What's new

Doom and Quake trilogy's on XP? (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Quake 3 Arena is a purely Windows game so I'd imagine it runs fine on XP.
Quake 2 was also purely Windows, and the source is out there if there is a problem.
Quake 1 was originally DOS, but between the official and unofficial WinQuake/QuakeGL ports, and the source being available this shouldn't be a problem either.
Doom / Doom 2 used the same engine for the pair, and thanks to the source being available there are ports from everything from Windows to Amiga, WinCE and goodness knows what else. Personally, I prefer the original NeXT version :)
So, no matter what it is you wanted to play, it should be fine (with a bit of work to find the correct port, at least).

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
XP does have pretty good dos compatibility, the only game i cant get to run is X-com: ufo defender. its a shame that i cant, but id imagine a game so ubiquitous as Doom and Quake would be covered.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
David,

I wouldn't want to advocate piracy, so you'll have to find a legitimate copy from someone, but I have successfully got my old Amiga version of UFO: Enemy Unknown (the European title for X-COM) running on both my Amiga 1200 and under WinUAE for the PC; I'd imagine that WinUAE runs on XP, and the Amiga version was a perfectly good rendition of the game in my eyes.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
Iain: i will check it out. if this works you may possibly become my hero.

one question: is the mouse _really_ tempermental on the amiga version? because i know under win98 xcom would run but as soon as you moved the mouse to the side of the screen to pan over it would pan way too fast to be controlled...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
David - the problem on Win98 is that they, like many programmers (if anyone knows the programming team for the PC WipEout 2097 feel free to slap them from me) they didn't think of the time when PCs run fast enough that their slow scrolling routines would run smoothly. The game assumed that the redraw would take a while (it ran quite painfully at the time), so didn't include any code to speed limit it when Athlons and the like came along.

In any case, running the Amiga release emulated means you can limit the speed of the emulator if its a problem. Just remember that the poor little Amiga struggled rather with the game, and so you'll be in for a bout of thumb twiddling.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, I've just had another idea. Do you still have the install discs for your old DOS, or an old Windows? You could use VMWare to run a virtual DOS environment without giving up XP.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
no but it probably wouldnt be too hard to find. i think im going to work on this over spring break...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks