What's new

Do you guys ever get bored of hearing obvious rip offs? (1 Viewer)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I'm tired of Aerosmith releasing the same album every so often. Maybe that's why I only own one Aerosmith CD (Gems- old school Aerosmith.) But, like someone once said, "if you are gonna steal from somebody, you may as well steal from yourself." Aerosmith have been doing that for years.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rip-offs are nothing new. It's been going on for hundreds of years. Mozart and Beethoven are proably the most ripped composers ever. You'll find their "riffs" in all kinds of music including rock. I bet they were unmercifully ripped in their time too. Francis Scott Key stole the tune of a British drinking song for our national anthem. It's damn near pointless to try to figur who scoped who in rock, R & B, and pop music. If you worked your way back in history you might find out that Robert Johnson was the most influential figur in rock music and he's been dead since the early part of the last century.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
From the "at least rip off a good band" file:

Have you heard of this band, Default? Blatant rip off of that Nickelback ripoff band...hehehe

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Might have been "Five for Fighting" with their post-sept 11 anthem "Superman". Granted the guy sounds very similar to the more ballad-esque matthews... It is fitting, since on the 1997 Five for Fighting debut record, he borrowed GREATLY from Shawn Smith (singer for Satchel, Brad, Pigeonhed). The guy sounded exactly like Shawn.
Yep, that's the one Vince! Man, I hate that song. I think it's the theft of the vocal style that bothers me more than anything else.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Stanley, what makes you so sure that the Germans didn't rip it off from the British?
;)
Anybody ever notice that the original Allman Brothers found their sound a few months after the The Meters released CISSY STRUT?
Which heavy metal bands didn't rip off Black Sabath? Black Sabath ripped off all the blues-men with their speeded up bluuze...
I believe the Beatles were cloned from Buddy Holly's DNA.
Jerry Lee Lewis made a career of copying black artists.
This is all like one of those connect the dots play time books that I do to pass the time....;)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes there's a fine line between copying and influence. I once read that Paul McCartney said that his bassline for "I Saw Her Standing There" was stolen note for note from a Chuck Berry song's bassline. He said that the best songwriters' most valuable skill is knowing how to steal ideas.

NP: T-Bone Burnett "Trap Door"

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
On Mad TV they had a video for "Whereever you will go" by The Calling. Then the "singer" of Creed comes out and starts wailing on the calling guy. Finally "Eddie Vedder" comes out and wails on both of them :)

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
On Mad TV they had a video for "Whereever you will go" by The Calling. Then the "singer" of Creed comes out and starts wailing on the calling guy. Finally "Eddie Vedder" comes out and wails on both of them
...But then, Ray Charles came out and wailed on ALL of 'em....funny stuff.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
yeah influences are gonna happen....But when a band nowadays is taking total sounds and notes from a band like nirvana and PJ that arent from even the seventies its hard to NOT find they are being copycats. Its not that the bands have run out of ideas, its the record companies trying to get things put out that they know will have a familiar sound. They are "playing it safe" so to speak. Thats why their is a "boy band" sound that always the same, just as a "young girl" (britney, christina,Pink etc) sound as well as a "rap/metal" and a "alternative" and a "singer/songwriter" and "R+B" sound. RAP is builty also. For every similar sounding group there are at least 25 original other groups that dont get airplay or only do on "special" radio stations. I listen to a public radio station that plays all types of "popular" music and what there is available today is probably more wide ranging than any time period. Dont give up on music, just find the "real" thing.

Luc D

Second Unit
What about this band called Train? I remember hearing that insipid song of theirs on the radio and thinking, "I guess The Black Crows want to be played on 'adult contemporary' now". Train = The Black Crows multiplied by lame. And the Black Crows aren't even that good to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks