What's new

Pre-Order Donnie Darko (2001) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81++GjgAlnL._SL1500_.jpg

• 100-page hardcover book featuring writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
  • Six double-sided collector’s postcards
  • Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Has anyone watched the theatrical cut 4K yet?

i feel like the motion in the film is jerky

something is off, maybe I messed up a setting

I know the first few mins they do slow mo shots etc but anytime there is movement it just looks jerky.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Update, I’ve now compared the opening shot of Donnie waking up - the Theatrical Cut is movement is jerky, on the Dir Cut smooth and natural

thinking there may be a technical issue with theatrical cut disc.

latest firmware on my OPPO

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I got my copy yesterday and watched most of the theatrical cut. I didn't notice anything off about the transfer but then again I'm one of those people who don't notice stuff others see as glaringly obvious like poor compression. I guess that's a blessing lol. What do you mean by "jerky"?

PQ is fantastic on both cuts, typical Arrow. This set is equally spectacular in every way. I hope the label keeps giving us great 4K discs. I'm still worried this will be another Anchor Bay situation under the new ownership.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It could be that it is player based. The best example is the opening when Donnie wakes up the camera pan towards him its not smooth. At first I thought it was the one shot but Donnie looks out towards the mountains and his POV shot as the camera pans again its jerky not smooth at all

Keep it mind I don’t use any DNR or motion smoothing etc on my setup. So if you have those type of settings on it may hide the issue.

the issue was only on the theatrical version disc. I watched the Director’s cut all the way through and its nice smooth natural movement.

so the issue could be player based some models may play disc correctly. That’s why I listed my player.

I posted the issue on twitter and someone else saw my post and that person flat out said they were searching for info about the same

hoping Arrow are looking into it and will make a post soon about the issue.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It seems to be an issue with certain players to be certain. XBox, Playstations, Panasonic owners seem to be nearly universal. Oppo and Sony owners seem to be seeing no problems or much less issues.

Item has been pulled from ArrowUk site and several other sites are not allowing new orders for now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems odd that it would affect one cut but not the other. Did Arrow encode them differently? If so, it seems like the easy fix would be to encode the theatrical cut with the same process as the director's cut.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Unsure of the reasons for the differences b/w the discs and why it affects certain players more consistently, but almost certainly some sort of encoding issues. I don;t think the fix will be that difficult, but it may take a while to get the new pressings done and shipped.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just a heads-up for everyone, I received my 4K UHD Theatrical Cut replacement disc from Arrow yesterday, via the USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks