What's new

Does anyone keep those fancy cardboard slipcases? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was in the habit of religiously throwing them out (Last Waltz and Total Recall come to mind).

But now, I'm on the fence...

So far I'm holding on to the BTTF and Dances with Wolves SE slipcases.

What really made me reconsider is the amazing slipcase included with Die Another Day.

WOW, they even used clear tape that can be removed without destroying the slipcase. Might be a keeper.

What do you think?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Frank,

I actually keep them (just in case) for resale. If I were ever to sell a DVD on eBay, some picky collector's out there I'm sure would love to have the slipcase as well. Just my $0.02.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I keep mine as well, but for some curious reason, I'm always finding the Beauty and the Beast cardboard cover on the floor of the house somewhere. It must be the li'l munchikin..... :D

8^B

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I keep em because they look better on the shelf that way. Pretty shallow reason, huh?;)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
As a collector (on a budget) I keep everything that comes with DVDs even the adds for other DVDs and Disney products, etc.

-Eric

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i keep them.
i even keep the plastic on them.
i go as far as putting super clear cello tape along the edge were the dvd case comes out, so the plastic won't tear.

on dvd's like the all in the family sets i make a slipcase with the plastic. by only opening one edge and covering the edge of the plastic with the tape.

this is why i dont like the sets like die another day, because it has no plastic. so i cant keep it there to protect the cardboard case.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I actually keep them (just in case) for resale.
Ditto.

In fact, today I had a realization that I've spent far too much time obsessing about the condition of these outer cases and the like, when all they do is sit in a box somewhere until I'm ready to upgrade said DVD.

In the end, they look neat, most of the time. Utimately, they are just a marketing tool to get a person to buy the DVD. I generally do not keep them on the DVD they come with because they are more fragile than a keep case and generally just get in the way of using them.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Why on earth would you throw them away? I can't think of one reason for doing so.

Do you also throw away the dust covers from books? I have an uncle that does this.

I wouldn't dream of throwing away either. Not only are they part of the packaging that is usually quite attractive, they ruin the resale value. I wouldn't even consider buying a used DVD that was missing the slipcase.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I don't get it. It's like vandalism almost to me to toss a part of the package (not counting the shrinkwrap, which I confess I do toss, but it's meant to be tossed). I actually keep the little promo stickers off the shrinkwrap too. Can you say anal-retentive? I knew you could. :b

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Guess I'm in the minority here. I almost always throw them out. I can't stand having all the extra junk lying around. And anyway (in the case of Die Another Day or Dances With Wolves) the DVD is in a keepcase so it's plenty well protected. The cardboard slipcases always end up getting scuffed and scratched and ugly eventually anyway and I can't be bothered to lavish enough attention on them to protect them.

The only exceptions I make are for DVDs like Citizen Kane, The Godfather or Lord of the Rings. Those are all paper so the slipcase does serve a protective function.

I'm not much of a "collector" type I guess. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Do you also throw away the dust covers from books?
Good point. Those slipcases are part of the packaging and shouldn't be considered "Throw Away Material".

I can see not keeping the plastic wrap, but how could you throw away a slipcase that is (in the case of Beauty and the Best and Dances with Wolves) so beautifully designed and produced?

I guess it has more to do with the 'collecting' mentality. I like to keep my collections as close to the way I purchased them as possible. Kinda like action figures where people keep them "Mint inside the box", although with DVD's I like to watch them as well as collect them.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
This topic raises a good question, though:

Why do the studios use annoying, difficult-to-open packaging?

DVD's ease-of-use factor gets worse by the day.

Charlie

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I also question the THROW OUT factor- if nothing else- you could sell them to other loser collectors who bought their discs at Blockbuster, etc. I see people looking for slipcases all the time, both here and on DVD talk!

-Vince

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If the DVD is then in a regular keepcase, then yes, I throw them out. Like my Spy Kids 2, trashed. Now the Harry Potter movies have a cardboard slip case but the inside packaging is different, so I keep those put together.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Example?
Kenneth, I agree that it's really not hard to open a DVD package, but I do have to say that I had the HARDEST time getting my "Memento LE" out of it's case. It's jammed in there SO tight that it doesn't slide out and you really have to yank hard to get it out...plus, there's nothing really to get a good grasp on so the cardboard cover usually ends up getting bent from prying it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.