What's new

Does the Panasonic do DTS-ES discrete, matrix, or both? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Daniel

Helps allot to know it was at least same side by side. Yes I agree speakers can have a big bearing on the tonal sound of the recevers.

Well your fan description, "dose not run all the time" is different than the 2 other poster here at HTF and also at AVS, of which they both said:

It, the fan is relativly quite and not an issue in their rooms also, but said that it came on with (very little volume applied). Could be the efficency of the speakers their running, this was not mentioned in ether posters answers.

One has the 200 and the other the 100.

Daniel,
Again thanks, as the more info the better!

I called the closest store carrying the 200 (C-City) a close 55 miles away, but they carry the black unfortunatly, and they are out of stock! Did say they can order and get the *Silver Mirrior* but don't stock it!
So my plan to go look, see, hear, has been foiled for awhile. Will buy the HE-200 on line most likely, but really need to see one in person first....

Edit:
Anyone know if Best Buy carries either HE-100 and HE-200 Pannys and if so what color do they stock????

Thanks
Geoff

Bill Will

Screenwriter
My neighbor has an older Technics Receiver with a fan in it & the fan only comes on when the Volume Control is turned up to a certain point, it has nothing to do with how much juice the amp. is using or how hot the amp. is getting just where the volume control is set, but I've never been able to hear the fan come on with the volume so high & he tells me he has never had a problem with it.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Best Buy closest to me (Dublin, California) no longer carry any Technics/Panasonic components. They were even clearing out the remaining Technics SL-BD20 turntables; quite a good inexpensive turntable by the way. I have seen the black 200 and it's NICE. The silver version of Panasonic gear just doesn't do it for me though.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From my Panasonic Catalog:

FROM THE SPEC. SHEET:
DTS-ES
SA-HE100 YES
SA-HE200 YES

FROM THE CATALOG ABOUT FEATURES:

DTS-ES DECODER

This built-in decoder is for the 6.1 DTS-ES format that adds surround back to the conventional 5.1 ch format. It decodes matrixed surround back for 6.1 DTS-ES Matrix surround sound.And it "CAN" reproduce DTS-ES Discrete, the format in which the signals for each of the 6.1 channels are recorded independently. The result is a richly detailed sound field, with even clear localization and directionality.

It's still pretty confusing but I'll bet when they say "CAN" that it means DTS-ES DISCRETE IS "MATRIXED"

Joe_B_M

Grip
Thanks for all the replies. HE200 owners please keep us updated with anything you experience worth posting.

I think I'll probably get the HE200 soon.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Sorry for the delay in responding folks. I've been on the road, so to speak, for the past week and haven't had any extra time with the HE200 yet. I'll answers the questions that I can:

(1)What DAC's dose it use? Not the b-rate but Brand-type, might you know??

(2)What color unit did you bring home?

(3)How's the "fit and finish" as you did make the point that it is a looker???

(4)Any way could listen to it "without" your built in powered subs running, while doing 2-channel???

(5)The preouts are their for the "Rears", is this TRUE or just what dose it have for preouts if any??
Tuff for me to see clearly in your rear pic, on my junk monitior....

(6)My biggest intrests is in the units SOUND compared to your H/K. You did touch on this a little, but give us more.
You made the point bright or brighter than the H/K but is it still smoothe or more to the harsh side?

And dose this get worse with volume, assumeing you not over-driving the Receivers Amps or your speakers?

Dose the bass sound some what thin like 811S Pioneer in 2-channel, when using perferably tower speakers with NO SUB?
1) Sorry, no clue
2) Black
3) No complaints. The unit feels solid enough. Not quite up to H/K standards, but very good for the price. The knobs and buttons feel about 'right' but I found the volume knob to be a bit too hard to turn (hardly an important issue though)
4) Certainly, but that'll have to wait 'till I can spend some time with it again.
5) Yes, the pre-outs are only available for left and right rear and subwoofer
6) I would not describe the sound as harsh, just brighter than I'm used to with H/K. Mind you, the volume levels I was playing at were significantly higher than the AVR320 can produce. Like I said, backing off the treble a couple of notches brought the sound under control. I didn't try analog direct from the DVD player - perhaps the sound will be less bright if it's not going through the DACs. Don't forget too that I've comments from some that consider the Infinity's I have to be on the bright side (although they have VERY flat frequency response curves). As for power, my ears gave up before the sound quality started to deteriorate. This thing's got lots of power on tap. I can turn the H/K up all the way without distortion and it's certainly loud enough, but it's not too loud for me to take.

Without having more time in front of the unit, this is about all I can report on right now.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Again John,
As you spend more time with the 200, im sure you will find some good and bad. We will be listening for your take on those for sure!
The REAR FAN thing, this is something I've heard a number of different takes on! The only thing "agreed" on is that it's not to loud.
Could you tell me/us if it runs all the time once the receiver is turned on, or just when dose the fan start to run on the 200?
Also you said you were pushing it to very loud levels, did it (the receiver) get warm, very warm, hot, or burn to the touch hot?? :angry:
Thanks for anything you can add John to the constant on slaut of my questions.
Regards
Geoff

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got one negative to report - the 'Auto' setting for selecting the audio input type (between digital and analog) is not what I had hoped. I've got a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box and the analog channels have only analog sound (the digital channels have both). If I start from an analog channel and go to a digital one, it will switch fine, but then it won't switch back again! I have to select a different input, then go back to 'TV' or manually change the input type (even putting it back to Auto works). This a pain as I was really hoping this would work. The SA box definitely does drop the digital output, so that's not part of the problem.

As for the fan, I haven't heard or even given it a second thought. Panasonic receivers have had fans for years but I've never actually heard them in operation. They really don't spin that fast, even at full tilt. Incidentally, the operation of the fan is most definitely based on current output. At certain volumes, you'll see the fan start and stop with the music.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank a bunch John

The auto detect thing dose sound like a major inconvience. But as you have pointed out along with others, look at the price point and features your getting with the 200. Seems almost any receiver has it's nitches some worse than others of course.

I will make my way to the big city to take a personal closer look & listen for sure. Been putting it off for awhile waiting for user information to trickel it's way down. It definitly sounds as though the good, far out ways the bad with what has come threw the forum boards that I frequent so far.

Again thanks for your lastest update on the HE200 John.

Maybe one of the mags will get ahold of a HE200 and do a complete write up and give us their take, would be a plus and certainly should score better than the smaller HE100 that did do very well.

Geoff

Bill Will

Screenwriter
What D/A Converter?

From My Panasonic Catalog:

HIGH QUALITY 192KHz/24-bit D/A Converter

To take full advantage of the delicate musical nuances reproduced during multi-source re-mastering, the same D/A Converter used in the professional audio equipment is selected. Boasting the lowest noise level in the industry a dynamic range of 122dB and 0.0007% THD, the D/A Converter helps assure optimum software performance.

The Picture of the chip has on it:

CS43122-KS Ep
LYAVZD0048

The Chip has a big letter "C" before these 2 rows of numbers.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Rodrigo

Excellent ground work my man!

Good D/A IMO, and again at this price point.

John G
I'll bet you hear a noticable difference running analog direct input on the CD. Let us know, ~{As you seem to be our biggest actual in home information update center}~...!

John do you have anymore, I don't like, or negatives to report on your test unit?

Regards
Geoff

Bill Will

Screenwriter
WOW!!! Rodrigo YOUR GOOD:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
From reading the catalog I'm guessing it's only in the 200 model? Anybody know if the 100 has it? Maybe I should take a good look at the catalog's specs. :D Thought someone might known off hand.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Bill

My understanding of the HE100 is, (NO) it dose not use this D/A.

I'll check to find out what it dose use/have....

Geoff

Edit:
Panasonic SA-HE100 ~{96/24 D/A}~ Brand?

I don't have one of these beauties by the way.... Only an idea.... I've remembered that all Crystal product line starts like CS XXXXX.

And, of course, we're talking about the Panny 200....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks