HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten

Donnie Darko - Theatrical Cut 2018 Arrow release Review
tmp_8qYioN_edcc948454031a10_MCDDODA_EC009-1024x433.jpg

donnie-darko-300x162.jpeg

Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) is an emotionally troubled teen afflicted with visions and sleepwalking. Donnie begins hallucinating a new 'friend' Frank (James Duval), who appears as a 6 foot tall bunny in an evil looking mask, who tells Donnie that the world is going to end in just over 28 days. Frank's influence grows on Donnie, controlling him through suggestion and with theories pointing to the possibility of time travel.
[review]

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam,

How does this transfer compare with the older, non-Arrow BD? I really like this film - - just the theatrical cut - - but if the Arrow transfer is not a significant upgrade I will just hang on to what I have and hope for an eventual UHD release.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The Arrow release is a MASSIVE upgrade compared to the original Blu-ray from Fox. You can see screengrab comparisons of the two at the dvdbeaver website and the Arrow is a big improvement.

Vincent

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Arrow release is a MASSIVE upgrade compared to the original Blu-ray from Fox. You can see screengrab comparisons of the two at the dvdbeaver website and the Arrow is a big improvement.

Vincent

Thanks Vincent. Would you have personally scored the video higher than 4?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Vincent. Would you have personally scored the video higher than 4?

If we were talking about it compared to the original Blu-ray, yeah, probably a 4.5 (I don't think I'd rate the old Blu-ray any higher than 3-3.5). I understand why you scored it 4 stars though, given the photographic style of the film (mostly down to the use of that 800 ASA filmstock as you point out in your review).

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks