What's new

Do I need shielded speaker wires to (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
hook up my speakers. I want to run the wires to the back surronds underneath the floor and then up thru the floor. I am wondering if the electrical wiring, furnace vents, etc will cause any type of interference.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It is VERY unlikely that you will receive ANY audible interference using unshielded speaker wire. Because of the amount of current in the high level signal, it is quite insusceptible to electrical interference.
If you're running a subwoofer cable also, you will want to make sure it is well shielded, because it can be susceptible to electrical interference because it is carrying a low level, un-amplified, signal.
Hope this helps :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

Stephen is absolutely correct. There is one thing to keep in mind, however. Avoid running your speaker wires parallel with electrical for a long distance. If this is necessary in your application, keep them separated by at least one, preferable two feet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AllanN

Supporting Actor
If you are running wires under the floor or in wall you might need a different grade of speaker wire that is specifically for in wall installation to keep up with fire code. Im sorry that I don't know the exact type of wire you need. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks