Does DTS sound better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fletch, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Fletch

Fletch Agent

Just got ELP BSS on DVD-A and am disappointed in sound.Do DTS dvd-a discs sound better? My music videos are great in DTS.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

When asking about DTS, I am assuming you mean the format and not the company (DTS Entertainment is a major dvd-audio producer. Somewhere I read DTS won't let people use their format unless they believe the soundtrack or music recording is of high enough quality).
    Anyway.....to me, DTS always sounds better than Dolby Digital on my system--and the ELP disc uses Dolby, correct? In fact, on a couple high end systems I have listened to, the DTS track sounded barely less better than the dvd-audio tracks (Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" and Silverline's "New Age" disc).
    As I mentioned elsewhere, DTS just released at least two dvd-audios with their new 96kHz/24bit compressed format, "Brazilian Bossa" & "Brazilian Jazz", at brick-n-mortar Best Buy's right now. Um, if regular DTS sounds so good, I'll bet this format could possibly equal dvd-audio, except on really revealing systems. And you get real bass management with it too!
    LJ

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Using the same mix the DVD-A will always sound better then the DTS. Why would you want to choose a lossy compression scheme over an uncompressed Hi-res version of the same music?

J

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

5. Fletch

Fletch Agent

Thanx for the info on bass response on dvd-a.Also it is good to know that the DTS folks are picky about the albums they choose to remake.The more I listen to Brain Salad the more new music I hear,especially with the clarity of the percussion parts.I still want to try a DVD-a DTS disc to compare,so any classic rock albums anyone can recommend I would appreciate it. Thanx again to all who responded.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

7. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

't realize there were specific DVD A DTS discs available - I realize that some some discs have both but not DTS specific - any lists available. Certainly DVD A seems better than DTS CD's.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Scott: I own some Boston Acoustics CR9's which are rated (+/-3dB scale) to 42Hz. I realize this isn't exactly sub territory but these speakers have already earned me two phone calls from the apartment manager for "excessive thumping noises"! [​IMG]
    Doug:
    Go here >>> http://www.dtsentertainment.com/dvdaudio.php
    And for DTS-only encoded discs >>> http://www.dtsentertainment.com/music-featured.php
    (I have their Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn disc-it sounds great and the surround mix fits this group's music.)
    LJ

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer