What's new

Do the new DLP's have the burnin problems? (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hey guys. I am really naive about RPTV's. I have been dead set against them all this time because I hate the picture on them. I have been planning this whole time that when I got my new TV (taxes, hopefully) I would get the best Sony Vega 36" or 40" direct view. The other day I actaully was able to see a Plasma screen up close. I never look at the TV's anymore. But the detail and the screen being crystal clear from every angle and even when I put my face right up to the thing, just blew me away.

So, then I do some research and find out about these new DLP chip TV's. I hear the picture is almost if not perfectly on par with a Plasma screen. Well, if that is true, this is a very good thing. However, I hear that Plasma screen also can get bad burn in. So, do these DLP tv's have the exact same chance of burn in as any other RPTV? And, as far as viewing off center, as they clear as a bell like the Plasma's? Or still like regular RPTV's?

The burn in thing really really bother's me, almost as bad as the off-center viewing problems. So, I'd like some input and opinions from people that have them, or have seen them in stores. Otherwise, I will just stick to my original plan of the Sony Vega.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
DLPs can not burn in. Nor can LCD or LCOS.
However, the screens employed seem to have a narrower viewing angle on some of these units.
Examine the DLP RPTVs carefully. There seems to be a Love / Hate debate across many forums regarding these technologies.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
As stated above, DLP = no burn-in. I don't think that they match the brightness / vividness of a plasma, though (yet). you'll have to see for yourself wrt angle.

Doug

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Adam,

I don't find the current crop of RPTV's using LCD, DLP, or LCOS technology to be on par with the best of plasmas either. Still, they do offer some nice images. Definitely sharp images.

Each person has their own preferences about what they like, what will work for them, etc., so maybe you'll find something like the Samsung 507 is just what you need. It sure impresses most non-videophiles when they first see it.

This is sort of the first generation (not counting some previous not-quite-released models) of non-CRT RPTV's, so the next crop of new models may offer some distinct advantages from either a viewing or usability perspective. For instance, the fact that the Samsung doesn't allow you to control settings (color, contrast, etc.) on a per input basis would drive me bananas.

Keep your eye out for "rainbows" with the DLP units--some people are sensitive to them.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The viewing angle really depends on the type of screen. The higher the gain and larger the lenticular screen pitch of the screen, the narrower the viewing angle.
Check out this lower gain one, with .1mm pitch (Toshiba 57HLX82, LCOS unit):

That's taken from almost 60 degrees off center!

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hmm. And this tv in the URL is a DLP version? See, to me, even and great as that may be, the image is stil unacceptable to me. When I saw the plasma, I was just blown away. I couldnt believe the sharpness and color depth from even the sharpest of angles.

I dont know, maybe I just break down and get a plasma and watch for burn in. I assume Plasma's are more suseptible to burn in?

Can anyone tell me this? How does the 40" Sony Vega compare to a Plasma? Is the picture quality close? I have not compared the two directly.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hey Adam,

If you haven't compared the two directly, get yourself over to a Tweeters--in most I've been in (in San Diego) they've got both a number of plasmas and typically the 40" Sony setup somewhere. Easy enough to compare. Note--none of the sets will be calibrated, so they aren't producing their best possible picture, but it may give you some ideas.

One big difference--the 40" Sony isn't 16x9 (it's the old 4x3). So when watching widescreen movies (you don't watch Pan & Scan, do you?) the resulting image will be smaller.

Personally I prefer the image on a properly setup plasma (not even considering the setup issues of that honking-big CRT)--but opinions vary.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
BTW--you can see that Toshiba for yourself at the Tweeters in Escondido (Valley Hill exit off I-15, I believe).

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I love the DLP technology. The predicted lifespan is excellent, given the ability to simply replace a lamp when the time comes (8000 hour bulb life). The life of the DMD chip in DLP's is estimated to be 100,000 hours. The DLP set is one you could keep for a very long time, and no burn-in problem is a plus.

Plasma's are also amazing display devices, but twice the cost of a similarly sized DLP, and the picture in my opinion is not significantly better on the plasmas you'll find at Best Buy, Tweeters, etc. Certainly not twice the price better for me.

It's a matter of opinion and personal tastes. If plasmas and DLP's were the same price, I'd probably be a plasma man simply for the dimensions of the sets, not picture superiority.

LCD, Plasma and LCos are very expensive to repair, and I have seen missing pixels in LCD sets. The warranty on the Sony LCD stated repairs would be made when the missing pixel count reached 250. Food for thought!

It will be interesting to see the evolution of display devices over the next few years. A buyers market for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks