What's new

do DVD-A players exist that decode dvd-v through the analog outputs? (1 Viewer)

Steve Rabbit

Agent
I am looking for a DVD player. my video requirements are pretty simple, the plan as it is now is to run component out to my reciever. But I would prefer a DVD player that will decode the signal itself, so that I may use the 5.1 analog outputs themselves as reciever inputs for movies, rather than using the digital output and using the reciever as the decoder.

but does such an animal exist? or am I stuck using the decoding on my reciever?

I was looking at the cambridge 540D as a dvd player, but I can't confirm that it will play video DVD's using the analog outputs.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I believe you can, but I think you get basic 5.1, I dont believe you can get ES, DTS, etc. etc. but I could be wrong. Now you have me curious too.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My two players (Pio 45a and Denon 1600) will decode DD and DTS out the 5.1 analogs, along with DVD-A (both) and SACD (45a only). Connected to a AVR with a 5.1 analog in, and away you go. I did just that with my Pio 45a and Marantz SR-96 (old school, DPL only AVR) until I upgraded to a newer AVR.

In fact, although I lack information to back it up, I would wager that most universal players will do so.

I would concur with Jean D that you will not likely get DDEX or DTS ES/EX with such a player.

All that said, if your AVR does have a digital input, I don't see why you would not want to use it for movies, as it is very likely that its Bass Management and Time Alignment will be superior to most Uni-Players.

I don't know your Cambridge though. Does it do DVD-A in addition to DVD-V? There are some DVD-V only machines that have built in DD and/or DTS decoders (My Sony 650D for example), but they are rare these days, as that feature is almost exclusively the domain of uni-players.

BGL

I have a Pioneer DV-578A-S player and it decodes DTS and DD out of the 5.1 analog. My receiver (pioneer vsx-812) simply goes into this mode of dumbness... as far as decoding goes. All it says is 7.1 channal input, no anything about DD, DTS, SACD, etc.

Oh yea, and my recevier really won't let me change any options while it is in this mode of accepting 7.1 channel inputs. Volume is about the only thing you can change.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I am pretty sure that any DVD player with analog 5.1 channel outputs and built-in DD/DTS decoders will do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks