What's new

Do some TVs not work well with widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32 inch non-flat screen Sharp Tv that costed just a few hundred bucks.

I am playing the End of Evangelion DVD on it, and it is widescreen, but I don't get the entire picture. It looks as though the picture is a tiny bit too big for the TV.

I have already tried going to the set up and changing the screen size but that doesn't change a thing.

Are there certain TVs that just don't let you see the entire widescreen?

The DVD is 1:85:1 just like the theatrical version, and I have seen the theatrical version and know for a fact that it was slightly wider than this.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Pick up the Avia dvd and check the overscan test pattern (you should pick up this - or other calibration disc - anyhow and calibrate your set since it will make a difference). Your Sharp tv most likely has a lot of overscan - which doesn't surprise me. I had a 25 inch Sharp that had about 10 percent on the left hand side. While this seems like a lot, it is fairly normal for cheap tvs. It is done to hide the fact that the convergence and geometry along the outer edges of the picture tube is bad. Most sets ~4-5 percent overscan and some is needed since the extreme outer edges of the actual source being displayed can have junk/weird lines in it.

hope this helps,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks