What's new

Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection - '31 - '48 (May 16) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For fellow Canucks; the current difference in price between the Dracula standalone Blu-ray, and the upcoming Legacy Blu-ray set is only around $10 on Amazon Canada.

CHEERS! :)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Not entirely happy with these box set releases have to say as they are filling them with films already included in previous box sets. I now have multiple copies of A&C Meet Frank an others. Expensive exercise to get a couple of new films really.

A life long fan of Lugosi but I wont be buying the Drac set anytime soon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not entirely happy with these box set releases have to say as they are filling them with films already included in previous box sets. I now have multiple copies of A&C Meet Frank an others. Expensive exercise to get a couple of new films really.

A life long fan of Lugosi but I wont be buying the Drac set anytime soon.

Well if you have the Frankenstein set, you only really need Dracula, which you can buy on its own, or you'll already have it if you have the big Classic Monsters box.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well if you have the Frankenstein set, you only really need Dracula, which you can buy on its own, or you'll already have it if you have the big Classic Monsters box.

Let's see...SON OF DRACULA and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER have not been previously released on Blu-ray. I really like both of these, and the low price of the Dracula set makes it a worthy purchase for me.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Let's see...SON OF DRACULA and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER have not been previously released on Blu-ray. I really like both of these, and the low price of the Dracula set makes it a worthy purchase for me.

Oh, me too. I was thinking that if the poster was a big fan of Bela Lugosi he only needed the standalone Dracula.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following was posted on a thread at Blu-ray.com:

Originally Posted by babybreese
We already knew about the MUMMY films & widescreen A & C MUMMY,
but great news for the DRACULA sequels from Bob Furmanek over @ CHFB

Just got confirmation. The following are new 4K scans off the original 35mm negatives:

The Mummy’s Hand - nitrate
The Mummy’s Tomb - nitrate
The Mummy’s Ghost - nitrate
The Mummy’s Curse - nitrate
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (widescreen)

Dracula's Daughter - nitrate
Son of Dracula - nitrate

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Absolutely love A&C Meet the Mummy and totally fractures me every time :)
I haven't seen this film in over a decade. The last time was after getting the BEST OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO, VOLUME 4 flipper DVD set in late 2005! It'll be interesting to finally see ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) in it's original aspect ratio, which I wasn't aware of it being in the wrong aspect the last time I had viewed it! Huge thanks to Bob Furmanek, for your ongoing efforts in increasing such awareness, and in your ongoing contributions towards righting these!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's in flat WS on the latest A&C Complete Collection sets as well as The Mummy Legacy Collection on DVD. I'd resigned myself that it would likely be the best we'd see as you'd have thought Universal would have done it right on at least one of those sets.

I'm excited about this entire set! The Mummy series is one of my favorites from Universal. Even as a kid, when I ignored the Hammer remakes of all the other Universal Monsters, I liked Hammer's takes on The Mummy and would eagerly watch them any time one made its way to the TV.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's in flat WS on the latest A&C Complete Collection sets as well as The Mummy Legacy Collection on DVD. I'd resigned myself that it would likely be the best we'd see as you'd have thought Universal would have done it right on at least one of those sets.

I'm excited about this entire set! The Mummy series is one of my favorites from Universal. Even as a kid, when I ignored the Hammer remakes of all the other Universal Monsters, I liked Hammer's takes on The Mummy and would eagerly watch them any time one made its way to the TV.
Flat WS? You meant Fullscreen 1:33.1 (Or thereabouts!), right?

Unfortunately, Universal had a tendency to release their mid '50s films at or near Academy Ratio, instead of the original widescreen ratio. Even the reissued single sided Ma & Pa Kettle series DVD set from 2010 didn't correct the AR for the 1954 "At Home" and 1955 "At Waikiki" entries. At least Universal did get it right for the final two 1956-57 post Percy Kilbride "Kettles" features, and released those in their original widescreen format.

That ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) is finally getting released in it's proper aspect gives me hope that the two aforementioned Ma & Pa Kettle features might also get issued that way someday!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sort of... They are WS but are non-anamorphic - WS in a 4:3 frame. So... you either get it WS "windowboxed" or have to zoom to get it to proper size.
Ironically, I have the latest version of the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION set, but obviously I haven't checked "Meet The Mummy" on that one, so I just assumed it was Academy/Fullscreen like it has been "widely" reported. Your post is the first indication that I've read of it being anything otherwise! That it's non-anamorphic probably makes it worse, especially for DVD, however!

EDIT: I can't speak for the version on The Mummy Legacy DVD set, but "Meet The Mummy" IS full-frame open matte on the aforementioned 2014 repackaged A&C set:
vlcsnap-2017-04-24-23h47m05s055.png

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes I can confirm I have both DVD sets with Abbott and Costello Meet the mummy and the Mummy Legacy set and all 3 are 1.33:1 Full Screen. Universal has never released a widescreen version of this film. Besides the Kettle films other 50's widescreen films they continue to release open matte instead of widescreen include the last 3 Francis the Talking Mule films, Several 50's Sci-Fi films and numerous westerns, war movies and swaskbucklers from the 50's. Universal has a very bad habit of this.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You can take the French blu-ray and use your player to make it widescreen and it still looks great. I do that with Plan 9 From Outer Space and Little Shop of Horrors too. Cake- eat it too!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ironically, I have the latest version of the ABBOTT & COSTELLO: THE COMPLETE UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION set, but obviously I haven't checked "Meet The Mummy" on that one, so I just assumed it was Academy/Fullscreen like it has been "widely" reported. Your post is the first indication that I've read of it being anything otherwise! That it's non-anamorphic probably makes it worse, especially for DVD, however!

EDIT: I can't speak for the version on The Mummy Legacy DVD set, but "Meet The Mummy" IS full-frame open matte on the aforementioned 2014 repackaged A&C set:
View attachment 37776

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they're full-frame open matte transfers in that set.

Yes I can confirm I have both DVD sets with Abbott and Costello Meet the mummy and the Mummy Legacy set and all 3 are 1.33:1 Full Screen. Universal has never released a widescreen version of this film. Besides the Kettle films other 50's widescreen films they continue to release open matte instead of widescreen include the last 3 Francis the Talking Mule films, Several 50's Sci-Fi films and numerous westerns, war movies and swaskbucklers from the 50's. Universal has a very bad habit of this.
Well... that just proves how lousy my memory of this title is - even having watched it on all those sets!!!:wacko:

So... just which movie am I thinking of then? Maybe The Creature from the Black Lagoon? No matter as A&C Meet the Mummy will finally be correct on The Mummy set!

And just why are we discussing The Mummy set in the Dracula thread? Is that your fault, Tony?!? ;):lol:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well... that just proves how lousy my memory of this title is - even having watched it on all those sets!!!:wacko:

So... just which movie am I thinking of then? Maybe The Creature from the Black Lagoon? No matter as A&C Meet the Mummy will finally be correct on The Mummy set!

And just why are we discussing The Mummy set in the Dracula thread? Is that your fault, Tony?!? ;):lol:
Perhaps you were thinking of "Revenge Of The Mummy" or "A Mummy Walks Among Us?" ;):D:blink:

Considering the Mummy never mixed with any of the other Universal Monsters during Universal Horror's Golden Age, I don't see any harm in a bit of thread interaction, no? :lol:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You can take the French blu-ray and use your player to make it widescreen and it still looks great. I do that with Plan 9 From Outer Space and Little Shop of Horrors too. Cake- eat it too!
While not quite ideal, if I decide that I miss the open matte version of ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955), my A&C Complete Universal Pictures Collection DVD set isn't going anywhere. I definitely would not want to zoom in that Non Blu-ray version, however! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks