Do I need a sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mirko, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mirko

Mirko Agent

I am finishing up my humble ht. Panasonic 42" plasma, jbl L-100 maind, JBL center, Cambridge wall mounted sorrounds.

My question is: The JBL-s go pretty low (I think). Do I need a sub?

I had originally decided on a HSU vtf2 but it's only 10" and I'm wondering whether I'll even notice a difference.

Any thoughts?

Mirko

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Those JBL's do not go sufficently low enough to replicate home theater bass and yes you will notice a difference. Whether you deem the difference worth the extra cost is up to you. Me, I would never have a HT setup without a dedicated sub.

3. GregAV

GregAV Agent

I also thought my JBL's went pretty low (S38 @45Hz), and for music they're great - but for HT adding a sub "will" make a world of difference. If you have a small to medium sized room, I'd recommend the new DLS #300-632 from Parts Express. It's cheap at $125, and will provide you with a taste of what you've been missing from DVD playback.

If after you've dialed in the sub and you find you're an LFE junkie that needs more output than the #300-632 can provide, Parts Express has a 45 day money back guarantee.

I just got my DLS a couple of weeks ago and am quite satisified with the "bang for the buck" ratio.

Have fun,
    Greg