Do I need shielded speaker wires to

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

hook up my speakers. I want to run the wires to the back surronds underneath the floor and then up thru the floor. I am wondering if the electrical wiring, furnace vents, etc will cause any type of interference.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

It is VERY unlikely that you will receive ANY audible interference using unshielded speaker wire. Because of the amount of current in the high level signal, it is quite insusceptible to electrical interference.
    If you're running a subwoofer cable also, you will want to make sure it is well shielded, because it can be susceptible to electrical interference because it is carrying a low level, un-amplified, signal.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brad,

Stephen is absolutely correct. There is one thing to keep in mind, however. Avoid running your speaker wires parallel with electrical for a long distance. If this is necessary in your application, keep them separated by at least one, preferable two feet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

If you are running wires under the floor or in wall you might need a different grade of speaker wire that is specifically for in wall installation to keep up with fire code. Im sorry that I don't know the exact type of wire you need. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?