What's new

Do you think Lord Of The Rings has chance to win it all come Oscar Time (1 Viewer)

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Now ill be the first one to say I was skeptic of LoTR having a shot at anything come the Academy Awards yet after seeing the movie ive changed my skepticism, I believe the movie could win Best Picture, and I believe if Ian Mckellan doesnt even get nominated or win come the Oscars that its a disgrace.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I haven't seen the movie at all yet, but I think a good night at the Oscars is definitely a possibility.

As much as some would like to pretend it isn't the case, hype is a huge Oscar influence.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I have not seen the film but here's what I think.

If the film truly is something special that transends typical blockbuster fare of the times, then it has NO chance in hell. Ala = Raiders of the Lost Ark and Aliens

If it is a half rate (not awful but nothing to write home about) epic with little more than nice costumes and a bloated running time then start shinning up them Oscars. Ala = Braveheart and Gladiator, which won oscars they so richly did not deserve.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I think there will be a lot of technical awards as well as a few Acting awards. I think that P.J. will get best director but I don't think that it will win best picture. That totally depends on the mindset of the voters of course. I'm just thinking of all the people that have said"what a lame ending"

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
After seeing it only once, so far, I think it should easily win at least 13 Oscars including Best Balrog and Best Cave Troll and mmmmm Liv Tyler should win Most Fanciable Elf.
Ian McKellan will be battling it out with ancient Christopher Lee for Best Supporting Wizard (good or evil), and Ralph Bakshi will be handing over Best Director to Peter Jackson.;)
I loved Fellowship of the Rings and hope it does really well at the Oscars, I think it has a good chance to be nominated for Best Picture and Best Director, and should clinch all the technical awards easily.
Howard Shore should get a nod for his superb score.
The only obstacle in its path that I can see is a little movie called Moulin Rouge.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Steve Christou, you're slipping! :D What about Cate Blanchett for Best Elf Queen?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Actually, I believe LOTR might just stand a chance of nabbing the Best Picture Oscar. Most of the other critically-acclaimed movies this year weren't your typical Hollywood fare. I'd say it's a toss-up between LOTR and Moulin Rouge.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Ala = Braveheart and Gladiator, which won oscars they so richly did not deserve.
So true.

Regarding the topic, having seen it once, I think it could well pick up a few statuettes, Best Director I'd say is a lock and all the technical awards should be in the bag. Acting/Sceenplay/Picture wise - I doubt it!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Best Director I'd say is a lock
Unless perhaps the academy voters have seen Moulin Rouge.
TLOTR should win many (if not all) of the technical Oscars.
As for acting, the only two with a chance are Sean Bean and Ian Holm, IMHO, each for Best Supporting Actor. I would prefer that particular award to go to Jim Broadbent, however, who really acted his socks off in MR.
Best Film? Probably in with a good chance, given Gladiator's underserving win.
Best Adaptation? Good chance, though Harry Potter may steal that one.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Just got back from seeing it and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. It definitely will get a lot of consideration from the Academy. I was just thinking the Moulin Rouge had by far the best set designs of the year, then along comes Lord of the Rings, which I think surpasses Moulin Rouge in this regard. The director/producer combo should have been the ones hired to make Harry Potter, because, in my opinion, this is sooooooooooooo vastly superior. This is much superior to the true definition and spirit of an epic than the films usually very loosely labeled as such. Do I really have to wait a year before the sequel comes out. Now, if only Ali can be as good.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Just wanted to add that if I had to choose the best picture of the year though, it would be either Moulin Rouge or Ghost World, of which I'm probably the only one who holds it in such high regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks