What's new

Do I need 1080P (1 Viewer)

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I thought researching extensively would make my choice easier but It is making it more difficult. Here is my issue. I was all ready for the 720P until I read more about the 1080P. I just don't know if it will be worth the extra cost. After reading many posts I have decided to go with a 50 inch. My viewing distance is about 11 feet away and I watch television for the most part. Probably only one or 2 movies per month. I have heard that from beyond 10 feet the better resolution would not that be noticeable. I am wondering in the real world. If I am watching a non HD show on TBS will a 1080P look any better than a 720P? I am under the impression that the 480I signal is up-converted to the televisions native resolution(though I could be wrong).

Blu ray is not in my future and I have heard it will take a number of years before Comcast changes to 1080P. I am moving up for a 32 inch JVC CRT so I think most anything will be dramatic. I am mostly looking at the Samsung 86 or 87 and to complicate things I am looking at the vizio 50 inch Plasma that I could get for $1520 with a coupon and upgrade to HD through coupon. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

g-man

Grip
Real Name
keith
sorry new member can someone please explain to me why is the toshiba42hp95 more expensive than the toshiba 42hpx66. I read somewhere that the 42hp95 has a better de-interlacing chip than the 42hpx66. please help.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The signal should be upconverted if you feed it a 720p signal. I seriously doubt you'll see much difference at all -- especially on a 50".

If you're not planning to feed it a 1080p signal anytime soon then it probably wouldn't really be worth the additional cost.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Most HD tv is shot in 720p and a few shows are shot at 1080i. Unless your going to Bluray or HDDVD then 1080p isn't neccasary. Even with BR and HDDVD its still not as necassary.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator

I would say that 1080p is the preferred capture medium size. 1080 is mostly Sony's size and Panasonics cameras are mostly 720P.
The 720P stuff usually applies to "live" tv such as sporting events because of its 60 fps frame rate.
The HD broadcast deliverables standards are either 1080I or 720P. For example-FOX & ABC are 720P networks while CBS & NBC and most others are 1080I networks.
Most mastering gets done at the highest possible standard and downconverted for deliverable then.
All feature films get mastered at 1080 and not 720.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Need is a relative term.

Given your description of your viewing habits and what appears to be your budget, I'd say no. It doesn't sound like early adopter is a term that applies to you and that's where I see 1080p at the moment. Over the next few years more and more media will take advantage of the extra resolution but it will still stay essentially in the enthusiast realm for some time IMO.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A 1080p set with a poor de-interlacing chip (over 90% are like that) will give 1080 resolution performance no better than a 720p set. You would have to wait until you decide to and afford to hang an external de-interlacer on the back which could improve performance a lot but that would work only if the set has a 1080p HDCP input.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/hdtvnot.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks