1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dog ate the cable. Is it safe to attach the wire?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Cagri, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Hi. I am running 40' 14 gauge wire from my receiver to my rears. The speakers are 6ohm, my fronts and center are 8 ohm speakers and the receiver is 8 ohm as well. Last night the dog ate one of the cables going to a rear and I reconnected the wire using some tape. (It was my fault though, I left the cable on the carpet behind the couch and she likes to go under there very much...)

There's no problem soundwise, I checked the SPL and it's fine. But I am wondering if this connection drops the impedance of the cable and put extra load on to the receiver?

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

It [rant]should[/rant] be negligible, but you can easily check it with a multimeter.

And unless it's Exotica Brand (tm) wire made from pure unobtaineum, wire is so cheap, why not just replace it and weave the old wire into a muzzle? (JUST kidding! [​IMG] )

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

There is no way the extra joint could drop the impedience, only increase it.

Unless there is a short, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Now, if you're one of the people who thinks the wire makes a difference in the sound, maybe you should replace it, otherwise just leave it.

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Thanks guys. Now I'll just have to make sure that the wire is wrapped as good as possible against oxidation cause I only taped few rounds with ordinary office type tape...

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Cagri, taping is not a good way to accomplish a splice. You might want to read my Comprehensive Guide to Wire Splicing at this link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...497#post568580

I suggest butt splices as a good choice in your situation.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt