the disc, PERIOD!

The worst part is, the disc plays fine on our Samsung Blu-ray Player, and doesn't even have so much as a blemish to account for it being such a PITA to play on my PC software. My PC's Windows Explorer reads the disc just fine, otherwise! The two main titles on the other DRACULA (1931) disc play just fine on my Leawo Player, so it shouldn't be an issue with my External Blu-ray Player, itself!

Part of me wants to do a disc exchange, but given the above, is there any point? Is it simply a matter of annoying incompatibility with my PC software that for some unknown reason, affects only that particular disc? I so much wanted to do screen captures for that film, and it kills me that I can't!

Any suggestions?

Yes, contact the Leawo software creator and submit a problem report.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I feel your disappointment. Of all the repeated films on this set, the one (out of two) new ones won't play properly. Better check SON OF DRACULA.
While not fully conclusive, I did the check the end of the title method for SON OF DRACULA (1943), and it passed THAT test.

What really kills me is I seem to have no !@#$ luck regarding the playback of those two films! I thought I was leaving that B.S. behind by going from Flipper DVD to Blu-ray, but sadly no!

If it were simply a case of complete non play-ability, I would have already been on the horn with Amazon Canada regarding disc exchange, but with this situation, it's hard to be certain what is the cause of my issue! I could blame the Leawo Blu-ray Player platform, but then Cyberlink PowerDVD wouldn't even play the disc at all! On the other hand, Windows Explorer appeared to read the disc properly, and there appears to be no problem with playback of this unblemished disc on our Samsung Blu-ray Player, either!

It's these dumb@$$ grey areas that drive me effing Batty! At this point, I really don't know where to begin? Is this a case in which I should just bloody well throw up my arms, and give up the ghost, so to speak?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I am guessing MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN will turn up on the I.M. set, maybe next year, along with a presumptive CREATURE set, which might hopefully include REVENGE OF THE CREATURE in 3D.
MEET DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, MEET THE KILLER (not really a horror spoof). More in line with the scary/funny stuff would be HOLD THAT GHOST, which is a gem.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While not fully conclusive, I did the check the end of the title method for SON OF DRACULA (1943), and it passed THAT test.

What really kills me is I seem to have no !@#$ luck regarding the playback of those two films! I thought I was leaving that B.S. behind by going from Flipper DVD to Blu-ray, but sadly no!

If it were simply a case of complete non play-ability, I would have already been on the horn with Amazon Canada regarding disc exchange, but with this situation, it's hard to be certain what is the cause of my issue! I could blame the Leawo Blu-ray Player platform, but then Cyberlink PowerDVD wouldn't even play the disc at all! On the other hand, Windows Explorer appeared to read the disc properly, and there appears to be no problem with playback of this unblemished disc on our Samsung Blu-ray Player, either!

It's these dumb@$$ grey areas that drive me effing Batty! At this point, I really don't know where to begin? Is this a case in which I should just bloody well throw up my arms, and give up the ghost, so to speak?

Try VLC Media Player. It has all the necessary codecs "built in" and plays almost everything - as long as the disc/media is good. It's also open source and 100% free.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Try VLC Media Player. It has all the necessary codecs "built in" and plays almost everything - as long as the disc/media is good. It's also open source and 100% free.
Thanks Howie, but I've already gone through the depressing agony of that route! Unfortunately, VLC Media Player WON'T play Blu-ray without a pass key (And even then, it's 50/50, at best!), which you have to pay for after a few weeks, once the trial period is over!

When it comes to Blu-ray screen capturing, for me, Leawo is my ONLY option, as I refuse to buy Blu-ray software, which I can't really afford for starters, for my PC. If, for some reason, Leawo refuses to play part of, or all of a certain Blu-ray disc, I'm basically screwed six ways to Sunday, on that score!

Yes, VLC Media Player IS a great piece of software, which is a go to for my other video playing platforms! What a shame that it won't readily work for Blu-ray playback, but hashing and rehashing about this has done me little good! It is what it is, unfortunately!

EDIT: Upon trying both PC software platforms again, it turned out that an update for CyberlinkPowerDVD was necessary to get the disc to play on that platform! Perhaps it might take something similar for Leawo Blu-ray Player, although it doesn't make sense to me why it would work for one of the two titles on the disc, but not both, if it's a decryption update that's required? I had assumed that nothing would play in a case like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks