What's new

Do you videotape tvshows b4 the dvd comes out (1 Viewer)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Years ago, I used to tape pretty much everything I watched. But right now, I only tape award shows like the Oscars and other similar specials that I know will never arrive on DVD.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I use to tape Seinfeld back in the day. Then I discovered Stan the Caddy, so no more taping. The only other show I ever taped was ROSWELL when it reaired on sci-fi. I was only able to get season 1 and half of season 2 and only the last 5 episodes of season 3.

NOw I don't tape to keep things, I usually only tape if I won't be here to watch it at the scheduled time. There is nothing on tv that I am currently watching right now so I haven't taped in a while... I think Survivor was the last show I ever taped ( but didn't keep).

Michael_CPC

Agent
I used to love taping shows, and then began transfering them to DVD... However it feels like such a waste of time when so much is being released on box sets. If only I knew what would and wouldn't be released in the future.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Boxed sets do a good job and I think it's going to be more important than ever to offer loads of extras.

Many of us can just record HDTV, but even then I'm sure we'd be willing to splurge for extras on HD-DVD and a higher bitrate.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
that was not censored on the orignal broadcast. On the other hand sometimes you get burned with taping South Park on the first broadcast because sometimes they are not completely done when it is time to air or there are gaffes. The "It Hits the Fan" episode comes to mind. The original broadcast was missing sound fx and such.

--Ian

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I was a tape junkie for 20 years! I had the complete season runs of Cheers, Simpsons, Frasiers, Taxis, Leave it to Beaver, Jeffersons, and many more as well as lots of rare shows that disappeared, like Beverly Hills Buntz. I enjoyed the taping and prided myself on editing out all commercials, too!

It was not a hobby, I'd call it A Way of Life. Then in 1999 we had a big house/office fire and the bedroom where I stored my hundreds of tapes burned to the ground. The only survivors were a few score that were in another storage area... After that, I stopped taping completely; I was too depressed to start over.

To this day I still feel my finger twitch (for the pause buttom) when I watch anything on TV with commericals! However, I don't think my wife minds that this obsession has come to an end...

I was thrilled when the DVD box sets started showing up and began my collection with The Sopranos. Now, as they come out, I'm replacing those shows I really miss, like Cheers, Frasier and soon The Andy Griffith Show and finding new ones, like Dead Like Me, that I really enjoy.

Now, I don't watch network TV or tape anything. And, at this point, I don't miss it. It was so much trouble (after a few 100 tapes) to find anything, even with labels and series boxes, that half the time I gave up in disgust before I found what I was looking for.

The DVDs are so much easier to store and find; to say nothing of their aesthetics. I'm really enjoy re-discovering old favorites, too, like Have Gun -- Will Travel, which I never was able to find in syndication. Interesting times...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Having the commercials from the show's first airing was the whole point of taping them! It's a great nostalgia trip; I've been transferring all my old stuff to DVD with chapter stops for each commercial and show segment.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Whatever I tape, I will buy the DVD. I do not consider it pirating, because I do not sell it. I buy the official copy and keep the tapes hidden away.

Just about every episode of:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes (2003-4) (yes, I have EVERY DVD)
24 season 2 and 3 (I gave up that awhile ago, SEVERAL Tapes, equals SEVERAL dollars - I own Season 1's DVD,and want the rest)
Every ep of the last few season of Simpsons (My favorite show of all time, of course I will buy the season sets)

Other than that, I really do not tape anything... I used to occasionally tape wrestling, Survivior, etc.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks