What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dog ate the cable. Is it safe to attach the wire? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
Hi. I am running 40' 14 gauge wire from my receiver to my rears. The speakers are 6ohm, my fronts and center are 8 ohm speakers and the receiver is 8 ohm as well. Last night the dog ate one of the cables going to a rear and I reconnected the wire using some tape. (It was my fault though, I left the cable on the carpet behind the couch and she likes to go under there very much...)

There's no problem soundwise, I checked the SPL and it's fine. But I am wondering if this connection drops the impedance of the cable and put extra load on to the receiver?

728x90

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

It [rant]should[/rant] be negligible, but you can easily check it with a multimeter.

And unless it's Exotica Brand (tm) wire made from pure unobtaineum, wire is so cheap, why not just replace it and weave the old wire into a muzzle? (JUST kidding! :D )

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
There is no way the extra joint could drop the impedience, only increase it.

Unless there is a short, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Now, if you're one of the people who thinks the wire makes a difference in the sound, maybe you should replace it, otherwise just leave it.

Cagri

Second Unit
Thanks guys. Now I'll just have to make sure that the wire is wrapped as good as possible against oxidation cause I only taped few rounds with ordinary office type tape...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks