What's new

Does DTS sound better? (1 Viewer)

Fletch

Agent
Just got ELP BSS on DVD-A and am disappointed in sound.Do DTS dvd-a discs sound better? My music videos are great in DTS.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
When asking about DTS, I am assuming you mean the format and not the company (DTS Entertainment is a major dvd-audio producer. Somewhere I read DTS won't let people use their format unless they believe the soundtrack or music recording is of high enough quality).
Anyway.....to me, DTS always sounds better than Dolby Digital on my system--and the ELP disc uses Dolby, correct? In fact, on a couple high end systems I have listened to, the DTS track sounded barely less better than the dvd-audio tracks (Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" and Silverline's "New Age" disc).
As I mentioned elsewhere, DTS just released at least two dvd-audios with their new 96kHz/24bit compressed format, "Brazilian Bossa" & "Brazilian Jazz", at brick-n-mortar Best Buy's right now. Um, if regular DTS sounds so good, I'll bet this format could possibly equal dvd-audio, except on really revealing systems. And you get real bass management with it too!
LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Using the same mix the DVD-A will always sound better then the DTS. Why would you want to choose a lossy compression scheme over an uncompressed Hi-res version of the same music?

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Why would you want to choose a lossy compression scheme over an uncompressed Hi-res version of the same music?
Except for two very expensive Denon models, no other dvd-audio player has dvd-a bass management. And I don't own a subwoofer (live in an apartment), soooooooo............
LJ

Fletch

Agent
Thanx for the info on bass response on dvd-a.Also it is good to know that the DTS folks are picky about the albums they choose to remake.The more I listen to Brain Salad the more new music I hear,especially with the clarity of the percussion parts.I still want to try a DVD-a DTS disc to compare,so any classic rock albums anyone can recommend I would appreciate it. Thanx again to all who responded.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Except for two very expensive Denon models, no other dvd-audio player has dvd-a bass management. And I don't own a subwoofer (live in an apartment)
Lance, if you do not own a subwoofer, bass management will be of little use (unless you have front/main speakers that can handle really low bass combined with small center/surround speakers).

Doug Smith

Second Unit
't realize there were specific DVD A DTS discs available - I realize that some some discs have both but not DTS specific - any lists available. Certainly DVD A seems better than DTS CD's.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Scott: I own some Boston Acoustics CR9's which are rated (+/-3dB scale) to 42Hz. I realize this isn't exactly sub territory but these speakers have already earned me two phone calls from the apartment manager for "excessive thumping noises"! :cool:
Doug:
Go here >>> http://www.dtsentertainment.com/dvdaudio.php
And for DTS-only encoded discs >>> http://www.dtsentertainment.com/music-featured.php
(I have their Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn disc-it sounds great and the surround mix fits this group's music.)
LJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Except for two very expensive Denon models, no other dvd-audio player has dvd-a bass management. And I don't own a subwoofer (live in an apartment), soooooooo............
Actually, The Pioneer 47Ai and the 45A have bass management. The 45A retails for a bit under $500 and is one of the few universal players (plays SACD, DVD-A, and DVD-V, and has on board DD and DTS.

Also, I have the ELP disc, and I think the DVD-A layer sounds pretty damn good for a recording of that age. Bass is quite solid.

And one more point. DVD-A titles use MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing, is I got the initials right), a lossless compression scheme. It is marketed by DTS on their label, but it is NOT, I don't think, a DTS technology.

I could be wrong, but in the case of the Queen "A Night at the Opera" disc (A DTS title), the highest resolution multichannel format on that disc is the MLP (DVD-A) layer. There is also a 24/96 Stereo track, and then a 24/96 DTS Multichannel track (I think).

I have not done a controlled A/B, but the DVD-A layer sounds pretty damn good, if you like surround mixes of classic pop/rock.

IMHO, of course.

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks