Do you videotape tvshows b4 the dvd comes out

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rodrick, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

I have every 7th Heaven, The Cosby Show, 2nd Noah, The Battle of Network Stars, WWF Wrestling's Saturday Nite's Main Events, and now North Shore taped. Cause I think these have too many seasons to purchase on DVD, or won't come on DVD.

I almost have all That 70's shows, Friends and REBA's. I should've taped all the Frasier's and Cheers eps cause too many seasons to purchase on DVD.

I had Full House,Baywatch and Hawaii, and Home Improvements taped but most are with commercials and some miss the closing credits and end of tape some are cut short. So taping over them.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep! Well, I used to. I had about 20 or so series' on tape, all without the commercials. A few months ago I started transferring them to DVD-R, along with about a hundred movies and favorite single episodes that I had.

Alas though, some of the tapes just got too old, and I had to toss them. You might want to check them!

I did find that on some tapes, the beginning of the tape lost the audio, but after about an hour they played ok, up to about the 7th hour, when it went bad again. A little weird that the 'tape rot' worked from both ends to the middle, even though the tapes were fully rewound.

I'd start with anything that you have before 1990 first.

Glenn

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I am watching Smallville for the first time on DVD, and the first season came out right before the third season started airing. At first, I was taping every new episode with the idea of catching myself up whenever the second season was released. It started to become a hassle, so I stopped and have just decided to watch strictly on DVD. I don't tape anything else, with the exception of temporary tapes when I can't be there for the broadcast. But, I don't keep those.

Basically, Enterprise is the only thing I actually watch on TV, and everything else I just wait for the DVD.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I haven't owned a VCR for a good long time, but for shows that I like, I download SVCDs of the episodes after they air. I buy the DVDs when they come out, but I like holding on to my VCDs/SVCDs for things like previously-ons (that means you, Buffy and Angel!).

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I tape certain episodes of certain shows that I'm particularly fond of. The episode of The Cosby Show, "The Day the Spores Landed," in which the men get pregnant is one of them.

I taped Survivor All Stars but will get the DVD. I wish I was smart enough to have taped the other seasons...

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I was a mass taper. I taped X-Files, Millennium, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, MST3K. I was a anal taper so I ONLY taped them in the SP mode. With hour long shows I only taped one episode per tape. I am glad I did. Now that I am transferring things to DVD-R, the audio still sounds decent and the picture looks good too. I am working on MST3K right now since those are my oldest tapes. I have something like 120 episodes to go!

--Ian

7. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I have every episode of Bewitched and the Addams Family on tape. I believe I also have every episode of I Dream of Jeannie.

I was trying for every episode of The Munsters but when I heard the first season was coming out, I bagged that idea.

I had also tried to get every episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch but gave up after awhile. I seemed to record over certain parts or not get a good recording.

I'm hoping that every season of at least Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie and the Munsters is released. And I would hope that soon The Addams Family will be announced. When that happens I'm going to sell my collections because I have them w/o the commercials in custom made covers.

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I've read that you are supposed to rewind and fast-forward your tapes every few years.

9. Eve Brown

Eve Brown Stunt Coordinator

I this obbesion (sp?) started in 1997 when I brought my first duel deck vcr. I have many shows on tape with commeicals cut out. Within the past couple of years I first tape in sp mode then edit out the commericals and get usually 8(hr) or 15-17(.5hr) on a 6 hour tape. I buy the dvds when they relased such as alias, dawson's creek, smallville but i still have the tapes that i worked so hard on. I also have over 100 tapes filled with my favorvite soap General Hospital. Some of the episode I have from the few years I was at school suck because of the stupid reception but I tried to tape better versions when they were rerun in the summer to use when possible. Looking forward to getting a dvd recorder. I have a list of complete edits of shows I have done that I want to add to my website so I can trade(another reason for keeping tapes).

To the member who has 2Noah I would love to buy or trade you for it. I loved the series but was not taping at the time.

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Matt, I'm with you on that one. Why waste my own time to tape, capture and render when someone else has already done it (and possibly with better gear than I have myself)?

11. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

Anyone videotape Are You Afraid of the Dark on Nickelodian? I know that show will probably never see the light of day but maybe there is some hope that someone has it on video (and not charging $70 on ebay).

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was like Ian. I taped most shows at slp, 6 to a tape. And shows I really liked at sp, 2 to a tape. then I got a dvd recorder and started to copy them to dvd or retape them of air. I have stopped taping new shows because most seem to be coming to dvd and I can't retape over the dvd's. I have transferred shows to dvd I doubt will come to dvd soon. For example Vengeance Unlimited, 7 Days, Special Unit 2 and other short run or obscure shows.

13. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Yes! I forgot about those. I taped all 65 episodes from the first part of the series and a couple from the post-hiatus seasons (where the Midnight Society was completely new, except for Tucker). I also taped Goosebumps.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to copy them and I'm not able to part with my originals. Sorry. [​IMG]

14. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I've been doing it since the mid-to-late 80's, with all of the Star Trek series, Smallville, and MASH, to name a few. When the DVDs come out, I simply duplicate what extras I can find on those tapes (episode preview trailers, behind-the-scenes clips, etc.) onto individual archive tapes, then depending on the age of the original tape I first used at the time of recording, and the speed at which I recorded those shows, I'll either recycle the tapes or trash them altogether. With Smallville I've been recycling the tapes because of the rapid speed of the series' DVD releases thus far.

15. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Storage conditions also have an impact on tape playability. I have tapes from the late 1970s that still play perfectly.

Another possible reason you're experiencing these problems is using the SLP/EP speed. Using that tape speed is really a mistake for something you want to archive. There is a huge quality jump between SLP and SP, not just picture, but sound, too.

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Buy a HDTV tuner card for your PC, then you can save as much as you want to your harddrive.

17. guille verdun

guille verdun Stunt Coordinator

yeap...

All episodes of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Married With Children and Cheers...those are my favorites.

And because i live in Paraguay, all the shows are subtitled or dubbed in Spanish... this way now i got the originals on dvd and translated on vhs and i working on tranfer this copies on dvd with a PC.

For example...a lot of people find a lot more funny the voices of the simpsons in spanish..even me that i hate spanish dubbing (there is a lot of things ''lost in translation'' sort of speak) but the spanish work on the simpsons is fantastic. To bad the season 1 and 2 on dvd does not have the spanish tracks.

have a nice day....

18. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Putting season 5 of The Simpsons on video this summer has got me really excited about the next Simpsons DVD box set. I don't expect having seen the episodes already recently to make having them on DVD any less thrilling. If anything, it just made me as certain as possible that I am going to love having this season on DVD, because now I know for sure that I love every episode.

19. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

I recorded shows on occasion, it was rare that I'd be so into a particular series that I'd tape every episode, or more specifically, I didn't have the discipline to do so. Most shows I figured would air often enough in syndication that I'd catch them that way. Some short lived series that I knew I'd like, like Dangerous Minds (1996) and Under One Roof (1995) I've got them all. These days, having a dvd recorder, I'm definitely in the mind set of recording favorite shows.

I second that.

20. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

When South Park first came out I started taping it with editing out the commercials. I still continue to do it and have every single espisode on tape with no commercials. It almost seems pointless at this point since they started releasing the DVD's by season but since I have it from the beginning I feel obligated to still do it. The nice thing is I have the entire run on one type of format. Once the DVD's catch up with the current season I will probably try and sell it (although by then most probably wont even know what a VCR is [​IMG] ).