What's new

Do I need a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony STRK670P receiver that came with my Sony HTIB system. I have just begun upgrading my htib by ordering two JBL E80 loudspeakers and a JBL E35 center channel. Now, I was told by another member here that my current receiver could handle them, but that I might want to upgrade it down the road.

*Question: What would a better receiver offer that my current one doesn't? One thing I have noticed is my receiver doesn't give me some options that a lot of setup guides suggest, like setting my speakers to "large" or "small." My receiver only allows me to adjust the speaker placement in terms of distance (in .1 meter increments, from 1 meter to 7 meters). It also lets you adjust the decibel level of each speaker and the balance of the LR speakers. **Also, I've read a lot about calibrating/customizing the "crossover" settings between speakers. My receiver doesn't let me do anything like that.

So would buying a better receiver allow me to tweak all of the above things? Also, a better receiver would make my new speakers sound better, right?

Which receivers do you recommend for around $300? That $300 price could be retail or a more expensive receiver that is discounted to around $300 at various dealers.

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Typically the receiver that came with HT package are skinned down to the basics. A Yamaha RX-V450 will suit you just fine with all the tweaking you mention above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks