What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Double-Dipping (1 Viewer)

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I've double dipped on:

- Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
- Black Hawk Down
- Starship Troopers
- Replacement Killers
- X-Men
- T2 (have each DVD release, including a 2 disk U.E., and a 1 disk Ultimate Edition)
- Die Hard 1-3
- Full Metal Jacket
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- Charlie's Angels
- Resident Evil
- The Professional/Leon
- Akira (Tin SE and DTS Edition)
- Saving Private Ryan (DD to DTS)
- Highlander
- Armour of God/Operation Condor 2
- Reindeer Games
- Neon Genesis Evangelion Vol. 1
- Macross Plus (OVAs and Movie editions)
- A Better Tomorrow 2
- Any Given Sunday

I've been lucky enough to avoid having to double dip on a lot of stuff via waiting for a newer edition (still waiting for an SE of Face/Off, been 5 years waiting).

Magnus Nord

Agent
I havent double dipped ANY DVD yet.. but im going to when the special edition of blade runner is released.. maybee im buying the new edition (r2) of big lebowski since the first one had some bugs in it apparantly..

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
LOTR: Both versions, which since they are completely different, I don't think of that as a double dip.

Terminator 2 - Ultimate and Extreme--I'm soo dissapointed in myself, but for 14.99, I couldn't pass up the Extreme.

Scarface when it comes out will probably be my next one.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Not as bad as I thought, considering I currently own over 600 DVDs, and have owned almost 1000 DVDs over the years...

Amadeus (Remastered Version, Director's Cut) (1984): Special Edition
Clear And Present Danger (Remastered Version) (1994): Special Collector's Edition
Dirty Harry (Remastered Version) (1971): Clint Eastwood Collection - The Dirty Harry Series
Fargo (Remastered Version) (1996): Special Edition (Pre-ordered)
Few Good Men, A (Remastered Version) (1992): Special Edition
Hunt For Red October, The (Remastered Version) (1990): Special Collector's Edition
Lord Of The Rings, The: The Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Edition) (2001): Collector's DVD Gift Set
National Lampoon's Vacation (Remastered Version) (1983): 20th Anniversary Edition (Pre-ordered)
Patriot Games (Remastered Version) (1992): Special Collector's Edition
Rambo: First Blood (Remastered Version) (1982): Rambo Trilogy - Special Edition
Right Stuff, The (Remastered Version) (1983): Special Edition
Sneakers (Remastered Version) (1992): Collector's Edition
Swingers (Remastered Version) (1996): Collector's Series
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Remastered Version) (1991): Extreme DVD
There's Something About Mary (Remastered Version) (1998): Widescreen Collector's Edition
Unforgiven (Remastered Version) (1992): Special Edition

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have double-dipped quite a few times so far. Generally I only re-buy if the new version has a better video transfer, or is anamorphic and the previous version wasn't (though anamorphic is NOT a guarantee of better PQ in itself). The only exceptions to this I can think of are Pearl Harbor (Director's), FOTR EE, Black Hawk Down (Deluxe), X-Men 1.5, The Right Stuff SE, and the Ultimate Toy Box, all of which I got for the extras. I also got the Das Boot SB, and it's debateable if the PQ is much better than the previous Director's Cut.

Some I'm planning to re-buy soon are Fargo, Fish Called Wanda, Goodfellas, Scarface, Something About Mary, Office Space, and possibly the big Alien set and the LoA SB if a better transfer.

You know, the way I see it is if I wasn't at home watching the movie, I'd probably be out spending a LOT more $$ than the DVD cost, so I'd have to say the extra DVD cost doesn't bother me at all.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
My only DVD double dips thus far:

T2 - Ultimate and Extreme Editions
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - 2-disc regular and 4-disc Extended Version

Now if they would do a proper SE of Superman II, with all the right bells and whistles including all of the Richard Donner footage, I'll definitely double dip that one! :)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if i can remember them all:

LOTR-FOTR: keeping both versions
Xmen: keeping both versions
Replacement Killers
Groundhog Day
Starship Troopers
Patriot Games: upgraded to superbit
Mask of Zorro: from original release to the superbit deluxe
Fifth Element: to superbit
Hunt for Red October
Amadeus
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Die Hard 1-3
Silence of the Lambs: keeping both the criterion and the mgm se
The Killer: keeping both the Fox Lorber and the R2 Hong Kong Legends discs
Hard Boiled: keeping both the Criterion and the new anamorphic release
Star Trek 2-3, and will be upgrading 4-First Contact
Gremlins
Stargate: from SE to the Ultimate edition

and there have to be some more that i'm forgetting about.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Most of my double-dips are from me upgrading a VHS to DVD, so that shouldn't really count. But as for rebuying DVDs...

The Stanley Kubrick Collection - I had all of them on VHS, I got the first boxed DVD set (not for too much as I recall), and then replaced it with the newer set, which has been worth it for the better picture and sound quality. I had bought Eyes Wide Shut seperately as it was not part of the first set, so I have two copies of that as well. The bonus DVD was certainly an incentive.

Fellowship Of The Ring - Need I say more?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Again, need I say more?

Traffic - One of my favorite films in recent memory, the Criterion edition was definitely worthwhile. It was probably worth it just to get the Spanish subtitles presented as burned-in opticals instead of as a seperate (obnoxious) video subtitle option. Soderbergh commentaries are always great, especially with his interplay with the writers, and I thought the secondary track featuring the producers and consultants was interesting as well.

Wonder Boys - My other favorite recent film. Lost the first copy, really couldn't bear to be without it. Bought it again. Found the old one a few months later.

Lost Horizon - Bought a copy for myself, then was given a copy as a gift and never got around to returning it. Now that I've tried, it doesn't seem like any store near me will take it back, even though it's unopened.

There may be one or two more that I'm forgetting, but I think that's it. (If anyone wants my older editions, feel free to drop me a line to discuss a trade.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks