What's new

Do YOU sit through the credits?? Why? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nope, I clear out unless the credits are done in an interesting way or immediately prove to have bonus footage. I just don't see any point in sitting there watching names scroll by which, after the first 10 or 15 title cards, scroll up far faster than they can be read. I hope to be involved in filmmaking in some capacity in the future (cinematography holds my interest as of now), but I wouldn't expect people to sit through them for me either.

DVD is different, I'll usually watch them interactively, a combination of fast foward and freeze frame to check for familiar names or for the names of people who's work I particularly liked in the film.

Overall, while I appreciate and approve of their purpose, it's not something I regularly partake in.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Not to thread-crap, but what happened at the end of Harry Potter? Someone can PM if if they would like. The dickheads that run the theater here are notorious for shutting off a film when the credits start, and this was no exception. We've tried saying things about it, but have been told they need to get the theater cleared to have time to clean it properly. My patience is at an end with that theater (the only one in town), but I'd still like to know the ending.

That being said, I always sit through the credits, mainly because music selection is one of the most interesting parts of movie-making for me. So I always sit through to se the composition names, composers, artists, etc. And it's just simple good taste.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I like to because I'm always looking for tidbits like at the end of HPATCOS, and also because, being into classical music, I like to hear the end music which often is in effect a concert suite version of the score. Its funny, for the first time in ages I didn't make my wife sit through the end credits for Harry Potter. Then of course I found out about the funny tidbit featuring Branagh. Went and saw it again (I wanted to anyway) and remained for the ending that time.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

Unless I really just didn't care for a film, maybe if I've seen it already, and often if the bathroom is really calling, I will skip the credits.

Of those times I still like to at least catch the main credits before they fall back from stylish to the generic "every one of the billon people involved, white on black slow roll" style.

However, if I have enjoyed a film even mildly and I'm in no rush for relief then I love to stay for the entire film. I use the credit time to reflect back upon what I have just seen (which good credit music can enhance). I also sometimes like to look at just what made up the film production. Often you get a better concept of the location spread or extent of the production from watching the credits.

While a nice surprise at the end is fun, rarely do I stay in hopes of seeing one. Instead its because the film put me in the right state of mind and I like easing out of it rather than a sudden stoppage.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The dickheads that run the theater here are notorious for shutting off a film when the credits start, and this was no exception.
That's an interesting point to raise. I've seen it happen a few times, not where they go as far as shutting the film off, but in some cases they have brought the house lights up as the first credit begins to roll. Drove me insaine!

Dan

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Simple answer. The movie is not over until the final credit has scrolled. I have always felt this way even as a young child. My Dad would always try to change the channel on me after a show ended, but I would never let him until the credits were completed.

I think it's a show of respect to watch the credits of a movie that you enjoyed. Admittedly I don't always read the names, but most of the time I try to read the major credits just to see if there are any names that I recognize. I particularly like to see which songs/music were used and who the artists are.

It drives me crazy when the film ends and everybody in front of me immediately stands up and starts to get their things together. If you don't want to watch the credits, that's fine, but get the (!&@(^% out of my way. I'll usually move my head around trying to hint to them that I'm still watching, but most people are completely ignorant to the fact that some people enjoy the credits. I also hate it when the cleaning crew turns the lights on and start cleaning around me. Most of the time, they start carrying on loud conversations and making quite a ruckus. I've had them come right up to me and start sweeping around my feet.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Adam,

Yes, it's very rare that I have seen them do that here. I can probably count the instances I've sat through that on two hands.

Dan

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I usually will stay and watch the credits if I like the music being played, the credits are done interestingly or there are tidbits at the end of the film to watch.

I remember learning in film school that the credits at the end of a film are pretty much for the film industry's sake. Probably has something to do with the unions or people needing them for resumes. When you watch older films didn't they have these exhaustive lists, which in a way is quite nice, since the credits don't tend to add much artistically or plot-wise (most of the time) to a movie.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I never leave a screening until I see the MPAA logo. Always watch the credits, no matter the film and no matter how many times I've seen it. SOP.

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
Thanks Eric,
You said the "magic words" IMHO:
"I think it's a show of respect to watch the credits of a movie that you enjoyed."
Of course, for me, it's a sign of my age. My dad taught me to not jump up and run out, especially at the end of a live performance.
However, film is different, but I still enjoy the credits for all the reasons that have been mentioned!
Regards, Tom B. :wink:

Tim RH

Second Unit
Personally, I think it's kind of rude to immediately leave when the end credits come up. The people who made the film deserve better than that, IMHO. I always stay for the credits, unless I didn't like the film .:)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I usually sit through them to avoid the crowd but if it's a heavy movie, one that needs some thought, I'll sit and just decompress; it's helpful to transition from the disbelief to reality.
If the score is really good then by all means I'll stay through the credits. I absolutely love Howard Shore's LOTR:FOTR score. It surpassed all my expectations and in the EE, wow! It was just moving. The 'T' names really got the best passages ;) .
Too I enjoy seeing the names, acknowledging the people who worked hard on a movie and suppose that no one will ever see their name up there. My school, town, and people I know have appeared in film credits in one form or another and I think it's a nice honor for the people who never get recognition beyond a paycheck. These people work very, very, hard through long and odd hours and just taking the time to appreciate them can mean something to them.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I always watch the credits if I can, but some of my friends are less patient. Curiously, this means I'll buy films that I didn't think that much of, simply because the bore in me insists that I see the film properly at some point. Chamber Of Secret's very long crawl will have to wait until DVD, for example, because when you've had a nine-year-old sit still for two-and-a-half hours, one of which is past their bedtime, you're willing to make concessions.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I mostly just stay if I know something is coming at the end. I really hate it when the theatre cuts out the last bit like a local theatre did to The Fast and the Furious. I stayed until the end only to find that the final scene wasn't shown. :angry: I didn't get to see it until the DVD.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I think I started watching the credits all the wat through back when I was in high school and would usually watch a film twice (we could do that back then, while they changed the candles in the projector).

But like many others, I stay to see who were in the bit parts (was that really Sven Ole Thorsen?), what interesting little things are tossed into the credits (particularly in comedies) and hopefully to see some special shot at the end of the movie (a la Ferris Bueller or the not yet mentioned Adventure in Babysitting).

Paul

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
No, never sit through credits. I'm usually tired of sitting in a crowded theater with people jammed around me, and I want OUT.
Also I either didn't like the movie or I'll be getting the DVD. So either I don't particularly care aobut the film or I'll own the credits sequence and can watch it then. If I do care I'll have looked them up on IMDB. I also usually walk in knowing the director, sometimes writer, and usually the major actors; who they are and what they've done that's of note to me.
Finally, when I watch DVDs, I'm usually doing other things too so the credits will run there. I've grown to love credit music, and some flicks have some good music at the end.
;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
BTW why do they usually cut off the blue rating tag at the end of movies on video? That's always bugged me. (Miracle Mile had an air-raid siren during the rating tag which is missing on my LD copy).
BTW it's a breach of contract to cut off ANY part of a movie in the theatre- if a theatre is cutting off the end credits they should be reported to the studio (and anyone who would do that should not be working at a theatre in the first place!)

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
Would a slight hijack be acceptable here in asking which films have particularly interesting credit sequences? Some that come to mind:

Being There [outtakes]
Animal House [the Babs Jansen/Universal Tours offer]
Something Wild [the music]
Married To the Mob [Pfeiffer & Modine carry on!]
Flirting With Disaster [the cast carries on!]
Never Been Kissed [cast & crew -- high school yearbook pics]
Bridget Jones' Diary [both U.S. and U.K. versions]
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones [music suite; Darth Vader motif at the very, very end that is not on the DVD]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks