What's new

Do Receiver Settings Automatically Override DVD Player Settings? (1 Viewer)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
When you own a DVD player with which you can set speaker distances, levels, crossover frequencies, etc. (and most all DVD players do, now), do your receiver settings automatically override them? Should you "zero out" the DVD player settings, leave them at the factory defaults, or what? I consider myself pretty HT tech saavy, but this is something that has always made me scratch my head and go, "huh?"

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Shane,
If you want the DVD player to do all the processing, select the settings there, but you have to output the signals through your analog connections (6 or 8, depending upon whether you have 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1). The receiver then should just amplify those signals without any further processing.

If you send the signal out of the DVD player via a digital connection, all the processing is done in the receiver, so select the settings there.

If you do both, like me (digital out for movies, analog out for SACD & CD), select the settings in both places.

Doug

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Okay, got it! That's exactly what I have going - optical out for movies & DVD audio and discrete analog out for SACD & CD. So, I just need to calibrate the DVD player settings for analog outs. Seems I did read that once upon a time (perhaps in an instruction manual), but must've totally slipped my mind. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks