What's new

Do you prefer a down firing sub or a front firing one ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Just about when I was about to bye a jbl pb12(down firing) I've come acroos a good deal for a front firing velodyne ct100. Which one will be the most "bass satisfying"?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
although i don't have personal experience with a sub, most of the things i've read says it doesn't matter if it is down-firing or side-firing. this makes sense, since (for the most part) the low freq's are non-directional.
the only thing i've heard is not to put a side-firing directly into a wall.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Funny, I've heard the same thing but how do we reconcile not firing a side firing sub into a wall but ALL down firing subs fire directly into the floor?
Food for thought?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
good point jeff...
i guess since the sub has feet, that those 3-5 inches is enough clearance??? what if you've got 1970s shag carpet??? :)
i guess when they say don't put fire a sub into a wall, they mean directly butted up against the wall...
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I've heard the same thing but how do we reconcile not firing a side firing sub into a wall but ALL down firing subs fire directly into the floor?
Because one is designed for it, the other isn't. If you put a down-firing sub up on four tall pillars so that the driver wasn't facing a hard surface, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't sound its best.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so
If you put a down-firing sub up on four tall pillars so that the driver wasn't facing a hard surface, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't sound its best.
hmmm...i never thought about that. so, if you have carpet, would you be better off buying a side-firing?
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Maybe. Or if you put the sub on a stone slab - people with down-firing subs in carpeted rooms have reported improvements by doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks