What's new

D'Oh! I just realized i'm insane. (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
insanity being defined as doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.

just went to several high profile brick and mortars looking for an obscure older film called Mildred Pierce and of course-not one had it in stock, not even Borders which i would have expected would have been culture-oriented enough to have this day and date.
just like A little Romance, Thin Man, Horror Of Dracula and a host of other WB catalog titles, this probably won't show up for several months.

why didn't i pre-order?

oh well, i think i finally got the message.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm not too sure the word "obscure" sure been attached to Mildred. :)

(Although, I suppose that word DOES apply to a lot of younger DVD viewers.)

Anyway .... Yes, Paul! Get Mildred Pierce on DVD asap! A stellar motion picture, with an excellent "noir" feel to it, and fine shadowy, B&W photography.

I just watched that film (on VHS) for the first time last week, and was mesmerized by Miss Crawford, Mr. Carson, and the picture as a whole. Sat frozen for the whole time.
And I can just imagine how good it'll look on DVD! Yum!

Ron's HTF review only makes one hungrier for this great 1945 Classic! ......

"This film looks so beautiful on DVD that I couldn't
help but do research on who the film's cinematographer
was. .... "
:emoji_thumbsup:

And Paul, I wouldn't be too concerned about scouring the brick-&-mortars for Mildred. It'd be hard for any of them to beat this price. (= $12.10 USD.)

Or (if you're like me lately, and don't want to go with any of the Canadian sites), DDD's price isn't too shabby either.

I'm waiting anxiously for Mildred to arrive at my door (with or without that bratty offspring of hers)! ;)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Tell me about it! I've seen Little Women (the Hepburn version) exactly one time in a B&M and not since. Guess I'm gonna' have to order it online, and with it being in a cardboard "snapper" case, no doubt the disc will become dislodged in transit (they always seem to).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
of course, after i posted this, i decided to call Best Buy anyway (they NEVER have WB catalog titles like this on the street date....never) and, lo and behold they had 2 copies- one of which is on my shelf now.

i was being facetious when i called this an obscure movie.
it seemed to be to the 20-something drone working the music counter at borders, but its something i've been familiar with and loved for some time ( i'm a 30-something drone).
imo, its seminal high gloss film noir. i'm always surprised when i bump into film geeks who can quote Tarantino films verbatim, but have no familiarity whatsoever with material like this.

so i was premature. some corporate buyer does a *tiny clue* of the catalog significance of this title.
and as a reward i also snagged a copy of a certain Nick Roeg sci-fi film that seemed to have been shelved a week earlier than its street date.
never seen it before so i'm looking forward to that too.

only thing now is i'll have to wait until my cold blows over so i can really appreciate them :frowning:

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I gave up trying to find titles like this at the local
stores most smaller towns and cities have...
ONline or from a catalogue, is the way i get 'em.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was absolutely stunned to find 4 copies of Mildred Pierce at the Best Buy that I usually stopped at. And even harder to believe was that they had a copy of "A Patch of Blue" and both on their release date.

I had all but given up on finding catalog titles at BB on their release date, but I must admit they have been much better lately. I was able to pick up Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday, THEM!, the entire first wave of Fox Classics, as well as the above 2 titles all on release date and for very reasonable prices.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
i'm always surprised when i bump into film geeks who can quote Tarantino films verbatim, but have no familiarity whatsoever with material like this.
Amen. I mean, look at all the discussion about the contents of the suitcase in Pulp Fiction on the internet -- check out some of the films Tarantino is referencing and riffing off of, and you'll eventually come across that briefcase, and the definitive answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks