Don't Worry Darling (2022)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Don't Worry Darling (2022)

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Olivia Wilde

Cast: Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Chris Pine, Olivia Wilde, KiKi Layne, Gemma Chan, Nick Kroll, Douglas Smith, Kate Berlant, Ari'el Stachel, Asif Ali, Timothy Simons, Sydney Chandler, Alisha Heng

Release: 2022-09-23

Plot: A housewife living in a utopian community in the California desert uncovers a disturbing truth about her seemingly perfect life.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Damn. This movie looks amazing.

That second trailer is stellar.

Release day viewing for me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
45% on Rotten Tomatoes

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
45% on Rotten Tomatoes

I'd imagine a part of that number is the gossip going on about who hated who on set.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I didn’t hate Don’t worry darling but I didn’t love it either. Beautifully shot and scored but kinda predictable. Pugh was great, didn’t care for Pine or Styles. No real heart to it. I give it a c-

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I liked parts of the Twilight Zone/Get Out-influenced Don't Worry Darling. But it's another one of those cases from my pov where the whole is less than the sum of the parts. The supposed pay-off didn't quite pay off. My rating: B-

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Loved every second, though I need to sort out what it all means. I mean, I get what’s going on in the story, but I think there’s something much deeper the movie is trying to comment on, too. Great performances from Pugh, Styles and Pine.

So, I understand present world Jack is trying to make things better for Alice in the only way he thinks he can. He lost his job, she’s working insane hours and he’s been taken in by the videos from Frank he’s watching.

I’m going to further assume that’s the same basic story for all the recruits: the men feel a responsibility to make lives better for their wives than they can actually afford to ok the world. So they hook up to Frank’s tech, go into the real world every day to, what, scrounge for money to give Frank to provide for their wives? Is that franks angle: to make money?

The women who know the life is a delusion: they willingly live there because they lit outside life is so terrible? Does Frank’s wife kill him because she is tired of being manipulated?

The bigger story is the life men think women want, but the women just want the autonomy to have their lives.

Really really happy I saw this in the theater. Wild.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked this movie quite a bit until the climax when I thought it really fell apart because it tries to become an action movie. Cool sound design, really nice visual style and pretty sexy (thanks to a beautiful cast).

So, I understand present world Jack is trying to make things better for Alice in the only way he thinks he can. He lost his job, she’s working insane hours and he’s been taken in by the videos from Frank he’s watching.

I’m going to further assume that’s the same basic story for all the recruits: the men feel a responsibility to make lives better for their wives than they can actually afford to ok the world. So they hook up to Frank’s tech, go into the real world every day to, what, scrounge for money to give Frank to provide for their wives? Is that franks angle: to make money?

The women who know the life is a delusion: they willingly live there because they lit outside life is so terrible? Does Frank’s wife kill him because she is tired of being manipulated?

The bigger story is the life men think women want, but the women just want the autonomy to have their lives.
I think a minor problem with the movie is that it doesn't answer alot of these questions. I assumed that Frank was using these people as proof of concept and he planned to make money on it later but there's nothing that allows you to know. However, he could have been making money or he could have been a mad scientist.

I could be wrong but I thought Olivia Wilde's character was the only woman who willingly lived there.

Near as I can tell, Frank's wife kills him because they wanted a twist and it was the only way to kill the villain off.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All fair, Travis. I was trying to overthink on all of that…glad we came to the same place.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks