What's new

Do you get ID'd when you buy movies? (1 Viewer)

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I got Creepshow yesterday at walmart and they ID'd me for it. I'm 30 years old and was ID'd for Creepshow. I started laughing.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
at least it was for a movie with a questionable title, try getting carded there for the whole nine yards., im 28 and i looked at her and said, what did i buy that i have to be 17 for? (the display read, is customer 17)

another time about 2 years ago, i bought a xmas gift pack that had all this stuff in it, one was a knife, i carded to make sure i was 16, again, i was 26 at the time. Both instances made me laugh.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I was ID'd for my copy of Armageddon : The Criterion Collection.. PG-13 identification?:laugh: I was 19 at the time.

I took it as a compliment.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I wondered about this, as MPAA rating is not law-- i don't think legally they would have to go by their guideline-- must be a store policy.

I did, however, get carded going into "Jason vs Freddy"- and I'm almost (when the people I was with started razzing me, the lady in the ticket booth backed off, and told me just to have ID ready in case they wanted it inside). Guess even at 28, I have a hard time passing for 17.

-V

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Great stories, everyone. I have never been carded for a movie purchase (and at age 23, I still look pretty young), but this reminds me of the time I went to a baseball game at Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City. Everyone who purchased an alcoholic beverage was carded, including the seventy-year-old man who sat next to me.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I got carded at Walmart also for buying Open Range (I'm 25) and the woman said they are carding for everything now since they're (meaning authorities?) are really cracking down on selling to underage people.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Wow, thats never happened to me. I do most of my shopping at BestBuy, but I've bought a few things at WalMart, and have never been carded. I'm 25.

I do see kids being carded at the movie theater though. It's nice to see the theaters keeping the kids out of the R rated movies, and it's fun to watch the kids try to get around it. I once had to remind a panicky teen that PayCheck was only rated PG-13.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I've never been carded on a purchase, though I was carded (at 20) when I went to see Beyond Rangoon. Would someone underage really try to sneak into a movie about the dictatorship in Burma?

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Nope, never been carded. Not even when I bought The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover at Media Play. Doesn't seem to matter if I shave or don't shave either.:D

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I'm never carded either. I think it might have something to do with all the grey hair on my head :)

De

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Curtains? They use a swinging saloon-style door here. Makes for some funny gay cowboy jokes. (Not that theres anything wrong with that).:D

I was carded for playstation games twice at Wal*Mart.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Being carded when you're young is not really a problem. It's when you start being carded when you're OLD that it becomes a mixed blessing! You get the senior citizen discounts only once you've proven you're over the hill. :D

BTW, I'm not there yet. But I'm not that far off! :)

I remember Ralph Macchio (The Karate Kid) mentioning on a talk show it was becoming a problem having such a young looking face. Even at thirty he still looked like a teenager despite being married and having a family!

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I' m almost 20 and I get carded even with a full beard nowadays(to be fair I look all of 14 without it). Thing is four years ago i bought se7en at wal-mart no questions asked.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I got got carded a couple weeks ago buying Dark City at Walmart. I'm 24. I think it's a Walmart thing.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
like i said, im 28 and get carded for alcohol ALL the time. I've made it a habbit now to ask people how old i look. most say 21 or 22, so i guess its good i look young.

i think its cause i till like walking up and downthe toy aisle at wal mart, i told a friend when she looked at me wierd sunday when i said i had to look at the toys, that the toys keep me young.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I get carded at Walmart ALL of the time and I'm almost 31. I always have my wallet out anyway so I just flash them the card. No biggie.:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what WalMart would do if you declined to show your license? As there is no law that says that a person has to be a certain age to buy anything (other than alchohol, tobacco and firearms), maybe someone young-looking could sue WalMart for being anal.

I always thought it was ironic that in some parts of the country you need to be 21 to rent an adult video... yet you only need to be 18 to star in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks