What's new

Do DLP, LCOS LCD, or any other fixed pixel display need ISF calibration? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am in the market for a new hdtv and am leaning towards DLP or LCD and am wondering how easy set up is on these units. Do they need to be calibrated like CRT displays?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Perhaps there aren't as many things to 'fiddle' with, but these types of displays will benefit from accurate grey scale and a bit of tender loving care just as much as CRT based sets do.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had my LCD projector calibrated and the amount of time spent was a lot less than would be necessary for a crt, yes. The grayscale was adjusted as JohnnyG suggests.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depending on the tech be it FPTV or RPTV tech ... you look to grayscale and colour decoder and some geometry items like overscan and centering.

sometimes there are other things like edge enhancement circuits that need to be killed ...

Faster ... but of course the pricing for such a service reflects the fact that less work is needed.

Regards

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Of course, every display will benefit with at least basic calibration. The extra setup that is involved with CRT is just that: setup. I wouldn't really consider it calibration. While it is paramount to have a good setup to get the most out of the display, it isn't directly a part of the more classical calibration items, like color temparature, greyscale tracking, etc etc.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Not really. Toshiba has taken a big step backward when it comes to calibration this year. You can only do grayscale and that is about it.

Regards

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Michael, have you had a chance to play with the HM85 sets yet? I know the 52" is available... I wonder if they 'corrected' this step back from last year?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I haven't had a chance to play with one yet ... likely tomorrow night when I visit the store to play ...

regards

Well that is definately not good news. Using the overscan screens on Avia and DVE it shows exactly 5% on all sides. Is that average? Should I be happy with that on a $3.5k set?

I wouldnt really have put much thought into if DVE hadnt mentioned that DVD producers no longer compensate for the overscan and take important info and shots right out to the edges of the picture.

Thanks for all your input on this guys.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I understand overscan on a analog setup, but why would there be overscan on a digital set? If the transmission is 1280x720 and the set is the same, the set should translate the image pixel for pixel, especially if the connection is DVI, correct? Otherwise, wouldn't there be scaling artifacts, scaling the 5% overscanned image up to the native resolution of the display?

I personally think that a 5% overscan on a higher end TV is a little much. Combine that with the fact that you cant correct it and it is unacceptable. Am I the only one who feels that way?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
On an analog set, 5% overscan was always the value to calibrate to, anything less and you may pick up flickering scan lines on the bottom of the screen from a few cable channels or from a VCR.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

5% is safe ... and when you are on an assembly line ... you use 5% ... because you don't have the time to dicker with units down to 2% say if some of the units can't do that ... for what ever reason.

More time on the line means more money out of pocket.

Regards

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
"Michael, have you had a chance to play with the HM85 sets yet? I know the 52" is available... I wonder if they 'corrected' this step back from last year?"

Greetings

I was at A&B Sound last night and I finally got a chance to play with the new units. I calibrated the new 46" HM85 unit and before I started, I specifically looked for some of the more glaring problems that the 84 series had.

Here are the highlights from the calibration.

The Service menu is just as limited as before.

Grayscale in Movie mode was 9500K ...

The discoloration in the grayscale appeared to be pretty much gone. YES!!! They listened!!

Grayscale tracking to D6500 was amazingly good ... almost ruler flat from 30% to 100% white with a slight dip to 7100 at 20%. This was very nice. Achieved in 5 minutes no less.

From a pure image perspective, the new 85 series ... at least this one, was a very pleasant surprise and gets my tentative "thumbs up." It is better than the 44" Toshiba unit from the 84 line which was the best looking of that line.

I won't be calling the new units my 75% sets ... they are my 85% sets.

Regards

So if it is not correctable via ISF could a HTPC correct it for me? I have read that you can download programs to reduce overscan on HTPC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks