What's new

Does anyone have a Herman Miller Aeron chair? (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone out there own one of the Herman Miller Aeron chairs? If you own one, are you happy with it? Was it worth the money? I'd like to hear from Aeron owners, happy or otherwise.

I've sat on one for a few hours in an editing suite, but I really haven't used one extensively. It's excessive, and I don't think I can justify one yet, but they're so neat!

If you're not familiar with this chair, you can see it on their website. It's a super-ergonomic chair, but it's around $800.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/prod...ss1-p8,00.html

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'd like to hear some testimonials too. Given the amount of time I spend in front of my computer, I'd love to have a more comfortable chair than the Nichols & Stone that I'm on right now. Wood and butt are not good long term marriages.

The Aeron chair is also sold at DWR .

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I've got one. You'd have to evaluate on your own whether it's worth $800, but it is a quality chair. You can probably get more bang for your buck with other products, although I don't have any specific recommendations.

It is more adjustable than most office chairs, but it is not infinitely adjustable.

My favorite things about it:
• The mesh seat and back covering relieves the hot ass and back problems associated with long term sitting in leather or cloth chairs. It also allows for the free passage of flatulence. :D
• Five wheels, not four. Tipping is not a problem.
• The arm rests can be rotated into or away from your body.

One potential problem for some users would be that the front edge of the seat may be too firm. If you don't adjust the height and the forward tip properly, you may impact the circulation in your thighs.

Ultimately, if an office chair is the piece of furniture that you spend most of your day in, then the Aeron is a good investment. The caveat to my statements being that I have never had any back or neck pain problems to deal with.

Brad

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I've got one at work and it's the best damned chair I've ever had. The mesh is supportive and provides outstanding breathability. If I had an office at home, I'd plunk down the cash in a heartbeat. But since I have a wireless setup and do my computer tasks all over the house, I have no need for one there.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I have one at work too. These chairs are great. I've never been uncomfortable sitting in it even after many hours straight. I'm a software developer so comfortable chairs are a must, and the Aeron is THE chair for code geeks :)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I have one, and I love it. It didn't cost me a cent, either. It was given to me by a furniture vendor. I have the smaller version, which doesn't have the lumbar adjustments, but I've always hated that "fist in the back" option anyway. There are different versions of the chair, which can be determined by running your fingers behind the plastic support on the back of the chair at the top. You'll feel a raised bump in the center (actually up to three bumps, depending on the model). If you spend most of your day sitting in a chair, it's worth the money.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I work at a computer all day and have had serious lower back problems. I was told to go to a high end office furniture store and pick the chair I wanted. The first chair I went for was the Aeron chair but found it uncomfortable and not what I needed for my back problems. I wasn't crazy about sitting on something like a mesh all day long.

I tried many chairs and settled on the ObusForme chair. Its specially designed for back ergonomics and has every possible adjustment. The lumbar area molds itself to your lower back practically. I went looking with pain and this chair instantly felt great. They go for $500 or so now but it was more when I got it...

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I've got one at work and it's the best computer chair I've ever had. I always cringe at how much $$ my company's spent on them as we've probably got 300-400 of them since everyone's got one.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Max,

The Aerons were probably the only dot-bomb item that WASN'T being auctioned off at pennies on the dollar! They're just THAT good! ;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I believe I sat in one of those when I was interning at a company in California in the summer of 2001 for a few weeks. I didn't pay much attention to it, because there wasn't anything bad about it, but nothing spectacular. It's comfortable and great for tilting. Overall, no complaints, but I think $800 is (a bit) steep.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
we have aerons in our conference rooms. highly overrated chairs, in my opinion. we have steel case chairs in our offices, which i like 10 times better than the aerons.

DwightK

Second Unit
I had one in my office and hated it. You cannot cross a leg up under the other due to the sharp edge in front and front sides. You also cannot adjust the seat pan and back support to an upright, forward position. It kinda always makes you sit back. I also have a Steel Case and it is worse yet.

The only chair I like is a task chair from California Chair I believe. I also have one at home. You can make about any adjustment imagineable except it doesn't have the "tilt back" feature which is not ergo anyways.

Basically I like the high-end task chairs, not the manager chairs.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I used to sit on one every day at a previous (dot com bombed) job. Most everyone in the office loved them and were hoping we could get one cheap after the office closed.

The only real complaint I have is that most of the ones we had in the office did not have the fully adjustable arm rests, and the deafult height of them was not good for the desks we were using.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I am an authroized Herman Miller dealer, so I naturally sit in one all day long. For those who do not like the lumbar, Herman Miller just came out with the Posture-Fit. It is much more comfortable than the lumbar, and more ergonomicly correct.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
The Herman Miller Aeron .. AKA "The Dot Bomb A** Cushion" - i like the Steelcase Leap Chair a lot better, more supportive and comfy - i wouldnt drop 800 for either though. I found a perfectly comfy chair called the Lexia at Office Depot for under $200, very supportive, good ergonomics, looks great and high quality leather. i give this one a big :emoji_thumbsup:

http://www.officedepot.com/shop/cata...H5A34VN4&PP=14

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks