Do some TVs not work well with widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin_Su, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32 inch non-flat screen Sharp Tv that costed just a few hundred bucks.

I am playing the End of Evangelion DVD on it, and it is widescreen, but I don't get the entire picture. It looks as though the picture is a tiny bit too big for the TV.

I have already tried going to the set up and changing the screen size but that doesn't change a thing.

Are there certain TVs that just don't let you see the entire widescreen?

The DVD is 1:85:1 just like the theatrical version, and I have seen the theatrical version and know for a fact that it was slightly wider than this.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Pick up the Avia dvd and check the overscan test pattern (you should pick up this - or other calibration disc - anyhow and calibrate your set since it will make a difference). Your Sharp tv most likely has a lot of overscan - which doesn't surprise me. I had a 25 inch Sharp that had about 10 percent on the left hand side. While this seems like a lot, it is fairly normal for cheap tvs. It is done to hide the fact that the convergence and geometry along the outer edges of the picture tube is bad. Most sets ~4-5 percent overscan and some is needed since the extreme outer edges of the actual source being displayed can have junk/weird lines in it.

hope this helps,

--tom

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Thomas said. Overscan.