Do you guys ever get bored of hearing obvious rip offs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, May 21, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The other day I heard some song on the car radio called "Hanging By A Moment" by some band called Lifehouse. I thought this was some new tune, although a friend told me it actually was quite popular last summer (guess I'm glad I don't listen to the radio much).
    Anyway- this is one of the most cliche nirvana rip-offs I think I have ever heard. From the more "subtle" things, like the guy's vocal inflections, phrasing of words, guitar tones, drum fills [and buildups], guitar effects [slight chorus from come as you are]--- all the way up to the intro guitar/cello combination which is almost identical to "all apologies" and the little vocal moan thing at 2:30 into the track which is identical to Kurt's at the intro of "Lounge Act" and the ending of "I hate myself and want to die".
    When I heard this, I practically ran off the road laughing at how completely obvious these things were. As each more blatant rip came, I became more and more surprised.
    All I could think of is "this is what Nirvana would have sounded like if they moved to LA and took advice of record producers"-- and I checked the bio of Lifehouse and found":
    [​IMG]
    Anyway- with this, and the very similar experience of hearing "hoobastank" lift a song, almost line for line from refused (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=54291)-- I'm wondering if anyone else gets smug smiles when they hear such blatant copies? It's one thing to have an influence (certainly I can hear elements of others on any rock band)-- but when it becomes so close, down to the prooduction, it seems embarassing.
    -Vince

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, for one thing, there's the much-used Eddie Vedder vocal inflection, where some vowels and r's run together in weird ways. I hear this all the time, but never before Pearljam. And ya know what? It doesn't even sound good.
    The dirge-like down-tuned suicide songs of the a lot of popular bands always reminds me of Alice In Chains.
    What's funniest to me is when bands rip off other bands that weren't even that good to begin with. I mean, I've heard Limp Bizkit clones. At least steal from someone decent.
    NP: Miles Davis, Someday My Prince Will Come, CD, who is truly an original artist. [​IMG]

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Vince,
    I know what you mean. I just recently saw Incubus and Hoobastank opened up for them. After about the 3rd song, I looked at my friends and asked if they were going to start playing Incubus songs. They are a complete ripoff of them. After they were finished my friend looked at me and said "They Hoobastunk." [​IMG]
    I also hate Godsmack. Lets ripoff Alice in Chains and name our band after one of their songs. Scott "I wish I was Eddie Vedder" Stapp is another one who pisses me off. I also feel that Radiohead is trying to be Pink Floyd, the problem is that Pink Floyd does it better. [​IMG]
    Remember that horrible band Crazy Town? They chose the worst band to ripoff....Limp Bizkit. Those dumbasses couldn't even rip-off a good band because they sucked so bad.
    -Dean-
    NP: Dave Matthews Band - Live in Chicago

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That's what I think everytime I hear Creed. If the singer, whatever his name is, would sing normally, I would think he would have problems with some of the material, but now he can just "gnarl" his way through some of the more challenging stuff.

I am so tired of all the Eddie Vedder ripoffs. Vedder didn't even do it as obviously as these other guys...

As for bands that sound alike, there was a song that was popular like 2 years ago or something that sounded EXACTLY like a Beck song. Can't remember what it is, but it was something with "river" or "waterfall" maybe? I heard it and literally laughed at it because it was so ripped off.

7. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I always get a chuckle out of this, and it annoys me all at the same time. I don't even know the name of the guy/band or the song, but there was some tune out there not too long ago that's a dead rip off of Dave Matthews...complete with high inflection at the end of certain lines. Some song about flying.

What I find most amazing about all this sound-alike stuff is that often the rip offs end up getting credit for being "unique" or wind up more popular than the originals.

To this day the most blatant I can ever recall was Queensryche when they released Silent Lucidity. They should have just renamed themselves PinkQueensFloydRyche..Though Days of the New doing a horrible imitation of Alice in Chains comes awful close too.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

9. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Agreed. But they can be catchy. Or maybe they are catchy, because they so slavishly copy the original.

The interesting thing is, in some cases, this kind of copycat work will damn the original for his originality, making what was so inspiring before seem so banal today. Like punk never happened.

10. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Might have been "Five for Fighting" with their post-sept 11 anthem "Superman". Granted the guy sounds very similar to the more ballad-esque matthews... It is fitting, since on the 1997 Five for Fighting debut record, he borrowed GREATLY from Shawn Smith (singer for Satchel, Brad, Pigeonhed). The guy sounded exactly like Shawn.

-Vince

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Since I hated both the original and its clone, I always laugh at Billy Ocean's Carribean Queen, which musically is the same backing tracks as Michael Jackson's Billy Jean. I don't think it gets much more blatent than that.

13. Joseph Young

The guitar and bass riff for "Life Goes On" off The Damned's Strawberries album sounds exactly like Nirvana's "Come As You Are."
    My point being that, if you look hard enough you're going to find musical similarities that may or may not be direct ripoffs of other music.
    I am more bothered if a band's production value, general vibe and attitude in a song or press junket seem like a plastic veneer of some other (better) band... all the above examples are good. Although I have to admit that the Butthole Surfers don't take themselves nearly as seriously as a lot of these other Total Request Live cookie cutter electro/industrial/rap metal outfits, so it's okay in my book.
    I am less bothered when there is the ocassional tonal or tone progression similarity, because it's impossible to be 100% original. I think that the trick with bands in the music industry today is to be successful and not have the original voice/inspiration for the band get drowned out by a committee of producers and market research monkies. But 'original voice' and 'music industry' cannot exist in the same space.
    -j

14. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer

A couple months ago I saw the Big Star Reunion at Noise Pop. Struck me how this little known band from the 70s sounded so much like Teenage Fanclub, early REM and a whole host of Bands...talk about the Motherload.

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think that "exactly" is a bit of a stretch- as I have had a copy of Strawberries since I was 13 and never noticed this until you pointed it out. Even then, it bares a much great resemblance to "Bandages" by Crackerbash than to Come as You Are.

The point to my initial post wasn't copping a riff (as I could point out a million due to the fact that pop radio recycles the same basic chord progressions once a year)- dozens have pointed out that "smells like teen spirit" borrows the intervals from "more than a Feeling" (and if you listen, bares resemblance to BOC's "Godzilla" as well)-- you will hear that sort of this all the time- since there are only 12 notes, and finite intervals.

The point to the post was bands that don't bare a passing comparison in a chord progression on a single tune, but rather borrow stylistically, texturally and production wise. I think if you've heard the Lifehouse song in question and had a decent knowledge of Nirvana tunes- you'd hear a half dozen elements which were very, very similar.

Never did they lift a progression or a series of notes- but the song structure, the playing styles, the vocal delivery, the guitar sounds- all specifically designed to sound a particular way. I can't believe that it's not a conscious effort to emulate, or if they came by it honest that someone didn't point it out as really derivative.

-V

18. Joseph Young

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler