What's new

Does this bug anyone else? (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Don't try dealing with folks of Slavic origin who are still learning English then. My dad got the Vs and Ws mixed up all the time, even after he had been in the USA for over 20 years.

I used to get a lot of flak from my classmates, "Ha ha, your dad talks funny, like Count Dracula!"

I finally got fed up one day and responded, "He doesn't talk funny, you listen funny!"

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Actually, it seems to me that "Wega", pronounced almost exactly the way Sony does, used to be the name of a German manufacturer of TVs who sold into the U.S. market. In fact they were a competitor of Sony's, when the latter firm was known for its small models [some battery-powered]. I wonder, is there a connexion?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
cool. can you please tell us how to pronounce phaeton and touareg? i'm an enormous fan of 'folksvaagons', but these are the worst...names...ever.

CJ

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I always thought it was Vega, and condiered the Logo to be a V and its shadow, but wasn't completely sure. I never knew they spelled it "Wega" in print. That being the case, unless they named it after a prieviously established namesake of non-english desent, it's pronounced with a "W" as far as I'm concerned. Sony doesn't have licence to change the rules of the english language. If thats the case then maybe "Sony" is really pronounced "Shit".

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Phaeton: Fay-tun
Touareg: Tewaah-reg
Volkswagen: Fvolks-vaah-gen

Alex-C

Screenwriter

I never really thought about it, but you're right. Vaio, Clie, W/Vega. Sony has got issues.

I work with a guy who has a Wega and its an ongoing friendly joke between he and I that he still doesnt know how its spelled after 3 years of ownership.

When he refers to it, as in "i want to replace my _____ with a plasma", he'll say Wega, Vega. Always pronounces it twice with both ways.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You know the purpose of all this is to get people talking about Sony products, which is exactly what you guys are doing. :) From a marketing POV it's brilliant. Who else could get away with such crazy names?

ARE U R?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I thought the ultimate idea of marketing was to get people to buy Sony products. They're being talkea bout here, but mostly they're being mocked. I don't think I own a single item made by Sony. I really don't see the need to spend extra on a product to support Sony's already massive advertising budget. I'd rather buy a product of equal or better quality from another manufacturer and pocket the savings. :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks