What's new

Do you get ID'd when you buy movies? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At the theater I work at, we have to card people for R rated films, I'm happy they started doing this for DVDs and such in Wal-Mart.

Videogames have been a big controversy because they've been selling M-rated games (like Manhunt, Grand Theft Auto, and so on) to little kids. I was IDed at a Toys R Us for buying the game XIII, but that's the only time it's happened. I don't buy many DVDs in stores now, so this probably won't affect me.

And if this keeps politicians and government from censoring certain DVDs/games then I'm for it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The most fearsome memory of my theatre-working days was the day when the manager stopped a young Asian woman from entering an R rated film because her parent was white. How could she possible be the parent's daughter he demanded to know as he was taking their tickets away and preparing to force them out of the theater.

He evidently hadn't heard of adoption.

I was SO hoping he'd be sued for discrimination but they didn't pursue it, even though it was surely humiliating to them, what with dozens of people witnessing them being stopped and harassed by the manager.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I get carded almost everytime I have bought pg-13 or higher rated films at walmart. I was carded when I bought batman, and I was 21-22 at the time.

I actually don't mind it, and I'm glad they do it because kids today are looking ALOT older then they are.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was carded at Wal-Mart this past summer when I bought The Negotiator, Easy Rider, Simply Irresistible, and I Gone in 60 Seconds(1974), and a couple others I can't rememver at the moment, and was 23 at the time. She said I didn't even look 15. Since I didn't have my ID with me, the woman refused to sell them to me and my mom had to buy them for me. The most funny part of it is she even refused with my mom being there with me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I guess I just don't agree with the policy. If you can afford it, you can buy it, period. If your mom will take it away from you when she finds it in your room, fine, but that's for the mom to decide. Not WalMart.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Will_B,

I kinda understand your point but alot of parents dont pay attention to their kids or what theyre watching (remember Columbine?)so I dont care that stores card the kids. I DO find it a problem when they are carding a middle aged person or a senior citizen.

PS: Ive never been carded. (Im 30)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

I would normally agree but I received a nice, rude awakening after working at Suncoast.

A colleague had sold a copy of Goodfellas to some high school kid. A couple of days later, during my shift, I was the guy who got yelled at by the angry parent.

I figured if movie theaters were asking for ID, then I would too if, for no other reason, than to save myself the hassle of dealing with an irate parent when I could be helping customers.

De

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've never been carded for anything, not even when I order beer at a restaurant. I'm sure its coming though as I'm only 23 and have a lot of purchases left to make in my lifetime.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I thought it was rated R with the additional content. I notice that you live in Scotland though, unless you're lazy and haven't bothered to change your profile. :)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I got carded a couple years ago at Wal-mart, but I can't remember what I bought, I was 26.
Just a couple of months ago I got carded going to see Love, Actually at the local discount theater by the same clerk who sold me a ticket to Alien: DC a couple days before!!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Hey, at least WalMart is just carding people, rather than offering edited versions, like they do with their music!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I've only been carded twice. Once, when I saw The Matrix Revolutions at a movie theater on the strip. Another time when I bought the Grand Theft Auto: Double Pack for X-Box at GameCrazy.

I never buy DVDs (or anything) at Wal-Mart, but the other times I've bought R rated or Unrated titles (from Best Buy, Target, Borders, anywhere), I've never been carded. This is before I was 17 and after I turned 17 (same applies to the movie theaters).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've never been carded for theatrical movies, DVDs, games, etc...but I did get carded for being in the Liquor section at Osco last week (I'm 22). I can understand being carded for buying something, but jeez, I was just walking in the section with my Dad :)

Come to think of it, I did get carded for buying GTA1 back in '99. That was interesting.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I never get carded at Walmart, but they always ask me how old I am. Seems kind of pointless as the only time I'm at Walmart is between 2-5AM, in a college town, and paying with a credit card.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Blockbuster (I know, I know) carded me for trying to buy From Hell. Problem is I don't have any government isued i.d. so they wouldn't let me buy it. That's the only time I've ever been carded and I've bought some sick titles (Evil Dead, Re-Animator, Texas Chain Saw Massacre) while I was underage. I used to look young but now I look like I'm in my mid twenties. Yeah.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
reminds me of a situation i had there. i was 16, and i had just received my license, and i wanted to get some gas-treatment stuff, so i head down to my local walmart. i take it to the register, and the lady wants to see my id. of course i asked why, she said i could pour it on something and light a fire. as i handed her my license, being a cocky 16 year old kid (as opposed to a slightly less cocky 25 year old now) i said "you know, if i wanted to start a fire, i wouldnt use this stuff. if i can drive a car, i can buy gallons of this flammable liquid called 'gasoline' without having to show my id at all" guess i was a bit harsh, but i wouldnt have said that to just anyone, this lady was a real bitch to my mother on several occasions, and i think she wanted to check my id to give me a hard time. the reason i think that is because ive purchased that stuff from other cashiers at walmart with no hassle...and i get carded every now and then when buying alcohol, but always at a restaurant. never when buying a dvd though.

CJ

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The one time I was ever carded at a movie theater was for "South Park," but I don't think that should count since they were carding people who were obvious in their 40s. Musta been some blanket policy.

I was never carded for a video rental or a DVD purchase. I rented "Showgirls" and "Crash" (both NC-17) when I was 14 or 15, not a problem.

Occasionally, I get carded for alcohol, but that seems to only happen in Boston (and not in New York, where my family lives).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks