Do I need a professinal to calibrate my TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Alex-F-V, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

Well I am glad to say I have finally purchased a 43" sammy DLP and its coming wednesday!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But my question for you guys is do I need someone to come to my house and 'profesionally' calibrate it. Or if I use Avia or one of those types of disc will it be just as good?

What exactly can a profesional do that I can't?

Thnak you in advance,
    Alex

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A professional can calibrate your monitor's grayscale-tracking ability from the service menu, using specialized equipment. While a calibration disc is essential, you cannot do a grayscale calibration from the user menus.

3. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

How important is this step for the average HT?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Grayscale calibration is something that techs will do faster/better, and ISFs or other calibrators with good experience with your display will definitely be able to get the *MOST* out of your set.

You can play around with grayscale yourself with some nifty contraptions without having to shell out BIG $$ for a colorimiter, etc.

Anyway, I straw from my point which is this:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS A *THOUSAND TIMES OVER* calibrate your set with a test disc. I can't stress this enough. This will provide a *VAST* improvement in picture quality on almost all TVs, and those that remain, may not be quite "vast" but VERY significant indeed, and worth WAY more than the measly 25-40 bucks you pay for the disc.

This won't be totally as good as a pro, as they can calibrate things like grayscale, and get things REALLY good with so much experience, however, I DEFINITELY think you should calibrate on your own first. It's not so much a "test disc" OR Pro calibration, it's more that a test disc lets you handle all the basics for a GREAT picture, and you call in the pro if you really care about the picture quality for that nth degree, they can really make a set shine.

If you're thinking about how important grayscale is, IMO it's not beans in comparison to the HUGE importance of a basic calibration. Once you know good video with that, then you might justify taking it to that last step.

Hope that rambling made sense. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

Chris that is exactly the responce I was hoping for. Of course I will take your guy's advice and use a calibration disc, and if I really feel that I need more from my set I will call a pro. Thx a lot everyone!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

I suggest you to calibrate your set by yourself, it´s entertaining, a learning experience, and improves your ability to distinguish picture detail ( and unfortunately also picture flaws), [​IMG] , I´ve calibarted my set with Avia, a think 3-4 times and the parameters vary a little, every time, I think you become more skilled with time, maybe in a future I´ll need a pro to go further, (first I´ll ask my wife and wallet [​IMG] )

Wish my comment help you