What's new

Do YOU sit through the credits?? Why? (1 Viewer)

John Chow

Second Unit
I usually do for movies I like. I was rewarded for LOTR, since I recognized the conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe as a couple of the more prominent Tolkien artists since I have a couple of Tolkien illustration books that feature their work. It really helped explain why lots of the sets just looked so perfect (i.e. the distance shot of Rivendell).

Colin-H

Second Unit
I usually watch the credits for most of the reasons mentioned already, and to give myself a cool-down period after the movie to force myself to think a little more about what just went on.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
I try to make sure I sit through the whole credits at least once (but I won't bother on repeat viewings of a DVD unless I want to go through the music -- The Matrix and Swordfish would be examples where I'm fond of the end credit music). For me, it mostly arose out of a sense of shared experience, as in HS I did some set work and ensemble roles in plays (in addition to one fairly good role). As such, I like to see the the crew and ensemble cast recognized for their contributions.

Another movie with a nice post-credits item was Fast and the Furious. And didn't Chicken Run have something, too?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Sometimes I stay all the way, but most of the time I don't. If it's a movie I liked a lot, I feel compelled to stay, occasionally because I'm sort of "frozen"; however, this is a rare experience. If it isn't a great film (or doing something novel in the credits), I'll stay only if there's something I'm looking for in the credits. Otherwise I'm on the way out. Not sprinting from the theater like some (although that can be the case for those films that are truly awful) but by no means sticking around for all the credits.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I love to stay and sit through the end-credits, until the screen goes all black.
In the cinema, but I hardly go there anymore, it's not always possible: people standing up (blocking your view as well), trying to leave from your row, sometimes the lights go on even!
At home I do it all the time. I don't forbid my children to leave, but I look slightly reproachful and they know they have to be quiet and to avoid making false light.

Cees

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
I don't usually sit through the credits. However, for some reason I found myself sitting through the Twister credits when it was in the theater.
When it got down to the special effects credits there were TWO people with the same last name as me. Sure, you may not think that is a big deal but my last name is Pancake.
The Pancake FAQ
-JPancake

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hmmm ....

In general, I end up leaving with my party (whoever I came with) and sadly I do not stay for the credits - except in the case of Chicken Run and the hilarious Chicken vs the Egg bit at the end.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I always have since I was 11 years old and saw Abominable Dr. Phibes....after the credits there's an evil Vincent Price laugh. So I have always made it a point to stay, lest I miss something like that. I was the only one in the theater for TPM who heard the Darth Vader breathing after the credits too. There are always interesting credits to read in the meantime, with joke ones or at worst, a bizarre credit for a caterer, which I find humorous for some reason.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
I always stay, even if it's a foreign film (fun to see which words are easy to recognize!), and I sometimes get flak from my companions. Every once in a while, though, those that stick with me are rewarded, as in the case of "Harry Potter."

I want to make sure that I see all the anmes of the people involved, and it's fun to see names reappear. Gary Rydstrom's name never appears in opening credits, but he's an important part of why certain movies are so fun to watch, and I'm always happy to see other names that I recognize (Larry Blake's name came up at the end of "Solaris," to name another sound guy; a lot of FX people appear in enough movies to be recognized).

It's also fun to stay and see if anyone was thanked. Kevin Smith movies are always neat for this, but I think it's cool that Mike Nichols was thanked at the end of, again, "Solaris" (what movie have I seen most recently?!).

And, as others have already pointed out, the music is nice to listen to as is having a moment to decompress.

Roger Ebert says that if the cleaning crew comes in during the credits (or, obviously, if the house lights come up), you should ask for your money back. I've never tried it, mostly because it's hard enough to get a refund or voucher if something goes wrong with the film itself (captive audience or something...), although it would make my moviegoing essentially free!

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I stay quite often, and Seth has explained the reasons well enough.

In addition, I appreciate the credits very much because during the entire time I lived in Taiwan, not once did I see a full credits run through. Once the credits begin, house lights glow, and the projector simply stops! This was still true when I saw Spirited Away last year during my visit; the audience I saw the movie with was clearly enjoying the wonderful credits song, but no, it ends after the first verse. What happens in other countries?

PS: Attack of the Clones' credits does not contain Vader's theme/Imperial March. Williams' recording and the soundtrack release does, but the end credits in the movie is simply the concert version of the love theme slapped on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks