What's new

What were your biggest "Grail Shows" to come out on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
We all have them, a list of TV shows and movies you'd purchase in a heartbeat if they come out on DVD. Here's my list of the three biggest "Grail Shows" I have on DVD, along with a few I'll purchase IMMEDIATELY if they come out on DVD ("If is good!"). :laugh:

3. Ripcord. I fell in love with this show after seeing an episode posted on youtube. Figuring it was too obscure to ever get a release I turned to an "alternate source" to get this show. Then low and behold, an official release HAPPENED! I was more than happy to purchase the official release (and give the 'boots THE BOOT). You can imagine my surprise when I found out the second season was filmed IN COLOR. :thumbsup:.

2A and 2B. The "Bionic Series" (That's The Six Million Dollar Man and the original The Bionic Woman for those of you in Rio Linda!). Tied up in "Rights Issues" for a number of years these shows FINALLY got releases after Disney's 2010 version of TBW crashed and burned in the ratings. The following Christmas both shows were MINE! :D

Number ONE Thunderbirds. Shortly after getting my first DVD movie (Spiderman for the record), I read an article in the newspaper that made me react in a way that EVERYBODY in the cul-de-sac heard, even if they were indoors. This show had a place in my heart, because it was the first science-fiction show I ever saw back in 1965. Needless I just HAD to get it, and on the morning the 'T-Birds was made available there I was at Best Buy. A stock person was placing copies on the shelf and I snatched one right out of his hand. On the day after Christmas I was back at Best Buy, this time to "relieve" them of three other "Supermarionation" shows, Captian Scarlett and the Mysterions, Joe 90 and Fireball XL-5. (I got Supercar and Stingray along with UFO & Space: 1999 at a later date). I like them as much today as I did back then (That's ANOTHER thing I like about this hobby, reliving your childhood!) :rock:

And now the two "Grails" I covet the most, the animated series Hot Wheels and Skyhawks. Heaven help you if these ever get a release, you'll hear me loud and clear if you are on a boat in the Indian Ocean. :rolling-smiley:

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
"Cannon" was my only had-to-have-it, and even with the murky image, I'm really glad VEI released it.

As for things I'd love to see, but honestly don't expect I ever will, I'd go for T.H.E. Cat and 77 Sunset Strip.

All things being equal I've been able to purchase more shows than I would have ever thought possible, so I really can't complain. I love the parts about rekindling fond memories from the past, but have also enjoyed meeting new friends that I had never seen before.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Unabridged and uncensored versions of Beavis and Butthead. (ie. Where Beavis is repeatedly yelling "fire! fire! fire!", etc ....).

;)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I was thrilled when Shout Factory released the first 50 or so episodes of Peyton Place, but I never thought we would finally get Batman- and remastered, too! There's been unsubstantiated rumors of more PP or even a series set, but I am patient.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My original post, from November 2013, in the "What's Left on your Grail Show list?" thread was this:

Batman
Green Hornet
The Bob Newhart Show (finish)
Newhart (finish)
The Brittas Empire
Green Acres (finish)
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett
Amos 'n Andy
My Hero (British - finish)
The Burns and Allen Show
Sgt. Bilko (finish)
Whose Line is it Anyway? (British - finish)
WKRP (re-release with correct music and finish it!)

Since then, we've seen, and I've puchased:
Batman
The Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
Sgt. Bilko
WKRP
The Brittas Empire
(gave up on R1 and purchased it in R2)

with Green Acres coming soon (it's been on pre-order since the day it went up)!

And I have a "grey market" version of Green Hornet I'd dump in a heartbeat should it receive a true release!

WOW!!! In only 4 years!!! I'm somewhat amazed at those releases!

Most of what's left are very long shots but I'd be thrilled with any of them, especially those 3 classic BW comedies (which are unlikely to ever receive a proper release for one reason or another)! :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
In terms of how many airings I've gotten out of them, the complete series set for The Dick Van Dyke Show has to be mine. Even with the Blu-Ray set, I still find myself popping the old DVD's in on my SD CRT from time to time and watching a few episodes when away from my HDTV.

Back when season 1 of My Three Sons was announced, I thought that was it. I was thrilled at long last to be going to Wal-Mart between classes on release day to pick both volumes up. Then I visited this forum in a computer lab before going home and saw the sad news.

They're still on my shelf sealed in shrinkwrap, a decade later. I didn't have the heart to return them since something was better than nothing. But I also haven't had the heart to open them up and hear all the changes. :(

Still hoping someday to see this one done justice, at least for the first 10 seasons.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

I don't believe I ever considered it a "grail" show because I never thought a whole series release was possible. Then all of a sudden it's announced in May and is here less than two months later! I still can't believe it. "And that's the truth."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I concur about Laugh-In. I never thought it'd get anything but those early "Best of" sets. I never put it on a list for that very reason. It's the same with The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour. I have the 2 "Best of" releases but truly hope for a complete series set. I doubt it'll ever happen.

I should probably add The Beverly Hillbillies to mine as well as remasters of My Three Sons. I'm sort of OK with the musical changes, but just barely. I can tolerate it but that's it and would absolutely purchase remastered seasons.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The Dick Van Dyke Show (my favorite sitcom of all time)
Batman
Gunsmoke
Star Trek TOS
Battlestar Galactica TOS
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Carol Burnett Show
Donna Reed Show

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
My grail shows that have been completed:
Mama's Family
I Love Lucy
Murder, She Wrote
Green Acres
Newhart
Family Matters
The Jeffersons
Designing Women
Hazel

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quantum Leap on Blu, with all the original music back intact.
The Facts of Life

Those two were ones I didn't figure would happen because of music or stalling.

Everything else was either out early on in the format, or discovered later because it was on DVD, like The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twilight Zone, WKRP, The Star Treks, The Newhart shows...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks