What's new

Does the Japanese "The Ring" DVD contain English subtitles? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Oh well; thanks for the info.

In that case, does anyone know of an NTSC DVD release that DOES contain English subtitles? I'm multi-region capable, so that's not a problem, but can't do PAL.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dreamworks is supposed to release the original at the same time as their remake sometime next year

Until then, no version with English subs exist

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Do you mean they'll release the original on DVD as the original hits theaters, or will they release both on DVD at the same time? I'd really like to see the original before I watch the remake.

mike-j

Auditioning
There is a ntsc version of the Korean remake entitled "The Ring Virus". I believe it was made in conjunction with the makers of the Japanese original You can get it at poker industries and the like.
Imho and I'm sure a minority one, it is better than the Japanese original....

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't already, you might want to check out Ringworld.
It does have a screenplay for the movie that you could read along (subtitles in your hand?) if you want to watch the original Japanese disc. From the links on the left, it is under screenplays & subtitles
While I can understand the Japanese, even my non-Japanese speaking friends liked the tone/ambiance of the movie. The horror aspect certainly comes through with only a modest understanding of the movie. The music and direction add to the horror and can be understood without subtitles.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
So there is no subtitled home video version out in the whole wide world?!
So EVERYONE who says saw it, saw it without subtitles?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Use DVDSubber (freeware, do a search) with the timed subtitles provided on that site and you can watch it on an HTPC

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No, there are subtitled versions from the UK, for instance (a nice disc, btw). But they're PAL, and the OP said he couldn't do PAL.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Well I got the Holy Grail (AKA Malata N996) so I CAN do PAL :D Why didn't I just check Benson's World, there are 2 sequels as well, Ring 2 and Ring 0, are they any good?
Well I've used DVD-Basen and most reviews are positive of the quality, plus it's the only one, French and spanish and australian releases seemingly used the same print/transfer and are lacking in some minor features, so I ordered all 3 from UK.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Just watched the UK PAL version of RING.

The print is in rough shape but it is anamorphic and very watchable.

It does contain BURNED in (non switchable) english subtitles.

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks